Britannia --- Are you ready for the moaners

topbaz

It appears from another site there was a lot of moaners on britannia's maiden i wonder if thats the same people who moaned about ventura saying it was to big and the worst p&o ship when it first sailed ? Having sailed on ventura 3 times, and arcadia once, we love the larger ship and can't wait to get onboard britannia in august

I remember back in the day when we had the arrival of the two white sisters Oceana and Adonia there was huge negativity from the P&O diehards, because they wre ex Princess ships.

The same applied to Ventura and Azura so I'm not surprised in the least it's the turn of Britannia.

Hopefully I wont have the moaners on my Britannia July cruise, and if I do I'll politely tell 'em a few facts.

I'm on board in May and I'll make up my own mind.

There are some people who will always moan but if you go on holiday looking for faults you will find them, me I just enjoy meeting people, exploring new places and generally having fun, so negative people stay away!

We have friends on the maiden cruise so will be interested to see what they have to say.

You are right, there were a lot of moaners on board the maiden cruise. We have got back today and generally enjoyed the experience but it is different than the other P&O ships, more contemporary decor etc and there were a lot of older passengers who have cruised on many of the older ships and were comparing Britannia with ships like Oriana and Oceana.

There is (in my opinion) not really much to moan about other than I thought that the theatre is inadequate for the number of passengers, even when there are 3 shows 7pm, 8:30pm and 10:30pm you have to get there very early to get a seat.

Generally speaking, accept it is new and different and it is OK.

You are right, there were a lot of moaners on board the maiden cruise. We have got back today and generally enjoyed the experience but it is different than the other P&O ships, more contemporary decor etc and there were a lot of older passengers who have cruised on many of the older ships and were comparing Britannia with ships like Oriana and Oceana.

There is (in my opinion) not really much to moan about other than I thought that the theatre is inadequate for the number of passengers, even when there are 3 shows 7pm, 8:30pm and 10:30pm you have to get there very early to get a seat.

Generally speaking, accept it is new and different and it is OK.

I agree with you Josy. There were a number of moaners onboard but most people we met were generally happy with Britannia. She is a beautiful ship, designed not to feel as though she is as big as she really is. I think some procedures need to be addressed but not everything is going to be right on her first cruise. However, the lack of a mid ships staircase puts too much pressure on the lifts (which are too small anyway) which makes movement between decks difficult at times. We were led to believe that this would be addressed when the first opportunity arises. Although we did not have very rough seas to cope with, she dealt well with moderate seas. All in all, a great addition to the fleet.

Just out of interest I went to the review page of this site and there are only 4 reviews up so far - all for the 2 night pre-maiden cruise. The average score was 4/5 stars though so these people weren't moaning! Although I'm not sure who gets on these pre-maidens - are they P&O ex staff or something?

My first P&O cruise was in the 1990s on their new ship Oriana. She was the first modern ship I had sailed on, having previously sailed on older vessels, and I thought that she was marvellous. Not so the P&O diehards on board. She was, I was told, too big. She did not have a proper ballroom ..... She was, all in all, "not like the Canberra." Funny how, 30 years later, new ships are criticised as being "not like the Oriana."

Having done every maiden cruise since Aurora found a lot less moaners on Britannia than on any other previous maidens. The only very rare complaints I heard were about the lifts (midships) and lack of stairs and the very rare opinion where people said they were enjoying the cruise but think that they wouldnt go on her again because it was too big for them.

I like these moans :D

The Crows Nest is too small and full of people sleeping with a glass of water in front of them - oh hum! the CN is the waiting for god lounge then.

the Crystal Room is the dance venue, no sprung floor though and the caulking is already coming out of the boards!. The little step around the floor has caused 8 falls one resulting in a broken arm. The wheel chair ramp at one end leads to two steps at the other - doh! - This one is worth watching.

The theatre is too small and the seats too narrow (architect designed) - this may be a genuine concern.

Not enough lifts - obviously

No central stairs - why??

You can't eat in the Glasshouse because it is full of people drinking - well it is a bar and possibly there is nowhere else for them to drink.

No promenade desk - obviously.

the shaver sockets are for european shavers - P&O must have run out of B&Q vouchers.

I am trying a 7 nighter in May and will have the opportunity to make my own mind up, meanwhile enjoy the entertainment, if you can get in ;)

Edited by davecttr