Please help me choose which Cruise!

GatorMomInNC

Which Cruise?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cruise?

• Celebrity 11 night September w/balcony
    • HAL 7 night June (2 rooms OV)
    • Disney 7 night June (1 room OV- cheapest)

I currently have 3 Alaskan cruises either booked or being held and I need help choosing!! I need to travel either June or September of 2015. I will be traveling with my DH and DS 8 and DS11 and POSSIBLY my mother. Two of the cruises include her, but I think we may have to go without her (she has been before, and it is much more expensive to travel with 5 vs 4).

Here are the choices, with pros and cons:

1) Celebrity Solstice September 11 night cruise from Seattle to Vancouver.

3A2K in the family verandah room. Price: $6800

Pros: Only one room with one bathroom, but the room is huge with 2 bedrooms and a living room and a BALCONY (only choice with a balcony). 11 nights vs. 7 nights. I've always wanted to go on a Solstice class and I think my husband would like Celebrity the best.

Cons: No Glacier Bay; September probably won't be as good as weather as June; Celebrity won't be as kid friendly

2) HAL Volendam June 10 night R/T Vancouver; two connecting OV rooms;

3A2K. Price $6900.

Pros: Glacier Bay! Two Rooms, Two Bathrooms! Smaller ship (which I like); we've been on HAL once before and my younger son likes the kids clubs (go figure); going in June so weather should be better.

Cons: Smaller ship (may be a little too low key for my husband); most expensive and we can't get 4 of us in one room, so if my mother has any health issues closer to PIF and can't go we can't reconfigure and by then prices would probably be out of sight

3) Disney Wonder June 8 R/T from Vancouver; 2A2K 2nd floor family OV (with the big porthole); price $5000 (plus I have a $200 OB credit, and canprobably shave another 2-5% off that with my Disney Visa or Disney gift cards using my Target card)

Pros: Cheapest, but only because my mom wouldn't go with us (my mom would pay 1/5 of the cruise costs of the other cruises, but that will still end up costing us significantly more); Only one room, but I've stayed in these exact rooms before and they are plenty big enough for the 4 of us; June, so hopefully better weather; we would be gold on Disney by then, so we could book excursions sooner; We are very familiar with the Wonder having cruised her 2 other times and we love her; Finally, it's Disney, 4 of our last 5 cruises have been Disney so obviously we love that!

Cons: No Glacier Bay :( We can't afford to have my mom go with us :( (though, really, I'm not sure we can really afford the other ones, now that I am seeing the difference in price)

so, experienced Alaskan cruisers, What would YOU do??

There are so many factors to consider. Stress over money is a big one...it is hard to enjoy yourself if you are feeling over-extended to do it. Have you traveled with your mum and shared quarters before? That has the potential to be another big stress. How badly do you want to see Glacier Bay? In the end, go with your heart, weather can be good or bad at either end of the season.

A bunch of strangers giving "recommendation"?

Why aren't you involving your mother in this decision? Is it some kind of "surprise" because you are paying? She can't pay for herself? etc NOT looking for any answers, just a general comment.

This a a private family decision. Any of the above choices could be the "one". :) And it appears it's involving the mother either going or not. Again a private issue.

I do agree that the Sept is the least desirable for weather, and being the last of the Alaska season, has the worse potential. Add to the mix it will be dark by 7 pm.

There is no mention of the ports, or port plans, where the times in port may be important?

A bunch of strangers giving "recommendation"?

Why aren't you involving your mother in this decision? Is it some kind of "surprise" because you are paying? She can't pay for herself? etc NOT looking for any answers, just a general comment.

it is a surprise for everyone BUT my mom, she wants to go if it is doable, but has left it up to me..

This a a private family decision. Any of the above choices could be the "one". :) And it appears it's involving the mother either going or not. Again a private issue.

I do agree that the Sept is the least desirable for weather, and being the last of the Alaska season, has the worse potential. Add to the mix it will be dark by 7 pm.

thanks, this is the kind of advice I'm looking for :-)

There is no mention of the ports, or port plans, where the times in port may be important?

I don't know enough about Alaska cruising to know which ports are better or worse...I am primarily looking for beautiful scenery an wildlife...

There are so many factors to consider. Stress over money is a big one...it is hard to enjoy yourself if you are feeling over-extended to do it. Have you traveled with your mum and shared quarters before? That has the potential to be another big stress. How badly do you want to see Glacier Bay? In the end, go with your heart, weather can be good or bad at either end of the season.

The one thing I've heard out Alaska is that Glacier Bay is really beautiful, so that is why I am concerned about doing a cruise and not including it in scenario...

The other thing to consider is how many ships will be in port at the same time. The Volendam sails on Wednesday and for our July 2 cruise out it meant that there were going to be fewer people on poet than for some of our other options. For example, in Skagway you'll be dealing with about 10,000 passengers on the same day with the Solstice, 3400 with the Volendam, and 7800 for the Disney Wonder.

Found that information here: http://skagway.com/skagway-cruiseship-calendar/

There are other sites for the other ports but my 5:00 am brain isn't finding them at the moment.

I know for us many suggested that Glacier Bay is a must, and the quietness of the HAL line drew us in. But it was the numbers at port that clinched it since none of us are crowd people. But those were our choices and you're in very different circumstances so there might be something more suitable for you.

Good luck with the decision. I guess the best thing to keep in mind is that supposedly any trip to Alaska will be amazing, so you can't go wrong and it'll be a question of degrees of greatness.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My first 3 Alaska cruises visited Hubbard Glacier instead of Glacier Bay. When I saw GB on cruise #4, there was no feeling of "OMG, look what I missed!" - in fact I rather missed seeing the incredible size of, and calving at, Hubbard. The balcony would be enough to make me choose the Solstice (which I'm sailing on for 12 days from Vancouver to Honolulu in September).

I don't know enough about Alaska cruising to know which ports are better or worse...I am primarily looking for beautiful scenery an wildlife...

You mention "afford" several times in the OP. Wildlife needs tours, you aren't likely to see a lot without them. These are significant added costs, which, in my opinion are half the trip.

The key for you is to find out about each of these ports. Head to your library.

My opinion only, Alaska isn't the place to "surprise" people with no advance notice. There is so much to see and do, plans are better when there is input by everybody. If you don't want to shop and just stay downtown, then "crowds" mean little. There are plenty of remote private areas and tours to get away.

My first 3 Alaska cruises visited Hubbard Glacier instead of Glacier Bay. When I saw GB on cruise #4, there was no feeling of "OMG, look what I missed!" - in fact I rather missed seeing the incredible size of, and calving at, Hubbard. The balcony would be enough to make me choose the Solstice (which I'm sailing on for 12 days from Vancouver to Honolulu in September).

Ok, thanks. I am a little worried that I will make my decision based on GB and then it will be cancelled...anyone have any idea if wildlife viewing. Better on certain itineraries than others?

You mention "afford" several times in the OP. Wildlife needs tours, you aren't likely to see a lot without them. These are significant added costs, which, in my opinion are half the trip.

The key for you is to find out about each of these ports. Head to your library.

My opinion only, Alaska isn't the place to "surprise" people with no advance notice. There is so much to see and do, plans are better when there is input by everybody. If you don't want to shop and just stay downtown, then "crowds" mean little. There are plenty of remote private areas and tours to get away.

I realize I am going to spend a lot on excursions, which is why I want to keep the "base" price reasonable to begin with. I will get off and see the ports, but that isn't primarily what I am cruising Alaska for.

I am booking way ahead for Alaska because I want to lock in rates. Not telling my kids yet because plans could always change and not telling my husband because he HATES to plan ahead. He travels every week for work and doesn't like to hear about or make any travel decisions, just lets me do it and tell him before final payment is made. He doesn't lik cruising and hasn't gone on a cruise in 11 years, but he told me he would want to do an Alaskan cruise but doesn't want to have to make any decisions. As time draws closer I will be letting them know, of course...

The other thing to consider is how many ships will be in port at the same time. The Volendam sails on Wednesday and for our July 2 cruise out it meant that there were going to be fewer people on poet than for some of our other options. For example, in Skagway you'll be dealing with about 10,000 passengers on the same day with the Solstice, 3400 with the Volendam, and 7800 for the Disney Wonder.

Found that information here: http://skagway.com/skagway-cruiseship-calendar/

There are other sites for the other ports but my 5:00 am brain isn't finding them at the moment.

I know for us many suggested that Glacier Bay is a must, and the quietness of the HAL line drew us in. But it was the numbers at port that clinched it since none of us are crowd people. But those were our choices and you're in very different circumstances so there might be something more suitable for you.

Good luck with the decision. I guess the best thing to keep in mind is that supposedly any trip to Alaska will be amazing, so you can't go wrong and it'll be a question of degrees of greatness.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good advice, I will look into those numbers...

Ok, thanks. I am a little worried that I will make my decision based on GB and then it will be cancelled...anyone have any idea if wildlife viewing. Better on certain itineraries than others?

Glacier Bay is never cancelled. I've missed Hubbard once in 6 planned visits, because of thick ice that prevented approach.

Wildlife viewing is never good on a cruise - you need to go on excursions, and even then, the only animal you can plan on for sure is humpback whales (bears if you go later in the season when the salmon are spawning).

I know people like HAL particlarly for Alaska, but not sure why? Do they do something special or Alaska?

Every HAL cruise I have been on, has had superb Cpts, who truely base the sailing on passenger interests. They have excellent ship naturalists, and the ships I have been on, had superb open deck space, including opening the bow. They do have some smaller ships in the fleet. With the one ways, they dock in Seward which is a highlight.

June is more likely to have good weather and the days are very long giving you almost 24 hours daylight dawn to dusk. Glacier Bay is amazing and a national park which means the park rangers will come onboard for commentary. The kids will enjoy the kids club on HAL. Round trip Vancouver usually means scenic cruising between Vancouver Island and the mainland.

Book now and hope that prices go down before final payment or HAL may have a promo that you can move your booking to.

You really need two bathrooms for your group! Take Mom.

I would be more worried about Hubbard glacier being cancelled as GB is never cancelled. Hubbard glacier was cancelled on my first trip to Alaska. We got only within 9 miles. It was disappointing as that was our only glacier on the cruise. Since then, I almost always book a cruise with 2 glacier days.

Edited by Coral

Another bonus w/HAL is that they often offer third and fourth passengers per cabin free (or for a minimal fee) on their Alaska sailings. Check to see if they will be offering it on the HAL sailing you are looking at, the cost for you could go down considerably if one person per cabin were free.

I've been thinking about this for a few hours :) There is no way anyone can tell you which is "better", especially since you are not yet sure about your mom joining you. Given THAT (your mom may or may not come with you) I think you need to find the option that works in both scenarios -- with mom and without mom. Which choice gives you the most flexibility to add her or subtract her as needed?

I think you also need to consider that if you book her, and then need to cancel her space after final payment date there will be penalties.

We did the celebrity and HAL cruises. Both are very different cruise lines up there. HAL has great informational programs. Imho they are the best for a learning experience. Both are a much tamer experience as the alaska cruise is geared to older passengers. The weather will still be cool in June, but the longer days and fact that kids are out of school might make it better for your kids. We cruised with our adult kids (lower 20's) in late July and August and DW and I (50's) were on the very young average of ages on both cruises.

We LOVED the trips, but we were surprised in the differences of cruising up there vs carribean. Excursions are priced higher (US or canada wages and pricing vs island prices), with such an elderly crowd, the bars, and shows were much less active. It gets pretty quiet some evenings - lol.

Keep in mind that it will be light very early up there. We were up most days by 5:30am and always watched coming into ports. We spent more time on balcony's and on deck on these cruises than any other. On HAL we did breakfast or at least coffee, on balcony almost every morning searching for wildlife. We saw at least 40 whales during or HAL cruise from our balcony. Make sure you book a cabin that is sided by shore during the inland passage. Great for those times when others are changing or hanging out in the room.

Enjoy your trip and let us all know what you decide...

11 nights on a Celebrity Solstice Class ship...and with a balcony???!!! In my opinion, this one is a no-brainer.

Celebrity also has naturalists on board for these itineraries, and the bow heli-pad is opened for glacier viewing. The Lawn Club is also an excellent area for viewing, not to mention your BALCONY!!!!

Yes, Solstice is a larger ship but in my opinion, they are some of the most beautiful ships at sea. HAL has nothing to compare. Again, JMHO. :)

Another bonus w/HAL is that they often offer third and fourth passengers per cabin free (or for a minimal fee) on their Alaska sailings. Check to see if they will be offering it on the HAL sailing you are looking at, the cost for you could go down considerably if one person per cabin were free.

YES - they are doing that for THIS year, I hope they offer it next year before my final payment date - that would be a big incentive.

We did the celebrity and HAL cruises. Both are very different cruise lines up there. HAL has great informational programs. Imho they are the best for a learning experience. Both are a much tamer experience as the alaska cruise is geared to older passengers. The weather will still be cool in June, but the longer days and fact that kids are out of school might make it better for your kids. We cruised with our adult kids (lower 20's) in late July and August and DW and I (50's) were on the very young average of ages on both cruises.

We LOVED the trips, but we were surprised in the differences of cruising up there vs carribean. Excursions are priced higher (US or canada wages and pricing vs island prices), with such an elderly crowd, the bars, and shows were much less active. It gets pretty quiet some evenings - lol.

Keep in mind that it will be light very early up there. We were up most days by 5:30am and always watched coming into ports. We spent more time on balcony's and on deck on these cruises than any other. On HAL we did breakfast or at least coffee, on balcony almost every morning searching for wildlife. We saw at least 40 whales during or HAL cruise from our balcony. Make sure you book a cabin that is sided by shore during the inland passage. Great for those times when others are changing or hanging out in the room.

Enjoy your trip and let us all know what you decide...

Wow - I really want to see the whales. What month did you cruise? Of course, I don't have a balcony. The weird thing is, when I went to book online, there were no verandahs available. I ended up calling and when I booked she told me I was the first one to book - I called on opening day. I can't remember if I asked about verandahs. I may call them back and see what the diff in price is. If I had a veranda for not much more it might tip me in favor of HAL. I think they issue may have been how many people I had in the room - maybe they don't sleep 3?

I like the idea of the educational experiences and someone else posted they have park rangers from Glacier Bay come on.