Pacific Princess Alaska May 13-20 Preview/Review

Jim Avery

We are heading out for Vancouver to meet Pacific Princess on Tuesday. We are booked in 6088, an aft suite, which looks very nice on the website. We had such a nice time in a Vista Suite on Star last Fall that we booked this one using the great FCC perk. Looking forward to a bit of time in Vancouver as well. I have sailed through Vancouver a number of times when I used to run a ship up through here years ago but never made it ashore. By most all accounts, Vancouver is a great city to visit. I will do my best to notice what changes/improvements might have been made in the drydock ending on the 13th. Hopefully all the work will be completed and we will not be sharing our voyage with carpet installers, painters, etc. which I enjoyed one voyage on QE2. We are really looking forward to the smaller PP even though she will probably feel large as we were 2 of 105 passengers on SeaDream I in Costa Rica last December. I will check in from Vancouver and onboard as time and internet permits. I have not heard of any CC meet & greet yet but there are several of us on the roll call. So, off to the "Frozen North" (maybe) from soon to be triple digit Arizona.:eek::D

Looking forward to following your journey Jim. We are on the PP next May heading for Alaska.

If you think of any questions while I am on board next week, I will try to find out anything you need to know. Might go peek at your cabin.:eek::D Our first time on PP and are really looking forward to it.

We are heading out for Vancouver to meet Pacific Princess on Tuesday. We are booked in 6088, an aft suite, which looks very nice on the website. We had such a nice time in a Vista Suite on Star last Fall that we booked this one using the great FCC perk. Looking forward to a bit of time in Vancouver as well. I have sailed through Vancouver a number of times when I used to run a ship up through here years ago but never made it ashore. By most all accounts, Vancouver is a great city to visit. I will do my best to notice what changes/improvements might have been made in the drydock ending on the 13th. Hopefully all the work will be completed and we will not be sharing our voyage with carpet installers, painters, etc. which I enjoyed one voyage on QE2. We are really looking forward to the smaller PP even though she will probably feel large as we were 2 of 105 passengers on SeaDream I in Costa Rica last December. I will check in from Vancouver and onboard as time and internet permits. I have not heard of any CC meet & greet yet but there are several of us on the roll call. So, off to the "Frozen North" (maybe) from soon to be triple digit Arizona.:eek::D

I would say you are going to have perfect sailaway weather from Vancouver. Here is today's local forecast for the week. Tuesday looks pretty darn perfect to me.

10264678_10152366293202808_7572909861104703219_n.png

She is a beautiful little ship and we enjoyed sailing on her from Tahiti. When we were disembarking, all the new carpet was sitting waiting to be loaded. This ship, in my opinion, is a great ship to sail to Alaska because of all the windows. Enjoy your stay in Vancouver!

You are going to love the ship and your suite. While we have not been in that one, we have been in 7119, deck below you and on the starboard side. We will be there again in June, so it's exciting to hear from someone who is going to be on before us to check her out. I'll be watching for your posts while I start packing.

We are booked on the Pacific Princess (Southbound) for July, 2015. I am interested to hear your impressions of the cruise and the ship itself. We are in cabin 7046 for our trip. I am excited to be on a smaller ship. We are booked for the land/cruise trip. I am always interested in hearing travelers impressions. Enjoy you trip and I am looking forward to hearing from you!

In Vancouver preparing to head to the ship. Trip up was uneventful and on time. About as good as flying gets these days. We did end up sitting across the aisle from Mr & Mrs Iggledoer from Cruise Critic. Made the flight better. They invited us to join them for dinner and we met at Joe Fortes Restaurant. Very popular seafood joint and the halibut was great. More later!

A quick note on our hotel. We initially planned to get a room near Canada Place but could not justify the high rates we found for less than 24 hours. We chose the Marriott Residence Suites on Hornby Street and it proved to be a good choice. Decent rate for a spacious, modern, and very clean room with a useable kitchenette and all the other amenities you might need including a full breakfast. Plenty of restaurants, bars, shopping within walking distance. A very helpful and friendly staff. After a great nights sleep, we are a short cab ride away from the ship. Hope to be on board soon!

Hi Jim, Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Pacific Princess. We will be boarding next Tuesday. So excited to read your comments and hopefully see some interior pictures!!. Have been on her sister ship, the Azamara Journey but am a Princess loyalist. Live here in Vancouver and you have certainly lucked on the weather for sailaway. I will be watching from a beach near Lions Gate Bridge this afternoon. Could you confirm your sailaway time is 3:00 p.m local time. Thanks,Rhonda

Hi Jim!

Greetings from the Sea Dream Board!

Looking forward to hearing all about your Alaska cruise. We did Alaska on Regent a couple of years ago. But you got it started out right! Joe Fortes is my favorite Vancouver Restaurant. Probably been there a half dozen times over the years.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise!

A quick note on our hotel. We initially planned to get a room near Canada Place but could not justify the high rates we found for less than 24 hours. We chose the Marriott Residence Suites on Hornby Street and it proved to be a good choice. Decent rate for a spacious, modern, and very clean room with a useable kitchenette and all the other amenities you might need including a full breakfast. Plenty of restaurants, bars, shopping within walking distance. A very helpful and friendly staff. After a great nights sleep, we are a short cab ride away from the ship. Hope to be on board soon!

The webcam shows that you are on your way to Juneau. Any updates regarding the dry dock updates?

Finally in range of cell service. Ship internet is pricey and about as good as most ships (sloooowww). Thanks for the great picture. It was truly a perfect sail away day. You can see us on our balcony. Bottom aft suite on the port side. I am wearing a red shirt. Cocktails on the veranda! The suite is fabulous and I will go into more detail later. Most dry dock work seems to have been in the mechanical spaces as well as exterior paint. The ship looks clean and fresh. A few minor wear issues here and there but all is well so far. Crew is very good so far and the food is much above what we had on Star last Fall. Back on the weight gain program. Heading into Juneau and a float plane tour with salmon roast. To be continued.::D

Finally in range of cell service. Ship internet is pricey and about as good as most ships (sloooowww). Thanks for the great picture. It was truly a perfect sail away day. You can see us on our balcony. Bottom aft suite on the port side. I am wearing a red shirt. Cocktails on the veranda! The suite is fabulous and I will go into more detail later. Most dry dock work seems to have been in the mechanical spaces as well as exterior paint. The ship looks clean and fresh. A few minor wear issues here and there but all is well so far. Crew is very good so far and the food is much above what we had on Star last Fall. Back on the weight gain program. Heading into Juneau and a float plane tour with salmon roast. To be continued.::D

Thanks Jim

Have you noticed any updates to the cabins since the dry dock. Glad to hear that the ship looks clean and fresh.

Joe