Is the Splendor Cursed?

deborahjo

We're sailing on her in January, and I don't worry about those kinds of things. They say things happens in three's. Have 3 things happened to her yet while in Long Beach or on the Mexican Riviera? I know of two things. :confused:

are you also counting the fiasco with the Brazilian visa? I recall somewhere on the boards that 150 pax were not aware that they needed visas for Brazil....even if they weren't getting off in Rio.

I also recall that the pax booked thru a variety of sources...including Carnival PVP's. Just sayin'

Great ship but has anyone else noticed all the problems she is having since she moved to Long Beach? Has there been a cruise that something has not happened?

There is no such thing as a curse! Bad things happen and good things happen to everything and everyone. To try and assign some unseen power to it is just foolish. My cruise on the Splendor was uneventful in spite of Hurrican Rick. We had the best time with our CC group we met up with. I would say it is a wondeful ship that has had a few mishaps.

I have no clue of the Splendor is cursed or not, but as for the "pay" facilities in the spa, I didn't pay for them it came with my spa suite I booked! I did love the thalasso pool and thermal suite!!!

Curse--well, lets just say that was the first cruise I have been on where there has been a medical emergency after we left port and the passenger needed to be evacuated. Thankfully, we had only left Mazatlan around 20-30 minutes before and hadn't cleared the channel yet. Around 60-90 minutes later we were back underway for Cabo......

There is no such thing as a curse! Bad things happen and good things happen to everything and everyone. To try and assign some unseen power to it is just foolish. My cruise on the Splendor was uneventful in spite of Hurrican Rick. We had the best time with our CC group we met up with. I would say it is a wondeful ship that has had a few mishaps.

I am not saying she is not a beautiful. She is one of the most beautiful ships I have been on. Just strange that things KEEP happening to her.

More than half of my cruises have had medical emergencies, actually 3 out of 4 of my most recent cruises had medical emergencies, The NCL Majesty heart attack, spent 2 days in Cozumel instead of going to Grand Cayman, Carnival Glory, no emergency, Carnival Legend unknown illness had to be airlifted at sea near Key West, Carnival Splendor had to make a short unplanned stop in Cabo to evacuate a passenger.

My earlier cruises also had many evacuations, I just see it as part of the experience now.

Other than the short stop in Cabo (didn't affect itinerary) the Splendor was fantastic, no real complaints.

More than half of my cruises have had medical emergencies, actually 3 out of 4 of my most recent cruises had medical emergencies, The NCL Majesty heart attack, spent 2 days in Cozumel instead of going to Grand Cayman, Carnival Glory, no emergency, Carnival Legend unknown illness had to be airlifted at sea near Key West, Carnival Splendor had to make a short unplanned stop in Cabo to evacuate a passenger.

My earlier cruises also had many evacuations, I just see it as part of the experience now.

Sheesh, maybe they should start doing medical check ups on people before boarding. Or, you must have a note from your doctor saying you won't have a heart attack while cruising. That or impose a maximum age of 60.

While I hadn't thought "cursed" I did wonder last night...when we were on her in late September we had an airlift medical emergency. I'd have to say that's "all" but it was a first in my 9 cruises. I've been on a cruise where we had an elderly person die, but we didn't require an airlift for goodness sake.

Cursed? Dunno.

I did wonder though...................

We were on her Halloween Week and had a blast with our CCer's actually best cruise yet... Yes they had a medical evacuation but it was cause a young girl had tried a few drinks and fell down the stairs and broke her hip but we were back on track within an hour....

We were on the Splendor in May on the Canadian (replacement H1N1) runs and everything was fabulous. Wish they would consider it as an optional run.

Anyway, we were on her again Nov 8-15th. Good boarding, but a fork lift hit the side of a water tight door and they had to bring in welders and grinders to fix it and we didn't leave until 11:30 pm - (6 hours late) Then on the first sea day, we had a medical evacuation and had to turn around to meet the Coast Guard chopper. Lost 3 more hours. But amazingly, we were only an hour late into PV. On the "Behind the Fun" tour, the Captain explained that the evac cost Carnival $100,000. Dang! That's a lot of DOD's!

I don't think she's cursed. I think stuff just happens and we get to experience it along with everyone else. Sure makes for more interesting stories than the ones about chair hogs!

Oh good grief...sh*t happens, everywhere every day. Why should a cruise ship be any different, especially one carrying 3,000+ people?!?

We're on the Splendor December 13th; maybe I should consider rebooking to a less un-lucky date?!? ;)

We were on the Splendor in May on the Canadian (replacement H1N1) runs and everything was fabulous. Wish they would consider it as an optional run. quote]

Except for the fact that we were on a PNW itin nothing of any interest happened on our cruise in June. (Well, we were followed by a helicopter taking pix of us and we were buzzed by a Coast Guard helicopter off of Astoria.)

We enjoyed the ports so much that we booked the HAL Zaandam 6day in April. Price is comparable also.

I have heard rumors from my TA that RCCL might be considering an occasional PNW run.

Well, lets see. Besides all of the reported things, i.e.: the port changes due to weather and the H1N1 in May/June, and recently bumping into a ship in port in Puerto Vallarta, and the captain getting sick. Here is one that hardly ever gets mentioned - in May we had to wait for 3 hour to disembark in Long Beach because part of the gang way was broken. Cursed?!? I've been thinking this for a while now. :rolleyes:

Are you referring to the ship's captain having a heart attack over the weekend, and the ship not making it back to homeport till 4pm, and the ship didn't leave until 10pm at night ?

Great ship but has anyone else noticed all the problems she is having since she moved to Long Beach? Has there been a cruise that something has not happened?

I'm not blaming it on the ship. Just saying it sounds eventful.

It wasn't too eventful, a slight itinerary change and about a half a day of pretty rough water, otherwise it was completely normal. We too had an evacuation, but they were able to move the person off the ship as soon as we hit Cabo, via a special tender.

Mrs. Wolfie

Archived