Ft Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotels

jcg4550

I will be on the Allure in November and planned on arriving a day early in Ft. Lauderdale.

What are some of the best hotels close to the cruise port that anyone

can recommend for us. I would appreciate any help.

Edited by jcg4550

I will be on the Allure in November and planned on arriving a day early.

One of the best is the Hyatt Pier 66. Also Embassy Suites.

You should also check with the Florida Departures Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Do Check the port of call board. There are lots! I have personally stayed at they Hyatt Pier 66 and the Roadway Dania beach. Embassy Suites 17th ST gets mentioned a lot. I do recommend booking as far ahead as you can. This is popular place for conventions and other events and Nov is peak season with as many as 6 ships in port some days.

Although, truth be told, my preference now is always to stay in Miami or Miami Beach the night before. I find Ft. Lauderdale to be a dreadfully dull and generic city. Nothing but strip malls and chain restaurants that I can easily visit at home. Conversely, Miami is a vibrant international city with culture and dining that Ft. Lauderdale can't touch. I actually now fly into Miami instead of Ft. Lauderdale. Then, day of cruise, ride up along the beach.

If you're going a full day before and want to enjoy the beach and an upscale hotel, we love the Marriott Harbor Beach and like Westin Beach Resort. They are usually in the $200-$275 range.

If you want a basic, no frills hotel with breakfast and ok rooms, the Embassy Suites and Hyatt Place on 17th St. can't really be beat. We usually do one of the two of these if we are flying in late afternoon or at night and just need place to sleep. I usually do Priceline for this area and end up with one of these two.

The 17th Street area hotels are the most convenient to the airport and the ship.

Includes a two hour happy hour in the evening and a full, cooked to order breakfast in the am.

Could not have said it better.

Staying there for our third time in a couple weeks.

Booked almost one year ago and got a great rate.

Good luck.

Edited by Lionesss

Includes a two hour happy hour in the evening....

It's a pretty bad excuse for a happy hour though... Last time I stayed there (2014) it was quite literally a few 1.5 liter bottles of $5 "white" and "red" and a few bottom shelf liquors. It's a departure morning migrane waiting to happen :eek:!

They also had hors d'oeuvres, little cups of melted velveeta with pretzels and mini corn chips. The Embassy Suites gives a new meaning to cheese and wine :p.

We always just run across the parking lot to Total Wine.

I will be on the Allure in November and planned on arriving a day early in Ft. Lauderdale.

Not sure when you're sailing. Hopefully, you're not departing on the 8 Nov cruise. Fort Lauderdale boat show is 5-9 November and rooms are already scarce. I booked Oasis that weekend back in Dec 14. Embassy suites and all the hotels around the port were already sold out. Wound up booking a Courtyard by Marriott. They're booked out now too.

Another vote for the Hyatt Place on 17th.

You can walk to the beach right behind the hotel. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance as well. And we made a couple of trips to the convenience store across the street before boarding the ship.

Not sure if they still offer it, but we were able to arrange for a nice air conditioned ride in a Suburban limo to the pier on cruise morning. I don't remember the price, but it was really inexpensive.

They Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is much closer to the pier, but we tend to not want to spend too much $$$ on our pre-cruise hotel stays... you may feel differently.

Have fun!

Another vote for the Hyatt Place on 17th.

You can walk to the beach right behind the hotel. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance as well. And we made a couple of trips to the convenience store across the street before boarding the ship.

Are you sure you are talking about the Hyatt Place on 17th when you are talking about the beach being right behind the hotel? There is no beach close to the hotel. It is about a 6-8 block walk to any water from there.

Tim

We just stayed at the Comfort suites Airport & Cruise Port(1800S Federal Highway) for $99. The room was spotless and the hotel met our needs. They serve basic breakfast with some warm options (waffles, scrambled eggs, etc.). It is certainly not a fancy breakfast, but fine for the morning before a cruise :D

We drove, so getting to the port was very easy. I did see the shuttle sign up and prices. The shuttle was a bit much... $6 one way to the port and $16 round trip. If you have quite a few in your party, a taxi will probably be cheaper and more convenient. Burger King is across the street, and there are several restaurants about two blocks east of the hotel, including shopping like Publix, Ross, TJ Maxx, Starbucks, etc. We will stay there again if we cruise from Fort Lauderdale again. We were at the port 5 minutes after check out!

I have stayed in the Hilton FL Marina several times pre and post cruise and can highly recommend it.

If you get a water view, request a view of the port, it is really great to be able to see any ships coming and going.

Funny, I stayed there last year (May 2014) and swore never again. I felt that as a solo traveller I was treated quite poorly. I had paid about $40 or $50 extra for a water view with balcony, and ended facing the "undercarriage" of a motorway. When I pointed this out, I was told "a couple had requested an upgrade". It may not have been the intention, but the impression I got was "f*** her, she's on her own".

I not only didn't get the $40 back, they also charged me an additional $25 or something for a cooked breakfast. It wasn't so much the money, but the general attitude towards me from staff that I didn't like. There was one single gentleman amongst the staff who went out of his way to give me a hand with my suitcase as I was leaving, and did so with a smile, and helping with suitcases was not part of his job description.

The room itself was barely adequate. The hotel did seem to be very busy that night, and it's possible that I was put in a room that wasn't used very often or something.

We did Hilton Beach Resort in March and loved it. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance and places to stock up on whatever you might want to carry onboard or forgot to pack.

Three years we did the Double Tree Gallery One and liked it also. The water taxi docks right at the hotel so it's fun to hop on and take a ride.

I did just check November 7th and looks like a lot of Hilton properties are sold out.