Scenic Gem Awesome ship, crew and food

muly

Posting a review here for the Scenic Gem River Seine cruise as the ship is not yet listed as an option on Cruise Critic reviews. Best river cruise ever. The ship is appointed nicely with extras that make a difference, like soft closing drawers, plenty of mirrors, blinds that open from top or bottom or both, etc. As a small ship, there was plenty of public space, cabins were the largest we have seen on a river, a gym, beauty shop and masseuse provided big ship amenities. All inclusive really is. So relaxing to not think about tipping, bar bill, which excursion to take, or transfers. The food was probably the best on any cruise ship we have sailed, crew was fabulous. Loved the atmosphere, freedom, and butler service. This is our new favorite river cruise line.

Muly

Posting a review here for the Scenic Gem River Seine cruise as the ship is not yet listed as an option on Cruise Critic reviews. Best river cruise ever. The ship is appointed nicely with extras that make a difference, like soft closing drawers, plenty of mirrors, blinds that open from top or bottom or both, etc. As a small ship, there was plenty of public space, cabins were the largest we have seen on a river, a gym, beauty shop and masseuse provided big ship amenities. All inclusive really is. So relaxing to not think about tipping, bar bill, which excursion to take, or transfers. The food was probably the best on any cruise ship we have sailed, crew was fabulous. Loved the atmosphere, freedom, and butler service. This is our new favorite river cruise line.

Muly

Thanks for posting! Can you share what other lines you have sailed with? Comparisons really help me.

I too just got off the Scenic Gem last Friday - perhaps we were on the same cruise! Have to fully agree with Muly, the Gem was a lovely ship. This was my second Scenic cruise and it didn't disappoint. Benjamin the Cruise Director was fabulous, the entire crew was wonderful - they couldn't do enough for you. We did sail from Paris to Normandy and while the weather could have been better on a couple of days, we only got rained on twice.

I would not hesitate to recommend Scenic to anyone looking for a totally all inclusive river cruise.

We did the Paris-Normandy loop and enjoyed the fellow passengers as well as the wonderful crew. It was nice to have a mix of Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians, Brits, and Americans. An all around great experience.

I recommend taking advantage of the classical concert. The violin virtuoso was spectacular. I am a musician and I was impressed with his perfection.

As we get older we enjoy more pampering. While Viking is a nice river cruise, we would compare Scenic to the service and quality of Regent Seven Seas ocean cruises. In other words, the best experience. While no one on board consumed in excess, having wine or cocktails, tea or espresso anywhere at anytime gave us the freedom to relax and enjoy on our own schedule.

Scenic rivers and Regent ocean are the only completely inclusive lines we have found. Love it!

As we get older we enjoy more pampering. While Viking is a nice river cruise, we would compare Scenic to the service and quality of Regent Seven Seas ocean cruises. In other words, the best experience.

Scenic rivers and Regent ocean are the only completely inclusive lines we have found. Love it!

I imagine that Scenic was a huge step up from Viking.

And RSS is a great line, so thanks for that comparison.

<While no one on board consumed in excess, having wine or cocktails, tea or espresso anywhere at anytime gave us the freedom to relax and enjoy on our own schedule. >

This I do not really understand. Having to pay for cocktails or wine has never influenced our ability to thoroughly relax and enjoy ourselves on a cruise. And coffee, tea, espresso has been complimentary on all the lines we have cruise with so far.

This I do not really understand. Having to pay for cocktails or wine has never influenced our ability to thoroughly relax and enjoy ourselves on a cruise. And coffee, tea, espresso has been complimentary on all the lines we have cruise with so far.

It is a subtle thing, but we've noticed the same feeling when we cruise with Regent, it isn't so much about the payment for the drinks, it is the interactions that go along with it.

On Regent we order our cocktails and they arrive, that is it.

Anywhere that payment is involved you will inevitably end up having to sign a receipt or similar and while it is only a minor task, it does somehow get in the way of the simple enjoyment of just having to order and do nothing else...

Edited by Mark_T

It is a subtle thing, but we've noticed the same feeling when we cruise with Regent, it isn't so much about the payment for the drinks, it is the interactions that go along with it.

On Regent we order our cocktails and they arrive, that is it.

Anywhere that payment is involved you will inevitably end up having to sign a receipt or similar and while it is only a minor task, it does somehow get in the way of the simple enjoyment of just having to order and do nothing else...

Ok, I understand how that would be important to some. For us, having done both, it was a non-issue.

We have not sailed Regent since they went all inclusive as we prefer not to pay for things we do not use or care about. Oceania is a better fit for us, based on our travel style.

Ok, I understand how that would be important to some. For us, having done both, it was a non-issue.

Using the word 'important' gives it more strength than it deserves, it is a small subtle element in the experience that just adds to the relaxation.

Can't say that I'd consciously make a decision based on the presence or absence of this element, but I appreciate it when it is there :)

One person I spoke to on my recent Scenic Opal cruise admitted that having liquor and wine included was a big part of choosing Scenic for them. His wife was a wine lover and, at one meal, tasted several wines before choosing one.

His bar tab on their last ocean cruise was $500 so Scenic's all inclusive policy was nice.

I liked having all the tours included and the ones offered on the Budapest-Nuremberg route appealed to me. Cesky Krumlov was on my bucket list and the Scenic tour there was top notch.

It was wonderful to walk off the ship never having signed for a thing and not having to settle a bill. While tipping is included, we did give our cabin steward a tip since she was especially hard working.

Thank you for your review. We have a Scenic cruise booked for next June and the couple we are cruising with are Regent cruisers so glad to hear that they will be happy. Hubby and I are Princess, Holland America and Royal Caribbean cruisers so I imagine we will be thrilled!! ;)

Totally agree we did the first Scenic Gem cruise last year I did a review I think on the All Scenic thread because there was no way of putting it on the review section I requested Gem to be added was told it would take a few months but still not added a year later. The only think I really missed was docking in Honfleur, what was it like? We had a different cruise director, not the best we have had on Scenic but the cruise overall was superb and really think I would do it again to cruise the estuary and dock in Honfluer. CA

Docking in Honfleur was quite exciting - entered the mouth of the harbour, then turned and backed through a very narrow opening to get to where we docked. Captain Max did a great job and to make it even better, it was a gloriously beautiful sunny day.

Docking in Honfleur was quite exciting - entered the mouth of the harbour, then turned and backed through a very narrow opening to get to where we docked. Captain Max did a great job and to make it even better, it was a gloriously beautiful sunny day.

Having recently been to Honfleur (on land), where did you dock? In Vieux Bassin? Near fish market? Near lighthouse? Near ferris wheel?

Hi - I am thinking of booking this cruise in Sept. 2016. My husband is eager to see the Normandy Beaches. I was wondering how you liked this excursion - did it go to the American Beaches? Thanks.

We did go on this excursion, Canadians were taken to Juno beach while the US citizens onboard were taken to Omaha. In the morning we all went to the D-Day museum at Arromanches, followed by lunch and then went our separate ways. The one problem that we all agreed on was that lunch was so long we didn't get enough time at the actual beaches and cemeteries. Everyone commented on this on our comment cards at the end of the cruise and it is an issue that they get complaints on every cruise. Hopefully Scenic will make changes next year to allow more time in the afternoon for visiting the beaches.

Muly

Thanks for the posting. I received my Scenic brochure in the mail today. This will be our first river cruise. Having done several sea cruises with Regent, Oceania and Silversea, we're looking forward to a new adventure. We are also considering Viking River Cruises - how do they (Scenic and Viking) compare?

Thanks for the posting. I received my Scenic brochure in the mail today. This will be our first river cruise. Having done several sea cruises with Regent, Oceania and Silversea, we're looking forward to a new adventure. We are also considering Viking River Cruises - how do they (Scenic and Viking) compare?

Welcome to the River Cruising forum!

I suggest you start by reading the sticky New to RIVER CRUISING??? at the top of this forum, especially the downloadable pdf:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

which discusses each cruise line and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotels [this will give you a frame of reference]. The range among river cruise lines that market in the US is fairly small -- but there are differences from the bottom to the top, and the prices don't vary as much as it first appears because the more expensive lines include more things that cost extra on the "cheaper" lines.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

CAREFULLY read the brochures and the fine print to compare the two. Tipping is fully included on Scenic; no tipping is expected by the ship's crew or the guides or drivers on land based tours.

On Scenic all liquor, beer and wine is included at all times. You can have champagne at breakfast, cocktails on the upper deck, choose from a selection of wines at dinner, almost anything you would want. Only a few ultra premium brands are extra. (One fellow Scenic passenger told me that they chose Scenic because of this feature. His bar tab on his last ocean cruise had been $500.)

On Scenic there are no optional tours. All tours are included and there is a choice at most ports. One reason that I chose Scenic was because of the included tour to Cesky Krumlov. Very good guide, included walking tour and included lunch.

Also consider the ship you will be on. The Scenic Opal was brand new with very modern décor.

You really have to decide what is important to you and then make your choice.

Having been on 12 river cruises, with al l the main companies, I also agree that is Scenic(Gem) in particular is top of the line. No comparison to Viking,sorry, in any category. Like Royal Carribean to Seabourn, for instance.

I ,also, could not post under member reviews since that ship not listed.We did this same Paris to Normandy cruise in June.

Only complaint ,for me, was food was almost too fancy.Weird, I know, but ended up getting choices off everyday menu on some occasions. Also, felt too many buffets for dinner, picky right?

My DH enjoyed the battle field tours more than I did,but Had plenty of other tours I liked. Also, loved the concert, violinist brought tears to my eyes.Even liked the bus ride to chateux because area so pretty,many DID complain at the time tho.

So, Scenic ,is number 1 for me.Next is AMA.But,remember ALL ships in every line can be VERY different.So much on staff, ship design,etc.:)

The Normandy beaches are a must see, in order to understand the sacrifices that have been made for freedom. Scenic graciously splits the tours for Canadians, Americans and Aussies to visit Juno, Gold, and Omaha beaches. They also visit the American cemetery and the museum which has an excellent film of the Mulberry installation, off loading vehicles, and destruction from the storm.

Also, felt too many buffets for dinner, picky right?

.:)

That is SO surprising to me and I have read that before. I dislike buffet dining and that is an aspect of Scenic that does not appeal, at all. I don't care if the quality is excellent, I want to be served. For a luxury line, I find this aspect of their product very disappointing.

Edited by caviargal

muly,

We cruised Amsterdam-Budapest last month on the Scenic Jewel and Crystal (ship change required by low Danube water). We share your high opinion of Scenic. From your post, it appears that the Gem is a new ship. We had a junior Suite on the Jewel and Crystal, and there were a few minor improvements needed in the suite. First, there were scarcely any drawers at all! Second, the sliding closet doors had to be pulled out and opened in front of the door next to it to open, which was a bit of a pain. We are considering exactly the same cruise you took in 2016, and are wondering if the Gem has eliminated these issues. And we lean strongly toward Scenic again. As you know, river cruising isn't cheap (I bought a new Cadillac in 1998 for less)! So we rather tend to take something we know and like, rather than an unknown.