Thinking about booking but don't understand "freestyle."

JimAOk1945

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading on the NCL board, but still don't quite understand the "freestyle" concept. I visited the NCL website but it isn't quite clear either.

We've cruised on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Princess and are looking to try something different.

Can someone please explain what "freestyle" means? Is it comparable to the cruise lines we have already experienced?

Thanks in advance!

I've only cruised Carnival and NCL, but "Freestyle" is a concept of letting you do what you want, when you want.

The dining rooms, specialty free, specialty extra cost and buffets are all open during dining hours - you don't have a set dining time or an assigned table or waiter. You choose where you want to eat and eat when you want to within the open hours.

Dress code is also very freestyle. Nice jeans and nicer than that clothes are acceptable everywhere. Each ship has two dining rooms. The aft dining room is slightly more formal, but the mid-ship dining room, most of the specialty (except Le Bistro and maybe Cagneys) and the buffet even allow nicer longer shorts, etc.

There is not a "formal" night, although there will be designated "dress up or not" nights where you can dress up if you want to. Of course, you can dress up any night that you want to.

There are no set dining times for your cabin. The dining room will still have hours like 5-10, but you won't have a set time like 6pm. You can have dinner anytime the dining room is open. There are also a few dining choices and several paid restaurants you can choose from too. same for lunch and breakfast.

It should be noted that Carnival and Royal have similar open dining programs, but where NCL is different (on some ships) is that they have multiple free sit down dining rooms.

On some Royal ships (Oasis class for example) all those with open dining are assigned the third floor of the main dining room since their serving times will be scattered around on a table by table basis.

Edited by JasonV1

It's like going to a restaurant at home. You show up when it's open, and you will be seated in the order you arrive.

Go at an off-peak time to eat, walk right in and be seated quickly. Show up during the dinner rush? Expect a 10 minute wait.

No set dining times. More casual dress. Decent menu selection. I would never go back from NCL. Never ever putting a jacket and tie on for dinner again. Kakis and a golf shirt and you are more than dressed for dinner.

You will love it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This information is great!

Another question. Would we have any trouble getting a table for two in the complimentary dining room?

Thanks again!

No problem. The hostess will ask if you would like a table just for yourselves or if you would like to share a table... totally your choice, but we opt to share most of the time. ;)

This information is great!

Another question. Would we have any trouble getting a table for two in the complimentary dining room?

Thanks again!

No, NCL will seat you with your party, unless you are requesting to share with others. It is actually more difficult to be seated with others. ;) Tables for 2 are plentiful (they might be close to the table next door) or else if those aren't available you'll be at a four top with just the two of you.

No problem. The hostess will ask if you would like a table just for yourselves or if you would like to share a table... totally your choice, but we opt to share most of the time. ;)

I've never once been asked if I wanted to share a table. Maybe it's just me. :D

One thing not mentioned is aroubd the ship are tv like screens that publish the approx wait times for the various dining areas so if you are dining at peak times you will have an idea and choice. We could dine around whatever show or activity and often had tables for 2 or larger with the rest of our party. Only reservations we made were for 20 at the Italian specialty restaurant one night.

Sent from my GT-I5500M using Forums mobile app

NCL freestyle is great. You can eat any time you want and don't have to dress up. RCC has an any time dining. Meaning you can eat any time you want but have to make a reservation. We could never get the time we wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never once been asked if I wanted to share a table. Maybe it's just me. :D

Nope, not just you. The only time I've ever been asked if I want to share was when I went to the MDR for lunch by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCL introduced freestyle. Of course many other lines saw it's success and have introduced similar programs. But NCL does it best IMHO.

The trouble with the other cruise lines' programs is they limit it to a certain percentage of passengers and once that percentage is reached then everyone else is assigned to traditional dining.

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading on the NCL board, but still don't quite understand the "freestyle" concept. I visited the NCL website but it isn't quite clear either.

We've cruised on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Princess and are looking to try something different.

Can someone please explain what "freestyle" means? Is it comparable to the cruise lines we have already experienced?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't read the other responses so I might be repeating what has been said, but here is my definition of Freestyle: primarily it is, eat where and when you want. There is no assigned seating, unlike other lines where you have a choice of open seating or assigned seating. NCL has totally freestyle dress as well. There are no formal night or optional formal nights. There are a couple of night, some will choose to dress a little more formal, mainly for picture taking, but you will not see anyone is a tux, and just a handful in suits and after 5 dresses. It is just much more casual. On our last princess cruise we choose to go casual. We felt out of place on formal nights even in the buffet. This is not the case on NCL.

We have been on about 5 NCL cruises and the past one (a TA) was the first one where sharing a table was standard and there was a sign upon entering encouraging the practice. I found it works great unless the party is very limited in their English language skills. Those folks were the few who sat by themselves. I met many fascinating people by sharing a table.

There is no formal night and even dress or not night is pretty dress down. From now on, I would not have my husband even bring a jacket nor would I bring even a cocktail dress. The airline regulations make packing light an issue.

The trouble with the other cruise lines' programs is they limit it to a certain percentage of passengers and once that percentage is reached then everyone else is assigned to traditional dining.

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Other than the lack of dedicated dining times, I have noticed no difference between NCL's "Freestyle" cruising compared to cruising Carnival.

Once you try freestyle it's hard to go traditional again. We love it. If your having a great day by the pool , you don't have to leave to get ready for dinner. It's when you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, that depends on each person. Personally, I prefer a traditional set time with having the same table and wait team every evening. They get to know my likes and dislikes. On NCL, you will have a different table and wait team every evening so they don't get to know you and you don't get to know them. On my last Carnival cruise, by the 3rd night, they didn't even bring my son a menu anymore, they just brought him his 2 Caesar Salads, 2 steaks, and glass of orange soda. He was a happy camper!!! Even with Freestyle on NCL, we found ourselves eating at the same time every night anyway, just as if we had early seating on the traditional cruise lines.

Previous posters have covered the main aspect of freestyle, which is the eat where and when you want. The dress code is also more relaxed, however you will find a few of us who like to dress up for dinner and will go formal on the dress up nights. This is by our choice and we have had many great evenings with others who dressed more casually.

What you have not been told is that freestyle is actually a state of mind on NCL. Having cruised with almost all of the major lines (except Carnival-not going there), NCL offers more activities during the cruise. Unlike Celebrity which has a smattering of activities, you will have a large choice of things to do, or not. freestyle is all about doing what you want when you want and creating your own vacation. If you prefer structured times to eat and structured activities, then you may not like the freedom and casual atmosphere on NCL.

The other thing we have noticed on NCL versus other lines is that NCL has large common areas that they use for activities. Don't get me wrong, there are quiet areas, but the majority of the ship is geared toward activity/dining/bar areas.

Previous posters have covered the main aspect of freestyle, which is the eat where and when you want. The dress code is also more relaxed, however you will find a few of us who like to dress up for dinner and will go formal on the dress up nights. This is by our choice and we have had many great evenings with others who dressed more casually.

What you have not been told is that freestyle is actually a state of mind on NCL. Having cruised with almost all of the major lines (except Carnival-not going there), NCL offers more activities during the cruise. Unlike Celebrity which has a smattering of activities, you will have a large choice of things to do, or not. freestyle is all about doing what you want when you want and creating your own vacation. If you prefer structured times to eat and structured activities, then you may not like the freedom and casual atmosphere on NCL.

The other thing we have noticed on NCL versus other lines is that NCL has large common areas that they use for activities. Don't get me wrong, there are quiet areas, but the majority of the ship is geared toward activity/dining/bar areas.

I find it interesting that you claim to have sailed with "almost all of the major cruise lines (except Carnival)" and yet your tag line shows no reference to HAL, Princess, Disney, MSC, Costa, Aida, etc....??? I can state, unequivocally, having sailed both CCl and NCL that sailing CCL is no different than sailing NCL (with the previously stated no dedicated dining times on NCL). Dress code between NCL and CCL is almost exactly the same so I'm not sure where the hang up on dress code is coming from??? :confused:

Edited by Out to sea!