Scenic Gem Awesome ship, crew and food

muly

That is SO surprising to me and I have read that before. I dislike buffet dining and that is an aspect of Scenic that does not appeal, at all. I don't care if the quality is excellent, I want to be served. For a luxury line, I find this aspect of their product very disappointing.

I agree...buffet is fine for b-fast, in fact I prefer it, and a salad bar at lunch is fine, but I want dinner to be served. Food doesn't have to be 5* fancy, just 5* good. I've done 8 trips with Vantage and I consider them high-end, but not luxury, and dinner is NEVER buffet style. I would find that very disappointing as well.

On our two week Scenic cruise, we had sit-down dinner the majority of the time. The exceptions were an outside bar-b-que, a couple of "specialty nights" and nights where off- ship dining was provided on tours (but wait, they were sit-down too), At breakfast, we were given the option to sit down and order off the menu.

On most cruises, we generally prefer all sit-down meals too. But Scenic cruises are so fast-paced, it would be difficult to make all the included tours we wanted to take with all sit-down dining.

As for meals and food on Scenic, it must be remembered that it is an Australian line, and on many sailings the majority of guests are Aussies. The food preferred by Aussies is just a little different than preferences in the US. Aussies like more lamb, duck, and I think more sea food than those from the US. But good old American food can also be ordered, if not on the buffet or main menu. We've known a lot of Aussies in our lives, and are very positive toward them. We feel that they are just like Coloradans from our native state, except they live elsewhere.

That is SO surprising to me and I have read that before. I dislike buffet dining and that is an aspect of Scenic that does not appeal, at all. I don't care if the quality is excellent, I want to be served. For a luxury line, I find this aspect of their product very disappointing.

I am considering doing the Douro on the new Scenic Azure. I would not like buffet dinners. My husband hates buffets, but is ok with breakfast and lunch, if there is also a menu choice as there is on AMA/APT .

I have heard Scenic does have a buffet on the first night. Why? Other lines do not. It does not give a good vibe for the start of the tour. I have also heard that they have a buffet on the last night. I hope this is not true. Disappointing to finish trip on this note. What are the specialty buffets on other nights people have mentioned.??

Edited by harbourside

Although Scenic does have buffet breakfast and lunch dinners are silver service 99% of the time but you do realise that it is possible to have a cooked choice served at breakfast and lunch. There is a rumour that buffet lunch may return to served lunch as it was about 5 years ago.

Much as I hate to say it well done Australia great play at the World Cup don't let Wales sneak by you, my money's on you for the Cup.

CA

Although Scenic does have buffet breakfast and lunch dinners are silver service 99% of the time but you do realise that it is possible to have a cooked choice served at breakfast and lunch. There is a rumour that buffet lunch may return to served lunch as it was about 5 years ago.

Much as I hate to say it well done Australia great play at the World Cup don't let Wales sneak by you, my money's on you for the Cup.

CA

What about New Zealand. Is it going to be a New Zealand and Australian final. Love to be on a cruise featuring Aussie and New Zealanders watching that final??? (or maybe I wouldn't). Just as well it is all inclusive drinks.

On a 7 night cruise (which is the longest we will do) if the first and last are buffet, then 70% are served dinners. I do not think that is in keeping with a luxury experience. JMO.

On our two week Scenic cruise, we had sit-down dinner the majority of the time. The exceptions were an outside bar-b-que, a couple of "specialty nights" and nights where off- ship dining was provided on tours (but wait, they were sit-down too), At breakfast, we were given the option to sit down and order off the menu.

On most cruises, we generally prefer all sit-down meals too. But Scenic cruises are so fast-paced, it would be difficult to make all the included tours we wanted to take with all sit-down dining.

As for meals and food on Scenic, it must be remembered that it is an Australian line, and on many sailings the majority of guests are Aussies. The food preferred by Aussies is just a little different than preferences in the US. Aussies like more lamb, duck, and I think more sea food than those from the US. But good old American food can also be ordered, if not on the buffet or main menu. We've known a lot of Aussies in our lives, and are very positive toward them. We feel that they are just like Coloradans from our native state, except they live elsewhere.

I love Aussies and had an absolute blast with a group of them in Canada and again in France. They are a fun loving bunch! Now back to the food...It's a good thing that I don't travel with Scenic, as nice as I've heard it is. I don't like lamb or duck very much and I will not under any circumstances eat fish....so I'm not a good fit!!! In fact I was a little upset with the last Vantage cruise because they served so much fish..main entree is one thing, there's always a vegetarian selection, but several nights the appetizer and soup were also fish and I found myself ordering vegan for the first time on Vantage. Fortunately, their vegetarian chef is one of the best I've ever come across.

Vantage also offers the option of sit down menu at b-fast and lunch but most of us are eating b-fast before going on shore so we all like the buffet and

since I eat mostly plant based foods, I really like the cold soup and salad for lunch but they also have a hot food station for those who like a heartier lunch.

The Aussies we hung out with on Uniworld were a highlight of our trip! So much fun and pretty much the only ones out after dinner besides DH and I and Mr. Karaoke.:rolleyes:

DH and I both opt for seafood whenever it is offered and we also enjoy lamb, duck and venison when available. I am a big fan of salads as well as veggies and fruit. I do like my food cooked to order as I prefer no rich sauces, butter, cream etc. to be used in their preparation.

At home I cook light and healthy and that is how I prefer to eat wherever I am, with my indulgences when on vacation in Europe being wine, breads and cheeses.:)

Edited by caviargal

Regarding dinners on Scenic - I only recall two buffet dinners out of ten nights. One was a seafood buffet and I believe the other one was the first evening. However, you are always able to order something from the "always available" menu and don't have to do the buffet. Food is a very subjective and personal matter; I loved every single meal I had on the Scenic Gem - especially the baked Camembert cheese that I had one night for my entree.

While breakfast and lunches are buffet, there are always menu choices available for you to order - the eggs benedict were great! We ate all of our lunches, except for one, in the more relaxing atmosphere of the River Cafe in the lounge. There was always a hot choice, two pizza choices and lots of small open faced sandwiches, you could eat as much or as little as you wanted. Found out you could also order french fries!

The Aussies we hung out with on Uniworld were a highlight of our trip! So much fun and pretty much the only ones out after dinner besides DH and I and Mr. Karaoke.:rolleyes:

DH and I both opt for seafood whenever it is offered and we also enjoy lamb, duck and venison when available. I am a big fan of salads as well as veggies and fruit. I do like my food cooked to order as I prefer no rich sauces, butter, cream etc. to be used in their preparation.

At home I cook light and healthy and that is how I prefer to eat wherever I am, with my indulgences when on vacation in Europe being wine, breads and cheeses.:)

Those are my trave treats too...along with ice-cream, cake, cookies and chocolate!

Ladies and gentlemen.

The fact that Scenic is an Aussy owned cruise and that we could could expect many Aussy fellow guests was a major reason that my wife picked Scenic over Uniworld for our river cruise last month. We have known many Aussies over the years. On our Scenic cruise (75% Aussy fellow guests) the Aussies were a real highlight. As I said before, they are just like fellow Coloradans who just happen to live elsewhere. And when the Aussies met us Coloradans, they were surprised how much like them we were (unlike Americans they had met from other parts of the USA). Compatibility of fellow guests is an important factor in cruise enjoyment. I note that posts above have compared the atmosphere on Scenic to that on Regent. As we have been regular Regent cruisers, we noticed that too, and were pleased by that.

I am still awaiting a post by the OP (muly) as to what the Gem offered in drawer and closet space that the Jewel and Crystal didn't. A couple of small negatives about our recent Scenic cruise.

have yet to travel with scenic but their product looks appealing. we have spoken to others who have river cruised with them and others who recently returned from a land trip with them to Norfolk island, small group of 11 and loved the whole experience.

re buffets. its nice to be served agree but a really beautifully prepared buffet with excellent food is good too. on our last river cruise the dinner menu and what actually was served was sometimes ...well a surprise. the description differed from our and others past experiences.

so its nice sometimes to see the food and make a choice in terms of quality/quantity.

many have said the dinner experience could be improved in terms of time/noise etc. even more options to dine off ship or more choices of venue. this is beginning to change a little.

Well, on our last Scenic cruise last month, I will say that most of our dinners were sit down (including the ones that were part of a tour off ship). I can't assign a percentage to it. Before we cruised, I was hesitant because all the lunches were buffet. But after experiencing it I know why. Because of all the included tours and proximity to the ports, once onboard, I didn't feel there was enough time for a sit-down served lunch. Once onboard and into the trip, I was happy we had the quick buffet lunches. The real deal was that I was happy to be seeing Europe without some horrible bus tour, and without me driving about in a rental car -- not knowing where I was going.

A word about the storage on the Gem. I had plenty of empty drawers which was a first. Two separate closets each with hanging space, shelves and drawers. beside the bed were two drawers, the desk area had three more drawers, the bathroom had 6 drawers and 2 cabinets. Uhh, this was the panorama suite. Very spacious, comfortable and worth the money for our needs, We just like the space for relaxing and drinking excellent wine. The closet doors do pull out to slide which is odd, but I got used to it. Hope this helps.

A word about the storage on the Gem. I had plenty of empty drawers which was a first. Two separate closets each with hanging space, shelves and drawers. beside the bed were two drawers, the desk area had three more drawers, the bathroom had 6 drawers and 2 cabinets. Uhh, this was the panorama suite. Very spacious, comfortable and worth the money for our needs, We just like the space for relaxing and drinking excellent wine. The closet doors do pull out to slide which is odd, but I got used to it. Hope this helps.

Obviously more drawers in a suite than a balcony cabin. We had only four drawers, but lots of hanging room as well as plenty of shelves that we used for folded clothes. Two women, one of whom is an "overpacker" had lots of room for everything. Also if you need more coat hangers, your butler will be more than happy to bring you some.

Yes, the Panorama Suites on Scenic's ships are indeed nice and large. As I recall there are four of them on decks 2 and 3 (two on each deck) in Scenic's standard design ships, and they are right on the stern. The "Junior Suite" we recently had on deck 3 (I wouldn't call it a "suite") was just too small for us, but was the last room they had when we decided to book. Will certainly book earlier and go for something larger next time. We will miss the location of the Junior Suite, however. It was just a few steps away from the reception, dining and lounge areas.

Oops! We are on the Paris - Normandy loop, "Gems of the Seine". The distance to see the Tapestry is not so great in that direction, right?

Oops! My bad -- I don't know why I thought this was about the Bordeaux itinerary. Yes -- Bayeux is very close to where you will be on the Paris to Normandy loop. [i think I have even heard of some river cruise that included the Bayeux tapestry as part of the Normandy excursion -- but that would be very unusual because the Normandy beaches need a whole day by themselves.] You would have to skip one of the included tours and go off on your own -- either by renting a car or hiring a guide -- looking at your itinerary, the second day in Rouen would be a good candidate. Bayeux is a compact city and there is a convenient parking lot from which you can walk to the Tapestry (there is an included audio guide that moves you through in 20 minutes, then a 15-minute movie [check times for the English soundtrack], plus a museum -- you should figure at least an hour to do it all. There is also a Cathedral that's worth a look [it's as big as Notre-Dame in Paris], and a Lace Conservatory that's worth the 10 minutes it takes to watch lace being made. Finally, Bayeux has a museum on the Battle of Normandy [which we didn't visit] -- this would be a good introduction before your excursion to the Normandy beaches later in the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Clicked the links, read the fine print, did the research and now we're booked on Scenic Jade April 2016 Basel to Amsterdam - deal was too good to pass up. Next homework assignment is to look into flying in a day early.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Clicked the links, read the fine print, did the research and now we're booked on Scenic Jade April 2016 Basel to Amsterdam - deal was too good to pass up. Next homework assignment is to look into flying in a day early.

Try to make it 2 or 3 days, so you have time to see Lucerne (and maybe Zurich).

We are doing that exact same itinerary in June with Scenic. Just booked my air with Scenic as is was included (love the flights!) and paid a small fee to deviate and arrive a week early. The more I researched Switzerland the longer we wanted to come in early!!