New Chops Menu going fleet wide

RCI confirmed with me today that the new menu will be going fleet wide by the end of August. The baked potato will be on it :)

Here is a copy and paste from their email response:

"We are pleased to inform you that we do in fact have a new menu for Chops Grille that is currently available onboard the Freedom of the Seas and the Navigator of the Seas. This new menu will be available fleet wide by the end of August. As a courtesy, we have attached a copy of our new sample menu for you to view. Please note, the menu items are subject to change without notice. Additionally, we wish to assure you that we will still be offering a baked potato option for one of our many side items.

We sincerely apologize for any misinformation provided regarding our recent enhancement for this specialty dining experience. A review of our records shows that there is still a $35.00 per guest service fee to dine in the Chops Grille. The a la cart items listed on the menu are upgraded steak and lobster items available to our guests."

Here is the menu they provided.

tutasyta.jpg

myjezupu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just thought it was strange that a steakhouse would not have a baked potato as an option.

Just seemed weird to me. We have enjoyed Chops on Mariner before and were looking forward to going again on Navigator. Some of the complaints about the new menu and the lack of a baked potato made me decide NOT to go.

Now, however, we will likely try it again in three weeks. (Yeah, it also seems weird that a potato is the deciding factor....I get it.....but that just me and my DW!)

Bring me a baked potato with my steak please!!!!

I don't think RCI really understands what people are complaining about. They seem to have fixated on the baked potato and decided adding it back would fix the problem!:rolleyes: I have a copy of a newer new menu from my April cruise on the Navigator. There are still only two cuts of steak (Filet and NY Strip) on the menu...all they did was add a larger Filet and bring back the baked potato. Here's the entire list of entrees available without an additional charge...

Dry-Aged Prime Burger

Veal Chop parmesan

Fillet Mignon 9 oz.

Fillet Mignon 6 oz.

Grilled NY Strip Steak 12 oz.

Slow-Braised Short Rib of Beef

Roasted Organic Chicken

Grilled Branzino

Spicy Jumbo Shrimp

Snapper Veracruz

Everything Crusted Tuna

Combine the somewhat lackluster menu with the new décor (which I found very unappealing), and I predict Chops will struggle. IMO, $35.00 is steep if lobster and the better cuts of meat aren't included. If Chops is as empty across the fleet as it was on my Navigator cruise, where they were almost begging people to eat there, I predict it will end up replaced by something else in no time.:(

Edited by Cindy

That's sad. I wonder if the whole specialty restaurant experience is losing its appeal (more $$ for mediocre food/options). Another post mentioned on the Oasis all the restaurants being 20% every night last week and the staff also practically begging people to dine there.

Allure of the Seas - March 2011, March 2012, upcoming July 2014

Please please no new menu this saturday on the Allure, I hate the new menu and want to experience the old menu one last time before the new menu's come out. I no longer will be dining at chops after the Allure (we usually dine 5 evenings in specialty restaurants per week long cruise) so I guess the MDR will be our choice over chops when the new menu comes out.

I am glad that we have the opportunity to order from the original menu one more time. The baked potato is a must in any steakhouse, but I'd rather have more room for the appetizers.:D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

FWIW, Just off Indy last week and was shocked at the "first day's" menu. Im guessing it was a one-off situation, but as they were hyping Chops in the Windjammer, they were repeating that would not be serving steak that evening, but lobster instead. WTH??? Who goes to a steakhouse and doesn't expect to be served steak.

In addition, they had both baked potato and mashed on the menu.

So, wait, can anyone confirm that the new menu is already on Freedom? I've never been to Chops and was really looking forwards to the mushroom soup and oyster duet, among others :(

If the menu is the same one we had on the Navigator in April, neither of those are offered any more.

I think I'd rather just order the filet in the MDR than go to Chops (if that is still an option). I liked the mushroom soup, shrimp cocktail, steak, baked potato, green bean, dessert option. DH liked a t-bone steak, etc. No real reason to pay $35 for the steak. Have been there twice. Once for DH birthday and once for Ann. dinner. Ist experience was very good and second was so-so. We live in the Chicago area and can get a great steak dinner (of choice) at this price point at several places.

I can remember when the filet was part of the "free" MDR menu nightly. Seen a lot of changes over the years. Some good, some bad. New Chops menu falls into the bad change column.

I love that reply from RCCL - "don't worry, we've raised the price and reduced the quality of the menu selections, but you can still get a BAKED POTATO, so come on down!!!!!" Good grief.

The past few cruises we've done Chops twice on a 7 night cruise. Next time we'll probably give it a try once (for the filet) which might be the last. Not thrilled with the entree choices beyond the filet. They're seriously offering a BURGER for 35.00?!?!?!??! What moron thought up that as an option?? It seems ridiculous to be raising the price and essentially downgrading the menu selections:mad: On our last 2-3 cruises neither Chops or Portofino were very busy. Likely a trend to continue it would seem.......

The past few years we've done specialty dining 4 nights on 7 night cruises. Royal is likely to push us into more nights at MDR and Windjammer at this rate. I guess we'll save money.

Edited by bouhunter

I didn't miss the baked potato but I did miss the oyster duet, the bread and the parmesan potatoes. The new pretzel bread is awful! The new Caesar salad isn't at all appealing to me either since I don't like Caviar. I assume that could be ordered without it though.

I usually order the filet anyway so the steak choice wouldn't be a deal breaker. I don't like the new décor either. For $35 there should be a tablecloth. JMO

I don't think RCI really understands what people are complaining about. They seem to have fixated on the baked potato and decided adding it back would fix the problem!:rolleyes: I have a copy of a newer new menu from my April cruise on the Navigator. There are still only two cuts of steak (Filet and NY Strip) on the menu...all they did was add a larger Filet and bring back the baked potato. Here's the entire list of entrees available without an additional charge...

Dry-Aged Prime Burger

Veal Chop parmesan

Fillet Mignon 9 oz.

Fillet Mignon 6 oz.

Grilled NY Strip Steak 12 oz.

Slow-Braised Short Rib of Beef

Roasted Organic Chicken

Grilled Branzino

Spicy Jumbo Shrimp

Snapper Veracruz

Everything Crusted Tuna

Combine the somewhat lackluster menu with the new décor (which I found very unappealing), and I predict Chops will struggle. IMO, $35.00 is steep if lobster and the better cuts of meat aren't included. If Chops is as empty across the fleet as it was on my Navigator cruise, where they were almost begging people to eat there, I predict it will end up replaced by something else in no time.:(

I totally agree with everything you just said. It really is sad that Carnival, which is known for the "wal mart" of the cruse industry :rolleyes: serves a USDA Prime cut of beef for 35.00 while RCI charges you 35.00 PLUS makes you pay for a better cut of beef.

35.00 for a sirloin????? REALLY??????????

Edited by ryano

Does anyone know if Oasis will have new or old menu at the end of July?

DH and I do 2 "date nights" on our own, and now are booked for Chops and 150. Thoughts on switching to Giovanni's instead of Chops? I was hoping to get the porterhouse (even though I'd never even eat 1/2!!!) b/c I'm not a huge fan of the fillet. Does Giovanni's feel "special" for a date night--we'll be leaving kids with grandparents!!!

I love that reply from RCCL - "don't worry, we've raised the price and reduced the quality of the menu selections, but you can still get a BAKED POTATO, so come on down!!!!!" Good grief.

Exactly the way I read it too.

Does anyone know if Oasis will have new or old menu at the end of July?

DH and I do 2 "date nights" on our own, and now are booked for Chops and 150. Thoughts on switching to Giovanni's instead of Chops? I was hoping to get the porterhouse (even though I'd never even eat 1/2!!!) b/c I'm not a huge fan of the fillet. Does Giovanni's feel "special" for a date night--we'll be leaving kids with grandparents!!!

DH and I ate at Giovanni's on Oasis and we loved it. We loved the atmosphere and the walk to get there through Central Park - service and food were both excellent. I have heard mixed reviews about Giovanni's, but in our experience, it was somewhere we will definitely go again.

Can you order more than one entree here included in the $35 up charge? For example if I wanted a seafood dish and a steak would they do it? (I understand if I get lobster or the prime steaks they cost more)