Gem -Formal Nights/Elegant nights

CROWNCRUISER

Darling wife is starting her packing list for our October 31, 2017 cruise and she is asking me if there are elegant/formal nights on the Gem. I have looked at the boards, performed a search and I also searched NCL site and did not find a direct answer. Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Darling wife is starting her packing list for our October 31, 2017 cruise and she is asking me if there are elegant/formal nights on the Gem. I have looked at the boards, performed a search and I also searched NCL site and did not find a direct answer. Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Unless you wish to have formal photos taken, there is no need to dress up. Casual dress is fine for the entire sailing. Some passenger do dress up and you might even see a tux or 2 and some long dresses. In short, wear what your wife tells you to wear and you will definitely have a happy sailing:D:):D

MARAPRINCE

How does the dress code differ on that night vs any other night of the cruise?

There is no dress code on NCL. From my experience, you'd be hard pressed to tell it was 'that night" from what most folks are wearing. Which imho is great.

Those who want to bring dressy clothes on NCL should feel free to do so, but there's zero need.

My understanding is that there really is no difference other than the presence of photographers taking formal pictures for those who dress for formal pictures and request formal pictures.
So are you saying there are no opportunities for formal photos on any other night?

First sea day is Norwegian Night Out (at least that's what I remember it being called) Dress up or not. Many people get dressed, many people do not. We have always enjoyed getting a little dressy. Husband in button down, me in dress

Safe sailing

On other nights, I've never seen anyone in formal/cocktail attire.

Hmmmm...

Not sure if that means that

A) Nobody ever dresses formally on other nights

B) People do dress formally on other nights and you just haven't personally witnessed it

C) Absolutely nothing as far as the dress code goes because not only is there no formal night ever, but a cruiser can dress formally or informally as they so choose on each and every single night of the cruise on each and every single NCL ship.

NCL eliminated the formal night requirement in 2001. It is now 2017. When will we get to the point where, when people ask about formal night, we simply say "no...there is none"?

So are you saying there are no opportunities for formal photos on any other night?

Phogeaphera are out on nights 2-6 with backdrops for formal pictures.

Lots of opportunities. The best advices is to take as many photos as possible every night. Then see which ones you like the best.

Phogeaphera are out on nights 2-6 with backdrops for formal pictures.

Lots of opportunities. The best advices is to take as many photos as possible every night. Then see which ones you like the best.

Oh...so you are saying that the statement I was responding to was incorrect?

when people ask about formal night, we simply say "no...there is none"?

Well, I'm not you and I like to let folks know that there is a dress up or not night incase they would like to bring something more dressy to have a picture taken. BTW, if you took the time to read my response to the OP, I said: There are no formal nights. One night, when they do pictures, there is a dress up or not night.

Well, I'm not you and I like to let folks know that there is a dress up or not night incase they would like to bring something more dressy to have a picture taken. BTW, if you took the time to read my response to the OP, I said: There are no formal nights. One night, when they do pictures, there is a dress up or not night.

But it isn't "one night" is it? Even BirdTravels said it is 2-6 nights. It shouldn't be this difficult to give one simple straight answer.

EVERY night is a dress up or not night...the presence or absence of photographers does nothing to change that.

My DW is a nifty, thrifty and crafty sew and sew. So, upon my retirement years ago, she took the collars off my dress shirts. Now I have only shirts with banded collars. Even if I wanted to get fancy on our cruises and wear a tie, I couldn't. Therefore a nice shirt, a light sweater and a pair of Dockers will do nicely, dress-up night or not. What happened to most of my beautiful ties, you may ask? They have been taken apart and repurposed as Ascots. Look great on DW.

Oh, almost forgot, when is formal night? I dunno.

It is your choice to dress up or not. If you want to celebrate an event during sailing you may opt to dress up and have photos taken. Photographers are taking photos almost the entire cruise with the backdrops changing nightly. If you want a more formal shot, ask the photographers about what the backdrops will be during your sailing and you can plan to dress up that night.

You will find many passengers who wear shorts every night of the sailing along with others who will opt to go less casually. Your choice.

MARAPRINCE

I keep seeing answers regarding formal photos. Just to clarify, you don't need to be dressed up to take a picture. If you get in line with everyone else, you can take pictures in whatever you are wearing. Also, sometimes I dress up every night, sometimes I don't dress up at all. And people's definitions of "dress up" vary greatly! :D

I keep seeing answers regarding formal photos. Just to clarify, you don't need to be dressed up to take a picture. If you get in line with everyone else, you can take pictures in whatever you are wearing. Also, sometimes I dress up every night, sometimes I don't dress up at all. And people's definitions of "dress up" vary greatly! :D

Exactly! People are constantly getting photos taken by the photographers. Sometimes they are dressed up. More often, they are not. On very rare occasions I might see someone in formal wear.

Some of the photo backdrops are quite casual -- beach scene where you can sit on the floor and become part of the scene or even a small boat dock. Formal wear would look out of place with this type of background.

Again, ask the photographers what backgrounds they will be using each night.

MARAPRINCE

I just don't understand the need for some to respond if they are going to be so nasty. The whole point of a message board is to ask questions and get real life feedback. There is no need to critic someone else's answer unless it is blatantly wrong.

To answer the original question the Dress Up or Not night is a tad different than other nights. While you can get photos most nights the backdrops are different. In addition, on this night there are photos with the Captain for 45 minutes or so. If you are in a Suite this is also the night of the Captain Cocktail party so it all ties in pretty nicely to only have to get "starchy" one night if you choose.

To answer the original question the Dress Up or Not night is a tad different than other nights. While you can get photos most nights the backdrops are different. In addition, on this night there are photos with the Captain for 45 minutes or so. If you are in a Suite this is also the night of the Captain Cocktail party so it all ties in pretty nicely to only have to get "starchy" one night if you choose.

For what it's worth, not all ships even have a Dress Up or Not night. Some have replaced it with a Norwegian's Night Out. If you didn't read it here, you might have no idea that it's supposed to be dress up or not.