Safety Drill on HAL - Place to Sit?

solocanadian

I can no longer stand for extended periods of time, especially 20 to 30 minutes required for safety drill. Last cruise I draped myself over the railing to get pressure off my hips after the Officer had come by. It was still an effort to stay standing. Does anyone know whether HAL loans out rollators for this purpose only or supply a folding chair? I don't need it to get around the ship, therefore don't want to fly with my own. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

HAL does not have rollators to loan out -- HAL doesn't even have wheelchairs to loan out.

The only chairs available at the lifeboat stations are the loungers which take up a lot of space -- that is why they are folded up against the wall.

I have no choice but to rent a walker/rollator for my cruises through CareVacation as I need it to walk.

I can not stand for any length of time either.

I read that post about the one lifeboat drill lasting 45 minutes. Even if I can sit on my seat on the walker/rollator, if I am out in the sun that long -- I will get sick and could possibly pass out.

Sure wish HAL would have their lifeboat drills inside.

Why don't you stop by or call the ship's medical office and explain your situation? There is usually a much faster version of muster on the following day and you might be allowed to attend that.

One of our party last year had to miss muster for medical reasons and was allowed to go the following day. The doctor set things up for her.

And let's hope they've speeded things up. I'm planning to wear and hat and sunscreen.

If all passengers would just so what they need to do in a timely fashion, I'm sure the drill would be over much more quickly!

And I do think it's a very important drill...:)

If I were you Gail, I would head to the medical office as soon as possible after you board.

I travelled with a friend who can't walk very far and who can't stand. HER/OUR muster drill ended up being a total mess. What about one of those folding cane/cloth stool combos? Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Seat-Cane-Weight-Capacity/dp/B000BZ8PM4

I swear, if I ever need some kind of assistance for a mobility impairment, I will be carrying a cane. Nearly everyone my friend and I came in contact with looked at us like we were lying. One HAL rep even had the audacity to say "You don't REALLY need a wheelchair, do you dear?" with a smirk when we insisted that she needed a wheelchair to get though Canada Place terminal.

One would think HAL would like to know who on the ship might have the most issues getting off the ship in case of an emergency so they can target those passengers for extra assistance if necessary. Maybe a special indoor safety briefing for passengers with standing or mobility issues would be best - the rest of us can grumble outdoors but it won't hurt us, and HAL won't have to worry about finding indoor seating for the entire cruise pax.

One would think HAL would like to know who on the ship might have the most issues getting off the ship in case of an emergency so they can target those passengers for extra assistance if necessary. Maybe a special indoor safety briefing for passengers with standing or mobility issues would be best - the rest of us can grumble outdoors but it won't hurt us, and HAL won't have to worry about finding indoor seating for the entire cruise pax.

HAL is aware of my medical issues and I do get a letter in the stateroom indicating that they know about my problems.

Don't know what or if anything they could do to help should there be a real emergency.

I can no longer stand for extended periods of time, especially 20 to 30 minutes required for safety drill. Last cruise I draped myself over the railing to get pressure off my hips after the Officer had come by. It was still an effort to stay standing. Does anyone know whether HAL loans out rollators for this purpose only or supply a folding chair? I don't need it to get around the ship, therefore don't want to fly with my own. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

I found an SRI form on the HAL website. It has a place at the bottom for other. It also has a phone number, so you might try to call it ahead of time for advice. "IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS FORM OR OUR FACILITIES, PLEASE CALL ACCESS & COMPLIANCE AT (800) 547-8493."

Want to add, that's the "Special Requirements Information" form, and you can find it by searching on special requirements.

Edited by PatsyAnne
to add the name of the form and search

HAL could speed things up by having passengers check in with their lifeboat captain as they reach the station. Taking roll after everyone is there slows the process down. Factor in hearing problems and weird pronunciations of names and the drill takes too long.

I would expect Holland America to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act for most cruises and make reasonable accommodations for those who are unable to stand.

Having just completed a cruise on NCL where our Life Boat Drill station was an aft Main Dining Room where we were divided up into sections and were able to be seated at a table I found I totally loved the way they handled their Life Boat Drill, the whole process took just under 15 minutes total from when we arrived and when we left. They did state that those who did not attend and were checked off the list would be required to do the make up drill the following day.

I know that when we were on Princess they too had people meet in carious lounges.

I cannot quite understand why HAL must make it so much more difficult, while yes I do understand the importance of the drill in all honesty people were far more quiet and actually listening to the instructions on NCL compared to any HAL Life Boat Drill I have attended.

While I do not have a disability I do have problems standing for long periods of time and truly dread HAL's Life Boat Drill. :o

Solocanadian/Gail; there is an easy solution to your issue! When HAL instituted the current mandatory pax safety drill, a Medical Officer/Nurse is now stationed at the bottom of the Atrium near the entrances to the 'Boat Deck' (LP Deck on the S and R class vessels and on Prinsendam; Promenade Deck on the Vistas & Signatures) starting at 15 min prior to the commencement of the drill. Contact that medical officer and advise him/her that you are unable to stand for long periods of time during the drill. He/she will contact the Bridge/Staff Captain via portable radio and they will check you off the muster list.

There is some good advice here also from Tangerinebunny and Trixiee re: contacting the Infirmary staff ahead of time (after embarking) however, if you contact the medical officer stationed in the Atrium, it's a done deal. He/She will have you take a seat on one of the benches in/near the Atrium for the duration of the drill. Have a great voyage!

While I understand some passengers may have issues with the drill outside by the actual lifeboat, I think that is an important part of the drill. The other lines that do it inside don't even know if passengers can find their lifeboat, to me that is a problem. The drill needs to resemble what will actually occur as best it can. I don't have a solution for those with limited mobility, maybe they have a separate drill or have some limited seating at each lifeboat but I am not a fan of inside lifeboat drills at all.

While I understand some passengers may have issues with the drill outside by the actual lifeboat, I think that is an important part of the drill. The other lines that do it inside don't even know if passengers can find their lifeboat, to me that is a problem. The drill needs to resemble what will actually occur as best it can. I don't have a solution for those with limited mobility, maybe they have a separate drill or have some limited seating at each lifeboat but I am not a fan of inside lifeboat drills at all.

Kirk, that is just it, with the other cruise lines even in the case of an emergency they are not to go to their Life Boat Station unter the Life Boat unless it is announced to do so otherwise in case of emergency they are to go to the meeting station which is where they hold the Life Boat Drill. They will hand out life jackets there if you were not in your cabin. There are definitely pros and cons to both but in recent times such as listing of the ship and or fires that occurred several years ago on Princess, actually meeting in your designated area INSIDE was actually safer than being outside.

Btw, the fist time you enter your stateroom after embarking, you'll find the Daily Program waiting for you and/or it is part of your welcome aboard package handed to you at shore-side check-in. In it, on the front page, and on the hourly breakdown inside, is listed the Pax Safety Drill, the time it is scheduled plus the fact that it is mandatory

Even if fine folks do not pick up the DP and read it, 30 min. before the commencement of the drill, there is a P/A announcement by the cruise director. This is followed 15 min later and again at the time the drill commences. That's three P/A announcements! If every passenger took the time and effort to make it to their designated muster station by the time the drill commences, same would be over and done with in 15 mins, 20 tops. What makes the drill last longer just about every time is the 'tardy & no show factor' by passengers. No show and tardy means there are cabins & names unaccounted for at the boat/muster stations those fine folks are assigned to, at times 5-15 minutes after the commencement time of the drill. That has a slinky effect in that incomplete muster rosters result in longer wait times for those pax who had their respective acts together and took the responsibility to arrive at their boat station(s) on time.

Lastly, if you advise HAL prior to, or at, embarkation that you have a disability and/or are mobility impaired, that info. is noted on the muster list you are assigned to behind your name and cabin number, and is relayed to your room stewards and to their Housekeeping supervisor(s) at the start of your voyage. Those muster lists are kept in the crew only staircases on boat deck and are retrieved by your boat commanders upon the sounding of those alarms. In case of an emergency/general emergency alarm/boat station muster/abandon ship, you can count on extra assistance being dispatched to your stateroom (in the case you find yourself inside your cabin at the time of such alarm) as well as extra equipment in the form of emergency transport devices, i.e. wheelchairs, stair climbers and/or an Evacu-Trac (mobility transport device). Crew trains regularly on how to use those devices

I agree with you 100% ... for the reason you wrote ... the drill needs to be held at each person's lifeboat. I can't imagine sitting in a dining room hearing a talk, and then knowing exactly where to go in case of an actual emergency.

I agree with you 100% ... for the reason you wrote ... the drill needs to be held at each person's lifeboat. I can't imagine sitting in a dining room hearing a talk, and then knowing exactly where to go in case of an actual emergency.

I agree, it definitely has to be held at the lifeboat stations, but something has to be done about the no-shows to avoid everyone else standing there for an additional half hour or so. On our last cruise there were several no-shows, several PA announcements, and all of us who took it seriously had to stand around waiting for those stragglers to eventually turn up. I think they should ignore them, and disembark them when found:D instead of punishing the rest of us.

I agree, it definitely has to be held at the lifeboat stations, but something has to be done about the no-shows to avoid everyone else standing there for an additional half hour or so. On our last cruise there were several no-shows, several PA announcements, and all of us who took it seriously had to stand around waiting for those stragglers to eventually turn up. I think they should ignore them, and disembark them when found:D instead of punishing the rest of us.[/quote]

I would be in favor of that!!

Edited by Linda&Vern

True, except that only works if your assigned lifeboat station is functional. As recent incidents proved, that is not always the case. A call to abandon ship is only given as a last case measure. I don't expect a ship would be upright and all life boats functional when a call to abandon ship was made.

My experience on the Veendam last August for the life board drill was not only painful, but also of questionable value. To explain: my husband and I had been standing in the terminal for hours as boarding was delayed for "technical reasons". Finally, we decided to sit on the floor after standing for hours. By the time boarding was finally permitted, my trick knee was acting up. After boarding, we went to our muster station promptly as called. Again, we stood and waited. Neither of us had eaten anything since 6am, and it was then 5pm. My knee, normally functional was by now totally non-functional. Other passengers showed signs of more serious disress and discomfort, but were admirable in their patience and behaviour. Those passengers have my great respect.

We appreciate the need for instruction in the event of a call to abandon ship. But once the drill commenced, we could not understand a word that was said over the tannoy. There was simply too much noise from the fork lifts and raising gangplanks on the dock. Yes, I learned from the drill where my lifeboat station was located. (I studied that from the map on my cabin door immediately upon entering the cabin.) If instructions were given about what to do if that lifeboat station was rendered inoperable in an emergency, I didn't hear it.

I agree with previous posters who indicated that HAL needs to improve the muster drill procedures. Regards, Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Solocanadian/Gail; there is an easy solution to your issue! When HAL instituted the current mandatory pax safety drill, a Medical Officer/Nurse is now stationed at the bottom of the Atrium near the entrances to the 'Boat Deck' (LP Deck on the S and R class vessels and on Prinsendam; Promenade Deck on the Vistas & Signatures) starting at 15 min prior to the commencement of the drill. Contact that medical officer and advise him/her that you are unable to stand for long periods of time during the drill. He/she will contact the Bridge/Staff Captain via portable radio and they will check you off the muster list.

There is some good advice here also from Tangerinebunny and Trixiee re: contacting the Infirmary staff ahead of time (after embarking) however, if you contact the medical officer stationed in the Atrium, it's a done deal. He/She will have you take a seat on one of the benches in/near the Atrium for the duration of the drill. Have a great voyage!

Yes We just sailed MS Statendam and my so has the same problem can not stand even for short periods even with a walker:eek: Well We checked in with the Head Guru and stated she will be in the nearest seat as the whole thing was carried over the pa system. Our main complaint is that they would start until everyone present. turns out one couple was asleep in there stateroom so we all had to wait until security woke them up to attend, This added over thirty minutes:mad:.

Yes We just sailed MS Statendam and my so has the same problem can not stand even for short periods even with a walker:eek: Well We checked in with the Head Guru and stated she will be in the nearest seat as the whole thing was carried over the pa system. Our main complaint is that they would start until everyone present. turns out one couple was asleep in there stateroom so we all had to wait until security woke them up to attend, This added over thirty minutes:mad:.

After waiting 20 minutes for the drill to commence, I heard one passenger in the rows behind me in the heat on the deck of the Veendam last August: "It's not so much a safety drill as it is an endurance test":eek:

Just as one example what I thought was an improved procedure: On Princess Caribbean in May of 2011, the drill I attended was held inside, and seating was available for those who needed it. Each passenger submitted their key card, and were registered as having attended the drill. Those passengers that did not show up on time were fetched and brought post haste to the drill. No roll call, very little waiting time. The instructions were clearly heard by all. Anyone with questions after the drill were welcomed to remain and have their questions addressed. Each passenger was instructed to put on their life jacket and subsequently checked by staff to make sure the life jacket instructions were followed.

While I sympathize with everyone who has physical problems attending the muster, while it is unpleasant, it is one of the favorite times of my cruise as I know I have a great week ahead!

Try to stay positive and think of the good things that come afterward.:)