One way to Barcellona

grovesteve

October 2011 my wife and I are talking a repositioning cruise from barcellona Spain to Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. The air fare I have found is more then the cruise. Any suggestions. We are leaving from the Chicago area, could leave from Milwaukee We.

thanks

October 2011 my wife and I are talking a repositioning cruise from barcellona Spain to Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. The air fare I have found is more then the cruise. Any suggestions. We are leaving from the Chicago area, could leave from Milwaukee We.

thanks

One-way

October 24 (Monday) ORD-BCN Arrive October 25 (tuesday)

LOT (Polish Airline) 1 stop $628. Taxes included

Aer Lingus 1 stop $690. Taxes included

American Air 1 stop $810. Taxes included

There are some seriously cheaper flights out of NYC airports (JFK, EWR) for that time period, if that is any help.

thanks

$460ish on SAS via either ARN/Stockholm or CPH/Copenhagen try a search on Kayak.

What cruise line are you on? Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have "Choice Air". They often come up with some pretty good prices.

R&D

This is correct. I called them just to see what they could do for my 2 transatlantics with the air 6 months apart. Their one way including their fee was actually not bad. I found roundtrip on my own.

Someone else posted a suggestion for one way and that's to google oneway air. Seems there is a web site that specializes in one way air.

• 4 months later...

thanks

We got ours for the Liberty OTS transatlantic from cheapoair flying from Denver to Barcelona for $518 leaving Oct 26th. They are offering pretty good fares from ORD for less right now. Our flight is with British Air via London. As soon as we got confirmation, I got on the BA site and upgraded our seats. I don't know what would, or could, be better from Milwaukee but who knows? See you there. :) Come and join our roll call.

Larry

You can get a better price by buying a RT and not using the return flight. Be aware that when using places like cheapoair, etc. that you are commited to fly on the airline they have booked. If your flight is canselled for any reason they will not make arrangements for you to catch a ride aon another airline which will leave you purchassing an on the spot one way from someone for a lot of $$'s.

Be aware that when using places like cheapoair, etc. that you are commited to fly on the airline they have booked. If your flight is canselled for any reason they will not make arrangements for you to catch a ride aon another airline which will leave you purchassing an on the spot one way from someone for a lot of $$'s.

This is not necessarily true; you would have to read the fare rules for the ticket purchased.

You can get a better price by buying a RT and not using the return flight. Be aware that when using places like cheapoair, etc. that you are commited to fly on the airline they have booked. If your flight is canselled for any reason they will not make arrangements for you to catch a ride aon another airline which will leave you purchassing an on the spot one way from someone for a lot of $$'s.

It's not just these companies who do this to you. We had a flight cancelled when we booked directly with American and they not only left us hanging with no flight but we had to pay three times the value of the ticket to get where we needed to go. Northwest (now Delta) was astounded that American wouldn't work with us to transfer the tickets. Plus it took forever to get a refund from American. They treated us like we were trying to scam them when they cancelled the flight.

The upcoming flight we booked with cheapo is a daily flight and I am not the least bit concerned about a cancellation.

On the other hand, I have also heard that airlines will sometimes recognize an unused RT and convert it to a more expensive one way fare and they have no problem charging it to the card you used to make the original purchase.

Buyer Beware

PS: 6Rugrats hit the nail on the head.

This is not necessarily true; you would have to read the fare rules for the ticket purchased.

I believe you were the poster who suggested I buy a RT at a low price from the airline itself and not a consolidator. and pay the change fare for changging the return flight. You never answered how one does that.

Also how will you know the fare rules for the ticket you bought before you buy it?

Also how will you know the fare rules for the ticket you bought before you buy it?

I think I can answer that. I normally use travelocity but used cheapo this time. Each site has an area that gives specific information on their rules for purchases, refunds, changes, etc. I agree, one should read these and be comfortable before completing a purchase. I think the horror stories come when assumptions are made and not clear to the user. Not that the companies are faultless but knowing the rules does make it easier.

Hope that helps.

I think I can answer that. I normally use travelocity but used cheapo this time. Each site has an area that gives specific information on their rules for purchases, refunds, changes, etc. I agree, one should read these and be comfortable before completing a purchase. I think the horror stories come when assumptions are made and not clear to the user. Not that the companies are faultless but knowing the rules does make it easier.

Hope that helps.

Perhaps you can help me then. We are taking the Ruby Princess TA from Venice to Fll on Oct19. We want to fly into Florence on Oct 13. I can get a one way from several different consolidators for just under $900.

I can get a round trip from Delta direct for $1100 , this price is showing through Jan 2012. And I could not use the return

or

We could take the same RT from FLL to Venice in April 2012 and use the return ticket. I cannot even get a price on a May return because it is over 331 days out. When I start going past Jan 2012 for the same RT the price goes up to $3000 by April.

If I buy the $1100 ticket and change the return flight to May 2012 do I pay the $250 change fee plus the new current price? Also, what can they do If I do not use the return ticket?

Perhaps you can help me then. We are taking the Ruby Princess TA from Venice to Fll on Oct19. We want to fly into Florence on Oct 13. I can get a one way from several different consolidators for just under $900.

I can get a round trip from Delta direct for $1100 , this price is showing through Jan 2012. And I could not use the return

or

We could take the same RT from FLL to Venice in April 2012 and use the return ticket. I cannot even get a price on a May return because it is over 331 days out. When I start going past Jan 2012 for the same RT the price goes up to $3000 by April.

If I buy the $1100 ticket and change the return flight to May 2012 do I pay the $250 change fee plus the new current price? Also, what can they do If I do not use the return ticket?

Someone on our sailing is cruising transatlantic both ways within a year. They bought their round trip tickets to coincide with each cruise, coming and going. It sounds like you may want to wait until both times are available to get the best rate. The rates tend to fluctuate considerably this far out. I watched our flight costs go from under $500 to over $1,000 (I panicked then) and then back down again. I also tend to book midweek when the fares are adjusted.

Someone on our sailing is cruising transatlantic both ways within a year. They bought their round trip tickets to coincide with each cruise, coming and going. It sounds like you may want to wait until both times are available to get the best rate. The rates tend to fluctuate considerably this far out. I watched our flight costs go from under $500 to over $1,000 (I panicked then) and then back down again. I also tend to book midweek when the fares are adjusted.

The problem is I cannot even get the schedule to show a price past April 20 at this time. And the April roundtrip return is showing $3400 right now. If I wait too long I will either miss out on the Oct fllight or be too late and get an inflated price. How did your friends book theirs already?

The problem is I cannot even get the schedule to show a price past April 20 at this time. And the April roundtrip return is showing $3400 right now. If I wait too long I will either miss out on the Oct fllight or be too late and get an inflated price. How did your friends book theirs already?

I am not certain which ailine they are with. Airlines operate differently, though. Southwest just opened their dates past Nov 3rd 2011 yesterday, which I think is odd. I can now book my return flight with them from FLL. As I said, fares fluctuate considerably this far out. I hope you have good luck.

The problem is I cannot even get the schedule to show a price past April 20 at this time.
Different airlines work differently.

BA, for example, is today taking bookings up to and including 14 May 2012.

When I start going past Jan 2012 for the same RT the price goes up to $3000 by April.
This is probably because the fare rules for the lower fare you were looking at has a maximum stay restriction. From what you say, it sounds like it's three months.

But fare rules, again, vary from airline to airline.

If I buy the $1100 ticket and change the return flight to May 2012 do I pay the $250 change fee plus the new current price?
Again, this depends on the fare rules. They can be very complex, and the applicable rule may depend on exactly when you change the return date, eg whether you make the before you travel the outbound sector or after.
Also, what can they do If I do not use the return ticket?
What they can do is to bill you for the difference between the cost of the cheap round-trip ticket that you've bought, and the cost of the expensive one-way fare that you should have bought for the travel that you always intended to do.

What they are likely to do - indeed, overwhelmingly likely to do - is absolutely nothing, if you are not a serial offender. But don't go tickling the tail of the dragon by phoning to cancel the return flight, or asking for a refund of the unused taxes, or claiming frequent flyer miles for the flight you didn't take.

Different airlines work differently.

BA, for example, is today taking bookings up to and including 14 May 2012.This is probably because the fare rules for the lower fare you were looking at has a maximum stay restriction. From what you say, it sounds like it's three months.

But fare rules, again, vary from airline to airline.Again, this depends on the fare rules. They can be very complex, and the applicable rule may depend on exactly when you change the return date, eg whether you make the before you travel the outbound sector or after.What they can do is to bill you for the difference between the cost of the cheap round-trip ticket that you've bought, and the cost of the expensive one-way fare that you should have bought for the travel that you always intended to do.

What they are likely to do - indeed, overwhelmingly likely to do - is absolutely nothing, if you are not a serial offender. But don't go tickling the tail of the dragon by phoning to cancel the return flight, or asking for a refund of the unused taxes, or claiming frequent flyer miles for the flight you didn't take.

Although I am still in a quandary as to what to do - you have given me the best answer yet. Another query, We want to fly out to Florence Oct 13 - how long do you think I can put off booking? I try to look at available seats on the Delta site to get an idea of when they might raise the price. I can get a one way thru cheapoair and others for about $900 as opposed to a RT directly bthrough Delta for $1100 right now.

What if I book with the most far out date at the $1100 price and call to change it to May 2012? What will it cost? The change fee or some ficticious number?

What if I book with the most far out date at the $1100 price and call to change it to May 2012? What will it cost? The change fee or some ficticious number?

In general, and that is very unspecific, you pay the change fee along with any fare differential. If it goes down, you get credit towards the change fee. Up and you are adding to the fee.

Again, IN GENERAL. YMMV.

Although I am still in a quandary as to what to do - you have given me the best answer yet. Another query, We want to fly out to Florence Oct 13 - how long do you think I can put off booking? I try to look at available seats on the Delta site to get an idea of when they might raise the price. I can get a one way thru cheapoair and others for about $900 as opposed to a RT directly bthrough Delta for $1100 right now.

Two things -

First, round trips where the return is longer than six months are usually priced much higher than trips where the return is closer to the outbound date. I wouldn't be surprised if the price goes up by a big factor - plus the change fee - if you extend the trip to 6 months or more.

Check it out now (but don't pull the trigger.) Go to the airline website or some online agency like Expedia and put in dates with, say, an October departure and a November return. What's the price? Then put in dates for an August departure and a February return, and see what the difference looks like. The numbers probably won't be the same as you'd encounter with your particular plan, but the scale of the difference is likely to be similar. (Hope that's clear.)

My second point, however, is one I've recommended on other (similar) threads. October is a relatively low demand season for transatlantic travel, and consequently some airlines have a fairly good inventory of mileage redemption ("award") seats.

For example, on October 13, American Airlines has numerous award seats available from Miami to London; on October 12, they have a lot of seats open on their nonstop Miami - Madrid flight. Connecting from London or Madrid to Florence (or Pisa, which is a bigger nearby airport with more flights) won't be a problem on British Airways or Iberia, AA's partners.

Right now AA has a sale on miles that you purchase for your frequent flyer account. A one-way trip from the US to Europe, including any connecting flights needed on either/both sides of the Atlantic (e.g. FLL-Chicago-London-Florence) leaving before October 15 requires 30,000 miles (20,000 after 10/15.) Right now buying 30,000 miles from AA would cost $600. If you flew out after 10/15, it would be $400.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/purchasingMiles/main.jsp?from=Nav

So you buy the miles, then turn around and spend them on a ticket, badda bing. No consolidators, no throw-away ticketing, no sweating return dates or change penalties.

Just sayin'.

Two things -

First, round trips where the return is longer than six months are usually priced much higher than trips where the return is closer to the outbound date. I wouldn't be surprised if the price goes up by a big factor - plus the change fee - if you extend the trip to 6 months or more.

Check it out now (but don't pull the trigger.) Go to the airline website or some online agency like Expedia and put in dates with, say, an October departure and a November return. What's the price? Then put in dates for an August departure and a February return, and see what the difference looks like. The numbers probably won't be the same as you'd encounter with your particular plan, but the scale of the difference is likely to be similar. (Hope that's clear.)

My second point, however, is one I've recommended on other (similar) threads. October is a relatively low demand season for transatlantic travel, and consequently some airlines have a fairly good inventory of mileage redemption ("award") seats.

For example, on October 13, American Airlines has numerous award seats available from Miami to London; on October 12, they have a lot of seats open on their nonstop Miami - Madrid flight. Connecting from London or Madrid to Florence (or Pisa, which is a bigger nearby airport with more flights) won't be a problem on British Airways or Iberia, AA's partners.

Right now AA has a sale on miles that you purchase for your frequent flyer account. A one-way trip from the US to Europe, including any connecting flights needed on either/both sides of the Atlantic (e.g. FLL-Chicago-London-Florence) leaving before October 15 requires 30,000 miles (20,000 after 10/15.) Right now buying 30,000 miles from AA would cost $600. If you flew out after 10/15, it would be $400.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/purchasingMiles/main.jsp?from=Nav

So you buy the miles, then turn around and spend them on a ticket, badda bing. No consolidators, no throw-away ticketing, no sweating return dates or change penalties.

Just sayin'.

Very interesting - did you read my previous post which explains my particular travel dates. Perhaps you can shed some light for me if you look at it. I only have current FF miles with Delta and points on my Edward Jones Mastercard.

One of the problems I have found on some consolidator flights is a very cheap fare from Detroit to Florence, however there is a plane transfer at Heathrow to a plane at Gatwick. I would rather pay some extra dollars and get there in 12 hours than go cheap and spend 36 hours traveling!

Another query, We want to fly out to Florence Oct 13 - how long do you think I can put off booking? I try to look at available seats on the Delta site to get an idea of when they might raise the price.
There's no way of knowing what will happen in the future, or when.

If I were in your shoes, and I was trying to work out whether I was going to do a further cruise next year that would allow me to use the second half of a round-trip air ticket, I wouldn't personally be panicking to buy the air ticket right now. I think that the chances are that there will still be time before the air fare goes up significantly, particularly if I can build in a little flexibility around the exact dates of travel. But I would be fully alive to the risk that waiting to get my plans sorted out might cost me several hundred dollars per person in extra airfare. That's a risk I take all the time when my plans haven't yet crystallised.

I don't know where you're flying from, but I've had a look at Delta fares to Florence from a random start point in the middle of the USA.

The problem is, as I suspected, a maximum stay restriction of three months. On the cheap fare that I can see, which is (for this randomly-chosen route) about $980, the stay restrictions are:-

Minimum stay restrictions:

TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

Maximum stay restrictions:

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Here's what happens if you book a ticket for October out, November back; and then later you change the return half to April:-
Penalties:

ORIGINATING AREA 1 -

CHANGES

BEFORE DEPARTURE

CHARGE USD 250.00/CAD 250.00.

TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ANY VOLUNTARY CHANGE IS MADE. CHANGE FEE PLUS ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARE MUST BE COLLECTED AT TIME OF CHANGE OR CHANGE WILL NOT BE PERMITTED.

IF CHANGE DOES NOT OCCUR ON THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT OF THE JOURNEY NEW FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED USING FARES IN EFFECT ON PREVIOUS TICKET ISSUED DATE UNDER FOLLOWING CONDITIONS-

-IF SAME BOOKING CLASS- NEW FARE MAY BE LOWER / EQUAL / HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE AND-

A. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE

B. OR MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED.

C. IF RESULT IS REFUND - REFUND WILL BE IN THE FORM OF NON-REFUNDABLE VOUCHER

-IF DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS- NEW FARE MAY BE EQUAL / HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE AND-

A. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE

B. OR MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISINS OF THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED.

You can probably see the problem straight away. Once you change the return date for a date more than three months after your outbound date, you no longer comply with all the fare rules of your original fare. So you must be re-fared using the fares in effect on the date on which your ticket was originally issued. Because you're now staying for more than three months, the fare goes up to the ~$3,500 level you've seen (plus the change fee).

But you're not tied to Delta, are you? I can see fares as low as about $1,700 for an October out, March back trip on that randomly-chosen route. But it's difficult to do more without knowing exactly where you need to fly from and to.

Very interesting - did you read my previous post which explains my particular travel dates. Perhaps you can shed some light for me if you look at it. I only have current FF miles with Delta and points on my Edward Jones Mastercard.

One of the problems I have found on some consolidator flights is a very cheap fare from Detroit to Florence, however there is a plane transfer at Heathrow to a plane at Gatwick. I would rather pay some extra dollars and get there in 12 hours than go cheap and spend 36 hours traveling!

Yes I did look at your dates, which is why I mentioned the MIA-MAD flight on 10/12 as being wide open for award seats. You leave on 10/12 and land in Europe the morning of 10/13. The AA flight to Madrid lands at 7:40 AM, you connect to a flight from Madrid to Pisa that leaves at 9:55 AM and arrives at noon. Catch the transfer bus from PSA to Florence (about an hour on the road) and you're sipping a Campari by 2.

I'm not suggesting you pay any attention to your Delta miles. Unlike Delta, AA offers one-way awards using AA or any of its partners. So you open an AA account, buy the miles, and then turn around and redeem them for a one-way ticket. If you want to ignore AA for the rest of time after that, go for it.

As for switching between LHR and LGW, it's a pain and an expensive one at that. Skip it.

Archived