What is the pub lunch?

stipmom

Thanks

Pub Lunch*

Step into the Wheelhouse Bar onboard for a taste of British tradition. You'll find a menu of favorites advertised on chalkboards and displayed on counters for an authentic pub feel including fish & chips or a hearty Ploughman's Lunch.

* Locations may vary from ship to ship.

English fish and chip lunch held in the Wheelhouse Bar on ships that have one on sea days.

On ships without could be held in the DR.

Also have...

Bangers and mash.

Its very good

English fish and chip lunch held in the Wheelhouse Bar on ships that have one on sea days.

On ships without could be held in the DR.

Also have the

Ploughmans lunch

Bangers and mash.

Its very good

On our recent cruise we found in addition to the above Steak & Kidney Pie as well as Prawns & Chips and Scotch Egg. It was held in the Crown Grill. There is a good selection of British and International beers (wish they had draft beer though) and they make a decent attempt at the decor of a pub. The staff is all bar staff, not waiters which is either a training thing or giving others a break while utilizing bar staff to an advantage at that time of day. Service by the novice can be fun in itself. We never miss it.

I've had the pub lunch on other ships but I have to say that on the Island in October, it was awful. After ordering the fish and chips, he came back immediately (maybe 15 seconds later) after taking my order with a plate of two small (maybe 3"x1"), very overdone pieces of fish that I needed a knife to cut. I asked for tartar sauce and was given a tiny cup of a liquid. I asked another waiter for tartar sauce and he brought another tiny cup of the same stuff. The fish came with perhaps four pieces of potato. I left a few minutes after attempting to eat this stuff. It really was nasty and no one cared. It was so unlike my experience on the Star last year which was wonderful. :(

The pub lunch appears to have gotten so popular that everything is cooked ahead of time, and continually, so that as soon as the first people are seated, they can be served to free up the table. I saw this on my last Star cruise.

I've considered trying it, but due to the line, I usually end up in the MDR.

There were two Pub Lunches held during my cruise on Ruby Princess last month (in the Wheelhouse Bar), both on sea days. The first Pub Lunch I had the Fish and Chips (yum) with some of my new Cruise Critic friends, the second Pub Lunch I had the Scotch Egg. It was served cold for some odd reason, should have had them heat it up for me. Still tasty. I had them before and they were served hot. I had a fake beer since I'm not supposed to drink alcohol.

8303183610_c18895ed55_z.jpg

8302143251_00019f70db_z.jpg

To answer the original query.

An English Pub Lunch is high carbohydrate, high fat, high GI food. Not really good for long term health.

In one English pub near Westminster all that was left was Cornish Pastie with 3 veg . The pastie was fatty sausage meat and unpeeled potatoes and turnips encased in an armour plated pastry crust, served with roast potato, mashed potato and chips !!!!!

Thankfully the Princess offering is a lot better but still very calorific and not to be eaten too often, if you want to steer clear of the cardiac surgeon.

We had the Chicken Curry one day which was lovely and the Fish and Chips another, the batter on the fish isn't quite up to British standards but it was nice enough. There was also a basket of breaded prawns on offer.

When you have multiple sea days in a row, how often do they serve the pub lunch?

It depends on the ship.

Sometimes I have seen it held every sea day. Sometimes I have seen it only on a couple of sea days over the course of a cruise.

The pub lunch appears to have gotten so popular that everything is cooked ahead of time, and continually, so that as soon as the first people are seated, they can be served to free up the table. I saw this on my last Star cruise.

I've considered trying it, but due to the line, I usually end up in the MDR.

Precisely why we wait until the Pub has been in operation for about an hour when the kitchen is falling behind a bit and not only is the fare fresh and hot but you have a little time to enjoy the beverage of your choice. And remember this is not a commercial restaurant. We order three servings between the two of us if we are hungry, especially on prawn days and if you want ten tarter sauces you need but ask. The only thing that you must pay for is the alcohol beverage. The "waiters" in training are a little over polite, which is a nice change and even their fumbling and confusion is part of the lunch fun.

Archived