Live from the Majesty of the Seas - July 20, 2012

Here I am again, trying out another "live" thread, this time from a quick weekend getaway on the Majesty of the Seas. I thought I'd get an early start on this thread while I'm being entertained by all the YouTube videos of the Majesty that I can find that are now playing on my TV.

I'm flying down to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow afternoon and meeting my friend, Bryan, who'll be joining me on the cruise at the airport. From there, we'll drive down to Miami. We'll be staying at the Embassy Suites tomorrow night.

I sailed on the Majesty of the Seas last January in order to get a last minute cruise credit before the Crown & Anchor program changed, successfully achieving Platinum status before our Allure of the Seas cruise later in the summer. This time, I'm three points shy of Emerald, so I'm doing it again! (Plus, Bryan is just one point shy of Platinum, so he gets an extra benefit from going on this cruise, too.) :D

When we were on the Majesty last year, we missed Coco Cay, as often happens in winter. I'm looking forward to checking it out this time around and seeing how it compares with Labadee. I've read very favorable comments about Coco Cay, some saying that they prefer it over Labadee. I don't have any particular plans for Coco Cay, or for Nassau for that matter, other than just relaxing and having a good time. The weather forecast for Nassau on Sunday shows 92° ("RealFeel" 108°) with "lots of sun with a t-storm", so I'm definitely going to be doing what I can to keep as cool as possible this weekend!

There are some other particular things I'm looking forward to experiencing on the Majesty this time as well, and I'll be glad to share them with you all here when I can.

Some technical details for those who may be curious. During my trip, I'll be using my iPad 2 as my main computing device with an Apple Wireless Keyboard for easier journaling. I don't carry a laptop with me any longer. I'll be posting with Tapatalk HD for iPad. I'll be using a new camera I picked up recently, a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS20. It's a very nice super-compact camera with 20x optical zoom and full 1080p60 video recording. I have the Apple Camera Connection Kit which will permit me to copy the pictures to my iPad, from which I can then upload them to my online gallery, internet speed permitting, of course.

I know that the Majesty of the Seas is not one of the more favored ships for Royal Caribbean, but she does have a place in some cruisers' hearts. Despite some negative experiences that others have had, I'm sure that this will be a great cruise and I'm looking forward to spending every minute enjoying her as much as I can, and I'm also looking forward to sharing it with y'all. :)

Majesty was one of our first cruises in 1995. It seemed HUGE to us and probably was, at that time. We were blown away when we first entered the Centrum and saw the elevators gliding up the decks. We thought it was the most elegant ship ever built. WJ was two decks, no deli, no specialty restaurant. I think at that time only MDR was open for dinner. I would sail her in a NY minute if she ever sailed out of Galveston.

Enjoy your cruise. Can't wait to read more and see those pictures.

I can't wait to hear all about your cruise. The Majesty was the first cruise we ever took in 2009 ....We loved it! We have taken other cruises since, but she holds a special place in our heart! We are going on her again the end of August, can't wait!

Good morning from... ugh, Pittsburgh!

Okay, so I haven't left yet. That doesn't mean that I can't get into the cruise spirit early, right? I've got my carry-ons packed with all my necessities, and I'm waiting for the laundry to finish so that I can pack many day's worth of clothing. Unfortunately for my clothing situation, I have to pack for this trip and my follow-on trip to California all together, so I'm taking much more clothing than I would for a simply weekend cruise.

I'm still going over my mental checklists to ensure that I've got everything I need, like sunscreen, a cap to wear out in the sun, a fully charged iPad... that sort of stuff.

I expect to be heading out to the airport by 2 PM. I've already got my boarding pass for Southwest (I'm in the A group, thanks Early Bird check-in! :)). So far, everything's going just fine.

A neat place to view sailaway from is all the way aft on the outside promenade deck. No one goes back there it is so secluded. We pulled loungers back there and sat for an hour with no one there. Sipped our champagne we got for our B2B and had a blast on our "private" balcony. Enjoy!:)

Thanks for doing the "live" review from the Majesty!! Our first cruise, which started the addiction, was on the Majesty and I'll be on her next month. It will be nice to preview her again reading this thread. I'm one of the ones that has a soft spot for her! :)

I'm one step closer to the cruise. I'm typing this from the gate at Pittsburgh International Airport, waiting for my plane to arrive and start boarding. Alas, it's kind of icky weather here (rain with some thunderstorms), and they've already delayed the plane by 20 minutes. Fortunately, I've got a two hour layover in Orlando, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm doubly glad I'm going down the day before the cruise, though. :)

One little bit of personal excitement for me on this trip. It's my first time using my newly made, embroidered luggage tag.

normal_P1010360.JPG

I found the pattern online and made it in anticipation of my October cruise, but now I can give it a try on this trip.

I'm also going on this cruise tomorrow, I have to work in the morning but at 1pm I'm out of there on my way to the port! This is the first cruise I've been on where someone is posting a "live report" I'll look out for you! we should have great weather, hot and dry!

I'm one step closer to the cruise. I'm typing this from the gate at Pittsburgh International Airport, waiting for my plane to arrive and start boarding. Alas, it's kind of icky weather here (rain with some thunderstorms), and they've already delayed the plane by 20 minutes. Fortunately, I've got a two hour layover in Orlando, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm doubly glad I'm going down the day before the cruise, though. :)

One little bit of personal excitement for me on this trip. It's my first time using my newly made, embroidered luggage tag.

normal_P1010360.JPG

I found the pattern online and made it in anticipation of my October cruise, but now I can give it a try on this trip.

Can you tell me where you got the pattern. We are taking a friend for her 50th birthday and these would be perfect for our group.

Thanks so much!

Can you tell me where you got the pattern. We are taking a friend for her 50th birthday and these would be perfect for our group.

Thanks so much!

Sure! Go here to find the embroidery pattern and links to in-the-hoop instructions.

Although I'm a bit closer, I'm still not there. After an hour-long delay leaving Pittsburgh, I'm now waiting for my connecting flight here in Orlando. I think this really reinforces why it's good to fly in the day before sailing because you never know what delays might pop up and mess with your plans.

The flight itself was a little bumpy in the beginning and at the end, but was smooth for the rest of it. I used the time onboard to catch up on a couple TV shows I had loaded onto my iPad.

I'm also going on this cruise tomorrow, I have to work in the morning but at 1pm I'm out of there on my way to the port! This is the first cruise I've been on where someone is posting a "live report" I'll look out for you! we should have great weather, hot and dry!

:D

I guess you're local. That will be pretty exciting for you to leave work and be able to go right to the cruise. That's definitely the way to bring on the weekend!

You'll probably be able to find me hanging out somewhere uploading pictures and posting my thoughts, perhaps with a glass of wine :), somewhere where I can find a Wi-Fi signal. Last year, our cabin was close to the Centrum, so we had access in our cabin. I don't think our cabin this time, all the way forward, will be as lucky.

I guess you're local. That will be pretty exciting for you to leave work and be able to go right to the cruise. That's definitely the way to bring on the weekend

It is exciting on those weekends I get to go, however on the other Fridays I can see the ship leave port without me -- not so good.

I usually get to see Oasis and Allure also every weekend sailing away.:cool:

Wiil have to wait until my December for Allure cruise!

I can't believe I found a live report at the beginning of the cruise; normally I find these threads mid way thru the cruise; so I will be here to watch the fun begin.

Latest update... I'm in Fort Lauderdale! My bag arrived with me as well, so that's certainly a good omen.

I'm now waiting for Bryan's flight to arrive. It should be here in the next 10-15 minutes, then we get his bag, and off to the rental car for the drive down to Miami.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. It's going to be a wonderful day!

Archived