Where to park for NYC Cruise on Gem

I am getting ready for our upcoming trip on the Gem and just found out that it is going to cost us $400 to park at the pier. This is certainly better then flying from Boston to Miami, but still it is a lot just to park. Is there any lower priced parking garages within a short taxi ride or even something like a park and fly near JFK or Hartford with a shuttle to the pier? I know there is something in Providence, but that is so far away, I would rather just drive to NYC and pay the money.

I read a recommendation on these boards for Park Jockey dot com. So with no personal knowledge I booked through them. It SEEMS to be based on supply and demand as I had looked at one point and the price for 7 days was $156. We had an issue and wasn't sure that we would be able to cruise so I didn't book the parking. The day our cruise was a definite I checked and it was $175. I was disgusted about the price change so didn't book it. The next time I looked it was $192. I booked it.

As I said it's for a 7 day cruise so it would have been $280. I guess a savings of 30% is pretty good but I would have been happier if it was a savings of 44%.

I believe there is some info on the New York board in the ports section of Cruise critic.

we parked at the port 2years ago. The cost was $245 for a 7 day cruise. I don't think you will find prices much lower elsewhere, plus the traffic, pick up times, and hassle might not be worth it. The perk for us is that we walked off the ship, went thru customs and were on our way home 10 minutes later. Good luck with you decision

We park right at the cruise terminal....$35 per day....you pull up, they unload and take your luggage and away you go...easy breezy....and when we get back, in our car and on the road without any hassle....

edit: I just checked the Manhattan cruise terminal parking site....its gone up to $40 day?? But you can get a coupon for 20% off 9 day cruises??

Edited by AnitaVacation

I am getting ready for our upcoming trip on the Gem and just found out that it is going to cost us $400 to park at the pier. This is certainly better then flying from Boston to Miami, but still it is a lot just to park. Is there any lower priced parking garages within a short taxi ride or even something like a park and fly near JFK or Hartford with a shuttle to the pier? I know there is something in Providence, but that is so far away, I would rather just drive to NYC and pay the money.

We were on a cruise on the gem (Oct 27 to Nov 7)

We arrived at Candlewood suite (279 Secaucus road ) Saturday night the building is fairly new and well kept . On Monday morning we called Secaucus taxi to arrange for a taxi to go to Port Imperial. The driver arrived at 9:30 am as agreed 10 minutes drive to Port Imperial. Purchased return ticket for the ferry, waited 5 minutes and we crossed the Hudson in less than 5 minutes.

We went to 39th St and Lincoln tunnel. It's a 5 minutes walk to the ship. The weather was great so we walked to the ship. We arrived around 10:15 am.

Here's a breakdown of the cost to park the car at the Hotel during our cruise

Hotel for 1 night = $155.00 tax in

parking for 2 weeks (October 27 to Nov 7 ) = $0.00

Taxi from 279 Secaucus rd to port imperial = $30.00

cost of ferry 2 persons @ $9.00 = $18.00

return from cruise Nov 7

Cost of ferry 2 persons @ $9.00 ea - $18.00

taxi service from port Imperial to hotel =$25.00

total = $246.00

Now lets compare with leaving the car at the pier 88

1 night at Hotel (assuming you stay one night before cruise) =155.00

toll road for tunnel =$13.00

parking for 11 days (flat fee ) =$400.00

total $568.00

there is a difference of 322.00

That's a saving of $322.00

here's the website for Candlewood suites

https://www.candlewoodsuites.com/hotels/us/en/

[click on hotel package

CRUISING WITH EASE

CRUISING WITH EASE PACKAGE INCLUDES FREE PARKING FOR 1 VEHICLE FOR UP TO 10 NIGHTS BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR STAY.

The ship was a sellout 2400 passenger I noticed the parking at the pier was half full when we came back from the cruise.

Family trip or couples trip??

Thinking outside the box: Train to Penn station then a cab to ship.??

For 2-I'm actually thinking of this for myself. If it was a family trip, nope.;)

We park right at the cruise terminal....$35 per day....you pull up, they unload and take your luggage and away you go...easy breezy....and when we get back, in our car and on the road without any hassle....

edit: I just checked the Manhattan cruise terminal parking site....its gone up to $40 day?? But you can get a coupon for 20% off 9 day cruises??

Where do you get the 20% off coupon for 9 night trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Check the cruise terminal parking site for coupons.

We got $80.00 off last month.

I'm not happy about the $40 a day for parking in NYC, but it makes the process so much easier that I'll pay it.

The current coupon expires in April. Anyone know if they'll extend this for the summer months? We cruise in June.

The coupons available on that site change throughout the year, so keep checking.

My wife and I are in Philadelphia, and we usually take Amtrak when we cruise out of NYC, but this year, we're probably going to drive, because my sister-in-law and her husband are coming with us. For 4 people, it's going to be more cost effective and easy to just drive.

For 2 people, I would definitely recommend Amtrak, if you live on the Northeast Corridor.

http://www.parkwhiz.com/manhattan-cruise-terminal-parking/

This shows a number of indoor parking garages just a short walk from the pier. For $175 (versus $280 at the pier), trundling our gear 1/3 of a mile seems like a pretty good deal. We'll be walking a lot more than that when we get off the ship in Nassau or wherever.

You can put in your desired times and the map shows you what the rate would be for each parking location. You can reserve ahead of time. In fact you may want to, in order to get these rates; I don't know if you can get the same rates by just showing up unannounced.

My wife and I are in Philadelphia, and we usually take Amtrak when we cruise out of NYC, but this year, we're probably going to drive, because my sister-in-law and her husband are coming with us. For 4 people, it's going to be more cost effective and easy to just drive.

For 2 people, I would definitely recommend Amtrak, if you live on the Northeast Corridor.

We take Amtrak from RI. Much cheaper than driving and parking at the port. Wouldn't think of doing it any other way.

I'm so glad you guys posted this.

I am close enough for car service but think its cheaper and much more convenient to take the train to Penn-walk up get a cab and voila. Then coming home, same thing, don't have to worry about calling the car service [who is either circling the area or parked somewhere] as who knows when I'll be off the ship. No stress.

I'm so glad you guys posted this.

I am close enough for car service but think its cheaper and much more convenient to take the train to Penn-walk up get a cab and voila. Then coming home, same thing, don't have to worry about calling the car service [who is either circling the area or parked somewhere] as who knows when I'll be off the ship. No stress.

The train is absolutely the best way to get to New York. No traffic, and it's much easier than driving—1 hour 25 minutes from downtown Philly to downtown NYC. A quick cab ride to the pier, and you're done! We'll still consider taking it if Amtrak has a sale, and the train winds up being cheaper—but at the moment, for four people x 80 roundtrip, it's going to wind up being more expensive than parking at the pier.

We were on a cruise on the gem (Oct 27 to Nov 7)

We arrived at Candlewood suite (279 Secaucus road ) Saturday night the building is fairly new and well kept . On Monday morning we called Secaucus taxi to arrange for a taxi to go to Port Imperial. The driver arrived at 9:30 am as agreed 10 minutes drive to Port Imperial. Purchased return ticket for the ferry, waited 5 minutes and we crossed the Hudson in less than 5 minutes.

We went to 39th St and Lincoln tunnel. It's a 5 minutes walk to the ship. The weather was great so we walked to the ship. We arrived around 10:15 am.

Here's a breakdown of the cost to park the car at the Hotel during our cruise

Hotel for 1 night = $155.00 tax in

parking for 2 weeks (October 27 to Nov 7 ) = $0.00

Taxi from 279 Secaucus rd to port imperial = $30.00

cost of ferry 2 persons @ $9.00 = $18.00

return from cruise Nov 7

Cost of ferry 2 persons @ $9.00 ea - $18.00

taxi service from port Imperial to hotel =$25.00

total = $246.00

Now lets compare with leaving the car at the pier 88

1 night at Hotel (assuming you stay one night before cruise) =155.00

toll road for tunnel =$13.00

parking for 11 days (flat fee ) =$400.00

total $568.00

there is a difference of 322.00

That's a saving of $322.00

here's the website for Candlewood suites

https://www.candlewoodsuites.com/hotels/us/en/

[click on hotel package

CRUISING WITH EASE

CRUISING WITH EASE PACKAGE INCLUDES FREE PARKING FOR 1 VEHICLE FOR UP TO 10 NIGHTS BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR STAY.

The ship was a sellout 2400 passenger I noticed the parking at the pier was half full when we came back from the cruise.

I'm exhausted reading what you went thru to get to the port and back, not to mention the outrageous expense. Just my opinion

Last month, I almost had to get to Philadelphia from NYC, and easily found Megabus rates at $10 round trip. I'm a walker, so don't mind even a mile with my light packed rolling bag. But cab fares wouldn't be significant.

I use Megabus, and Greyhound with no complaints. Also Metro North is another great option, with trains running frequently. I then take the 42 bus, from Grand Central, to Circle line and walk to the ship.