Flying in day of.....

cobianlover

What time are you expected to land since you have a late morning flight? You have to be onboard usually by 2:30-3:00 for a ship leaving at 4:00pm. We have sometimes flew in on the day of the cruise, but taking the first flight out of PHL on SW, which is usually at 6:30am to MCO (going to Port Canaveral or FLL going to MIA). This cruise we were all set to leave on the normal flights, but they were either sold out, or the price jumped up more than usually, so we opted to take early and midday flights out on the day before.

As long as their are no airport delays, or cancelations then you should be fine.

I had a friend that was flying to Huston, TX from Charlotte, NC today. He got the the airport. They told them at boarding time they they would be delayed about 30 minutes due to a maintinance issue. They boarded 30 minutes later as they were told. They were told it should take a few more minutes and they would be leaving. He said they started going up to the tarmak and stopped. The sat there for 1.5 more hours. They said there were having computer issues in the cockpit and cancled the flight. Luckily his trip was a work trip and he got to stay home, but you never know what can come up atthe last minute.

We are flying in the late morning of the day of our cruise (June 29th)....please tell me this won't be a problem!!?!?!?

My favorite answer to this question comes from an ATC (Air Traffic Controller). "You are one thunderstorm away from missing your cruise." Nobody knows the odds for that day. Nobody knows the weather, the state of the airplane, the airline's computer system, the taxi/shuttle tires, etc of that day. The answer you seek is indeterminate at this time because, nobody knows if you will run into problems or not. Because of this is why most CCer's fly in a day or two ahead of time.

What port? Most cruise lines, you have to be on board one and a half hours before departure. They have to provide the port with a manifest of all passengers for compliance.

What time are you expected to land since you have a late morning flight? You have to be onboard usually by 2:30-3:00 for a ship leaving at 4:00pm. We have sometimes flew in on the day of the cruise, but taking the first flight out of PHL on SW, which is usually at 6:30am to MCO (going to Port Canaveral or FLL going to MIA). This cruise we were all set to leave on the normal flights, but they were either sold out, or the price jumped up more than usually, so we opted to take early and midday flights out on the day before.

We are scheduled to arrive at Miami Airport at 11:58am. I've booked our transfer with Carnival so I'm hoping that helps too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As an Airline Pilot, I would NEVER fly on the day of the cruise. If the average person knew all the things that can (and do) go wrong, they would NEVER take a chance either.

Just today in Houston, there were so many stranded passengers at my concourse within a 4 hour span, that it looked like a refugee camp. The interesting thing is that the delays of the various flights were, in the most part, not related to each other. One was delayed due to a late inbound aircraft, another one due to maintenance, another one came in late and was delayed further due to another maintenance issue, another one was canceled due to the crew timing out, a few more were delayed due to reroutes, and they were short on rampers, making everything worse. And the crew that timed out in Houston caused a ripple effect canceling a couple more flights down the line because the airplane is still sitting in Houston. And that crew won't be where they were scheduled to be tomorrow morning so there may still be more delays or cancellations tomorrow morning at some other city as a result.

But yes, go ahead and book your flight for the morning of your cruise's departure! It should be just fine! :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Plus, just because your plane lands at 11:58 doesn't mean that you're getting on the shuttle right after. It takes time to get off the plane, get to baggage claim, get to the shuttle and then get to the port. There are so many issues that can cause a flight delay and it doesn't take a long delay to miss the ship.

I don't want to freak anyone out. But there's just no way for anyone to tell you that it will all work out.

I consider the cost of flying in the day before a good insurance policy and stress reducer. The added bonus is a good night's sleep before embarkation.

I too vote for 1-2 days ahead whenever you can. I do understand that it is not always an option for many reasons. This year 1 Dd sat on the runway, went back to the terminal, deplaned, re boarded, sat with the option to deplane and eventually took off 4 hours late. Other Dd took off late and then couldn't land due to lightening strikes in the area. Arrived at final destination several hours late. These were different airlines and different times of the year. As Tapi explained, stuff happens despite everyone's best efforts.

We are scheduled to arrive at Miami Airport at 11:58am. I've booked our transfer with Carnival so I'm hoping that helps too.

Does Carnival know that you have a flight arriving around noon?

Plenty of people do fly in the day of cruises. IF planning to do so, then ONLY consider the first flight out. This isn't the place to sleep in, or picking the cheaper flight.

Does posting this common question, and getting the "sure you will be ok" responses make them feel better? Who knows? :)

There are risks that people MUST be willing to accept. There is no perfect world. This poster is claims they are arriving around noon. It is likely going to be close to 1pm they will hook up with a transfer, by time they get off the plane, from the gate, pick up bags, find where they are going.

Many people aren't frequent flyers. I fly just about every month, and see panic every time. People aren't allowing enough time for check in, security, getting to gates, over pack bags. etc etc A little over a week ago, a woman runs up to the gate, Mia, claiming the plane had to wait for someone traveling with her because they were finishing their meal. 4 names were called several times. Guess what, they didn't and the seats went to stand bys. I did not see her get on. She was arguing as the stand bys were clearing and walking by her. :)

We have only flown in once on the day of the cruise and were grateful we had booked the Carnival Transfer from airport to the port because our arriving plane that was to take us got delayed (2hrs). Carnival met us at the airport told us to load on the bus immediately for the port and they took our luggage information and would see to it that it was picked up and delivered to the ship. This was for a May cruise. We learned our lesson and always go in at least a day or two before the cruise now. The cruise that we took right after this just showed us that we had made the right decision, plane delayed again and there were several passengers aboard that were taking cruises with another line. The plane was delayed 3hrs, airline asked that we allow them to get off first so they could make their cruise well guess who we saw when we arrived at our hotel but all the people that did not make that cruise!

I thought that booking Carnival transfers doesn't mean the ship will wait for you if your plane comes in late. Only booking Carnival AIR would protect you in that event. Either way, wouldn't want to start my vacation with the stress of possibly missing the ship. Unless it was the first flight out in the early a.m. I would try to switch it to the day before. We always come in one day early- and on an early flight at that, in case it is delayed or cancelled.

If, and I repeat if, everything goes as scheduled you will be fine. Is your flight a direct flight Baltimore or DC to Miami? If you have a connection lots of problems could pop up, especially if your connection is in Atlanta.

We are flying in the late morning of the day of our cruise (June 29th)....please tell me this won't be a problem!!?!?!?

Living on the edge, I see. Keeps ya young! :D We fly in a day or two before, so there isn't stress... I'd go mad wondering if I'd make it to the port on time. Kinda like you are! I'm sure everything will be fine... once you change your flight, of course. :p

--Mags

I am not going to tell you it will be okay. It may be okay, but have another plan in your back pocket, and hopefully travel insurance. While waiting for our flights for our most recent cruise, there were 6 people whose flights had been cancelled and they were hoping to catch up with the ship in Cozumel. That is not always even a possibility because of PSVA restrictions. DH and i had our plans changed twice from our original itineraries because of maintenance delays, ground stops and missed connections. We arrived at 1 am. There was another couple who never made the cruise because their crew got stuck in NYC, there were no more seats available from Miami to San Juan and any rerouting was over $1500 for same day flights.

I would rather get in a day early than be worried or frazzled starting my trip.

Edited by MommaBear55

I wouldn't and Don't like Tapi just to many things that can go wrong we flew into NYC last august on our return flight we were scheduled to leave at 10pm plane was delayed coming in to airport after 2 hrs they were going to cancel flight till next am but they did get a plane so we were able to fly out at 3am I would change my flight and fly out a day early if possible if not good luck

I thought that booking Carnival transfers doesn't mean the ship will wait for you if your plane comes in late. Only booking Carnival AIR would protect you in that event. Either way, wouldn't want to start my vacation with the stress of possibly missing the ship. Unless it was the first flight out in the early a.m. I would try to switch it to the day before. We always come in one day early- and on an early flight at that, in case it is delayed or cancelled.

Just because someone books Carnival transfers or flights, there are no guarantees you will make the cruise. This is a myth. With the transfers, if you are there in TIME, sure they will be available, but a cab is going to go to the same place, so the costly transfers are NOT of any benefit. The Cruise Air, "may" wait for you, but if you are stuck in Atlanta, sorry, no the ship is not going to make sure you get on the ship. The departure may be delayed, but not indefinitely.

Is there a particular reason to take such a big risk of missing your cruise instead of flying in the day before?

Yes, chances are pretty good you'd make it with a little time to spare. But as mentioned one thunderstorm and you're sitting in Miami figuring out what to do instead of enjoying your cruise. Or you get to buy a new wardrobe in the FunShops because your luggage didn't make it.

Cruises are expensive and I'd never risk cutting it that close; you're betting your cruise on everything working out perfectly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As an Airline Pilot, I would NEVER fly on the day of the cruise. If the average person knew all the things that can (and do) go wrong, they would NEVER take a chance either.

Just today in Houston, there were so many stranded passengers at my concourse within a 4 hour span, that it looked like a refugee camp. The interesting thing is that the delays of the various flights were, in the most part, not related to each other. One was delayed due to a late inbound aircraft, another one due to maintenance, another one came in late and was delayed further due to another maintenance issue, another one was canceled due to the crew timing out, a few more were delayed due to reroutes, and they were short on rampers, making everything worse. And the crew that timed out in Houston caused a ripple effect canceling a couple more flights down the line because the airplane is still sitting in Houston. And that crew won't be where they were scheduled to be tomorrow morning so there may still be more delays or cancellations tomorrow morning at some other city as a result.

But yes, go ahead and book your flight for the morning of your cruise's departure! It should be just fine! :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

LIKE! and your posts are always very informative (sometimes nicely sarcastic as well)!

Plenty of people do fly in the day of cruises. IF planning to do so, then ONLY consider the first flight out. This isn't the place to sleep in, or picking the cheaper flight.

Does posting this common question, and getting the "sure you will be ok" responses make them feel better? Who knows? :)

There are risks that people MUST be willing to accept. There is no perfect world. This poster is claims they are arriving around noon. It is likely going to be close to 1pm they will hook up with a transfer, by time they get off the plane, from the gate, pick up bags, find where they are going.

Many people aren't frequent flyers. I fly just about every month, and see panic every time. People aren't allowing enough time for check in, security, getting to gates, over pack bags. etc etc A little over a week ago, a woman runs up to the gate, Mia, claiming the plane had to wait for someone traveling with her because they were finishing their meal. 4 names were called several times. Guess what, they didn't and the seats went to stand bys. I did not see her get on. She was arguing as the stand bys were clearing and walking by her. :)

Is there a particular reason to take such a big risk of missing your cruise instead of flying in the day before?

Yes, chances are pretty good you'd make it with a little time to spare. But as mentioned one thunderstorm and you're sitting in Miami figuring out what to do instead of enjoying your cruise. Or you get to buy a new wardrobe in the FunShops because your luggage didn't make it.

Cruises are expensive and I'd never risk cutting it that close; you're betting your cruise on everything working out perfectly.

I think that people that do not fly very often don't undertand how things work at the airports these days.

I fly around 3 times a month and I would say at least a third of those trips something goes wrong in my plans.

They see the plane should be in at noon and think they will have plenty of time, but it is my experience you have at least a 1 in 3 chance of the plane landing after 2.

Recently a plane was way overbooked. The offers got so good, I gave up my seat even though it meant I would be getting in late being rebooked on a flight 2 hours later. When I got back to the gate, I noticed people I had been talking to from the original flight. Mechanical problems and they were still waiting for a new plane to be brought in. I actually left before the plane I was suppose to leave on 2 hours earilier.

Last summer, I planned my destiination wedding to Tybee Island, GA. Found a direct flight, under 2 hours, leaving at 7:30 am, 2 days before my wedding. We were boarded on time, and by all rights should have been on the ground in GA by 9:30 am. Due to mechanical delays, we were all de-planed and we didn't fly out until almost 7 hours later. It was a beautiful June day, no weather issues. Thankfully, I had a few days cushion to get stuff done and finalize things but if it had been a cruise we were flying in for, we'd have missed the ship.

If at all possible, I would switch your flights or try like heck to find insurance.