What to do in Grand Turk??

sophiecat

Grand Turk is known as a dive location which also means it is a good snorkeling spot. There is not much snorkeling off the shore. We took a snorkel boat trip which had 2 stops. One was a good shallow water location and the other was to "the wall." This is a spot where the water goes from 20 feet to 7000 feet instantly. It is a eerie feeling to first swim out over the deep water. It is not but 5 minutes away from the dock too. I always go there for that.

We have never been to Grand Turk. Need suggestions for good water excursions. I know some are better than others. Thanks

Well as soon as you get off the ship and walk down the pier, you are on the beach. And you also have some shopping and Margaritaville right there too. Unless you just want to do something over the top, you don't need to make any special plans. Lots of people just step right down the beach to Jack's Shack or hang out at the free swimming pool at Margaritaville (which has a swim-up bar). They often have free music around that pool. There's a fun gift shop there too or a Ron Jon's Surf Shop. The beach chairs on the beach are free too.

http://www.grandturkcc.com/island-information/cruise-center-map.aspx

I love Grand Turk. Everything is right there by the ship.

We were in grand turk in 2010 and i think they have a lot of things about space there. In the early days of mercury and gemini they landed in the water off grand turk. If i am wrong someone please say so . It has been four years and i could be wrong.

We were in grand turk in 2010 and i think they have a lot of things about space there. In the early days of mercury and gemini they landed in the water off grand turk. If i am wrong someone please say so . It has been four years and i could be wrong.

I wouldn't say its a lot but there is an area commemorating the splash down of John Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMHO, Grand Turk is almost like a private island stop for Carnival. There is a nice beach off the ship, and you're not in that port for very long.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice port. But my DW and I have been there so many times, we didn't even bother to get off the ship last week on the Liberty. We treated it lime another sea day and enjoyed the peace of the ship while everyone else went off.

IMHO, Grand Turk is almost like a private island stop for Carnival. There is a nice beach off the ship, and you're not in that port for very long.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice port. But my DW and I have been there so many times, we didn't even bother to get off the ship last week on the Liberty. We treated it lime another sea day and enjoyed the peace of the ship while everyone else went off.

Hear you on that! Did the same one port stop there when it was a bit rainy.

LuLu

IMHO the most relaxing few hours can be spent by taking a 10 minute walk (left off the ship) to Jack's Shack. Jack's dog, Topher, will put on a show by constantly digging in the sand and swimming with the folks. The view is awesome and they have the best jerk chicken. It's $12 and worth every penny.

You can go to Margaritavilles all over the place, but there's only one Jack's Shack. I say that as a Parrothead.

Edited by Fla Senior

In April when in GT on Splendor I took the trolley tour, think it was $29. Cute trolley, went to town by the shore road and returned on an interior one. Lots of West Indian houses and small buildings and churches. Not too much to see but interesting enough, quaint. We stopped at two places, a shopping area and the town garden. Just wanted to see what was there. I stayed at beach after returning.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

IMHO the most relaxing few hours can be spent by taking a 10 minute walk (left off the ship) to Jack's Shack. Jack's dog, Topher, will put on a show by constantly digging in the sand and swimming with the folks. The view is awesome and they have the best jerk chicken. It's $12 and worth every penny.

You can go to Margaritavilles all over the place, but there's only one Jack's Shack. I say that as a Parrothead.

I was in Grand Turk last year and visited Jack's Shack. I am going back again to swim in the beautiful water and eat jerk chicken. But I REALLY look forward to seeing Topher again! There is something wonderful about that doggie. Gonna bring him some treats when I go:)

we rented a golf cart for the day toured the island, went to the conch farm, which was interesting , saw the sites and went to Jack's and Janet's shack, enjoyed our visit with them. Love grand turks hoping to go back there some day

Edited by seeing this world

Have to agree with everyone else, we have been there at least 4 times and I have never gotten further than the cruise port. Between Margaritaville, the shopping & the beach there really isn't any need to go further. We going to be there in Jan. and I rented a cabana at Margaritaville, you really don't need it but its a nice place to store your stuff, get quick service on food & drink and works as a meeting place.

We have never been to Grand Turk. Need suggestions for good water excursions. I know some are better than others. Thanks

Well, this isn't a water excursion but you can't miss Jack's Shack free shot of rum. Also, you can't miss the jerk chicken and cracked conch. And if you want a conch shell, go up the beach to the right all the way to the tip where the beach turns left, past where everyone is looking for the shells, to get a pretty one that's not bleached white. See photos.

https://breezecruise3282014.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#9

https://breezecruise3282014.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#10

https://breezecruise3282014.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#11

Edited by MamallamaAndDaddy

we rented a golf cart for the day toured the island, went to the conch farm, which was interesting , saw the sites and went to Jack's and Janet's shack, enjoyed our visit with them. Love grand turks hoping to go back there some day

How long ago were you there? Did you rent the cart from Nathan? We would like to rent a golf cart and tool around, but I've been reading not-so-great things about Nathan's. We'll be there in November and I'd like to hear the details to see if it's something I want to pursue.

Thanks!

Where can you rent a golf cart? That sounds really nice. Do you remember about how much it costs? Thanks in advance.