Just cooked Red Ginger recipes..

DaisyUK

I did a couple of cookery classes on our recent cruise, and thought I would cook some of the dishes last night. Oh my goodness, those recipes are fantastic. I made duck and watermelon salad to start, followed by chilean seabass with a miso glaze, followed by tarte tatin (which I know doesn't really 'go' with the asian theme, but I also did a French bistro class and we have so many apples on our trees at the moment I thought I'd do it anyway). Though I say so myself, everything was fantastic. It took us right back to the Riviera... I recommend the cookery school for anyone thinking about it.

I did a couple of cookery classes on our recent cruise, and thought I would cook some of the dishes last night. Oh my goodness, those recipes are fantastic. I made duck and watermelon salad to start, followed by chilean seabass with a miso glaze, followed by tarte tatin (which I know doesn't really 'go' with the asian theme, but I also did a French bistro class and we have so many apples on our trees at the moment I thought I'd do it anyway). Though I say so myself, everything was fantastic. It took us right back to the Riviera... I recommend the cookery school for anyone thinking about it.

The first thing we 'cooked' when we came home was the duck and watermelon salad....delicious!

You may not know it but the world wide demand for Chilean Sea Bass has resulted it gross over fishing and the collapse of the species in total....

Most restaurants chefs are no longer serving it here in the USA because it is not good for the fish or the ocean.

Please cook to you hearts content but try to use another non threatened species..... Thanks for listening

OK..now can you share the recipe..PLEASE !!!

Jancruz1

Will do.....my husband has put it in a safe place.....he's just gone to find it:eek:

How will we transmit it to you?:confused:

He's found it...I'm impressed!

It's a full page of ingredients and instructions.

Edited by turnip eater

You may not know it but the world wide demand for Chilean Sea Bass has resulted it gross over fishing and the collapse of the species in total....

Most restaurants chefs are no longer serving it here in the USA because it is not good for the fish or the ocean.

Please cook to you hearts content but try to use another non threatened species..... Thanks for listening

Actually we cannot buy Chilean sea bass in the UK, so I cooked it with black cod, otherwise known as sablefish, which is the nearest equivalent (and we couldn't taste the difference). This comes from Alaska and Canada and is sustainably fished.

Will do.....my husband has put it in a safe place.....he's just gone to find it:eek:

How will we transmit it to you?:confused:

He's found it...I'm impressed!

Im impressed also , Stu would take at least an hour to find it..Sorry, I cant post my email against the rules..can you put the recipe here on the board??

Jancruz1

Im impressed also , Stu would take at least an hour to find it..Sorry, I cant post my email against the rules..can you put the recipe here on the board??

Jancruz1

OK, I'll try......will probably type in 2/3 parts...just off to flex my fingers:D

BTW you won't get the piccies.

Watermelon and Duck Confit Salad - serves 6

Sweet fish sauce.

3/4 cup palm sugar coarsely chopped.

1/4 cup water.

One half large Shallot coarsely chopped

one lemongrass stalk bulb proportion only coarsely chopped.

One kaffir lime leaf

1/2 piece galangal, peeled and coarsley chopped

1 to 2 tablespoon Fish sauce

1 to 2 tablespoons Tamarind concentrate.

Duck and watermelon salad.

Canola oil for frying

half a cup of raw cashew nuts

Kosher salt

Six confit duck legs.

2 to 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce

6 cups 1 inch cubes seedless watermelon.

Half a cup of Thai basil or sweet basil leaves.

Half a cup of mint leaves

half a cup of cilantro leaves

Third of a cup of thinly sliced Shallot

For the sauce.

In a medium saucepan combine the palm sugar and water place over medium heat and heat stirring occasionally until the sugar is melted about five minutes.

Remove from the heat stir in the Shallotte lemongrass lime leaf and galangal. Let sit at room temperature to cool and infuse the flavours for at least one hour or preferably overnight.

strain the liquid through fine mesh strainer into a small bowl. discarder the solids and add 1 tablespoon each of the fish sauce and Tamarind mixing well. taste and adjust seasoning with additional fish sauce and tamarind if needed. set the source aside at room temperature.

For the salad

Pour 4 inches of canola oil into a large deep saucepan and heat to 325°F on a deep frying thermometer. Line a small plate with paper towels for draining the cashews and Line a large plate for draining the duck.

Add the cashews to the hot oil and fry about 1 minute until crisp. using a slotted spoon transfer to the towel lined plate. sprinkle with salt while hot. increase the temperature of the oil to 350°F. Add two duck eggs to the hot oil and fry turning to brown on all sides until crisp 4 to 5 minutes using tongs. transfer to the Towel lined plate to drain. repeat with the remaining duck legs into two batches.

when the duck legs are cool enough to handle peel off the skins from each leg in as larger piece as possible. cut the skin into strips and set-aside. bone the legs and shred the meat into a bowl. season to taste with the hoisin sauce.

in a separate bowl combine the watermelon basil mint and cilantro. add the duck meat, duck skin, cashews and Shallot. toss with enough of the sweet fish sauce to coat lightly. you may not need all of the sauce.

To serve divide the salad amongst the individual serving plates or martini glasses

Edited by turnip eater

The miso sea bass is a STAPLE in our home.... I probably cook it once a week.... We also use black cod - sea bass is sooooo expensive here for little difference in flavor and texture. Have 5 classes booked on our next Marina cruise from SYD to AUK. We just love that ship...

OK, I'll try......will probably type in 2/3 parts...just off to flex my fingers:D

BTW you won't get the piccies.

Why not just scan it as a JPG then it will save your fingers ;)