Grand Princess July 11th Quick Review

Max Circus

Just off this sailing and waiting in Vancouver airport for our flight home. Had a wonderful cruise and saw some amazing things especially Hubbard Glacier. Having read many of the reviews leading up to our sailing about "leaks and buckets" I was a bit nervous what we'd find onboard. The ship is in good shape. I didn't see any buckets. [emoji6] On the last sea day there was some strange seepage on Deck 14 in between the wooden floor planks. And we saw one drip in the Wheelhouse Bar. Other than the normal wear and tear of a ship this old, the condition is pretty good. The ship has some quirks so as the staircase to nowhere. Deck 7 quickly becomes your friend since you need to use it to get to any of the aft dining rooms on deck 6.

If anyone has specific questions please post them. We were in C307 Balcony Deck 10. Comfortable room with an adequate steward. Had late dining with a great waitstaff. Food was very good to amazing. I think it was Wednesday nights menu that had the best selection I had ever seen. Delicious sweet king crab legs and a seafood stew that was so tasty!! Didn't dine in speciality restaurants but had friend's that went to Crown Grill twice and said it was excellent. They also had pub lunch on sea days as well as different specials each day at the deck 14 grill (one day it was reindeer chili and another crab cakes).

We would definitely sail this ship again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi, I've read recommendations about bringing a power strip, and different posts say that outlets are 2 prong vs 3 prong. On the Grand Princess, were the outlets 2 or 3 prong?

Is bottled water available on the ship, and do you have to pay?

Also, in port, how were the mosquitoes?

Thanks!

Hi, I've read recommendations about bringing a power strip, and different posts say that outlets are 2 prong vs 3 prong. On the Grand Princess, were the outlets 2 or 3 prong?

Thanks!

Outlets are 3 prong except for the shaver outlet in the bathroom which is 2 prong.

Bottled water is available for a fee. 1/2 liter is $2.00 + 15% gratuity.

Were there any LIVE Rock & Roll bands aboard?

Yes. Mosaic was a great five piece party band that played mostly in Explorer's Club. Also Prestige played in Wheelhouse and mostly was dance music for waltzes, tango and change change. Plenty of live music around the ship!!

Thanks!

3 prong next to the desk. I tried using the one in the bathroom to charge my phone and it discharged it. Not sure why but I never used it again.

There were mosquitos in port. Very large ones - but slow ones. We used bug spray a couple of times.

Which two nights are the formal nights? We sail on the Grand in one week. I am guessing first formal is Sunday. Not sure when the second one is.

Thanks!

Leanna TX

Sunday (sea day) and Wednesday (Juneau) were the formal nights on our southern inside passage cruise.

The Grand just sailed by in front of the house about an hour ago. It a lovely still evening on Georgia Strait and the golden glistening off her white hull and superstructure made her look beautiful .... but I think she was missing you.:)

Thanks for you review. We haven't sailed on the Grand but will be sailing her to Hawaii next spring. I do have a question about the central staircase as our cabin is midship. I see on the deck plans that it goes from from plaza to lido but I have read other reviews saying the otherwise ( similar to the Royal/Regal configuration). Any comments you could provide would be most helpful.

49er

Thanks for you review. We haven't sailed on the Grand but will be sailing her to Hawaii next spring. I do have a question about the central staircase as our cabin is midship. I see on the deck plans that it goes from from plaza to lido but I have read other reviews saying the otherwise ( similar to the Royal/Regal configuration). Any comments you could provide would be most helpful.

49er

Glad to help. The deck plan is misleading. The entire staircase does actually go to Lido. The misleading part is that it is only available to crew. So as a guest you will reach a dead end and see a door that says "crew only". Deck 7 will be your friend. If you need to get to Lido deck from any lower deck you will need to walk across Deck 7 and either take the aft stairs or elevators.

Thanks for your quick reply. That does clarify it for us. Same as the Royal and pretty lame IMO:rolleyes:

49er

It was frustrating at first but then you quickly get used to it. We were in a cabin on deck 10 forward and realized that you could also talk through that hallway all the way aft and then take the stairs or elevator.

Deck 7 will be your friend. If you need to get to Lido deck from any lower deck you will need to walk across Deck 7 and either take the aft stairs or elevators.

To get to the Lido deck from any lower deck, just take the nearest elevator including the center elevators.

• 4 weeks later...