Gratuities - Diamond Princess

Douglas cruising

Hi we are travelling from Sydney to Singapore 23rd March 2016. We noticed gratuity charges of approximately $260 per person including children US dollars in our online booking. We were never made aware of this when making the booking.

After several phone calls and different information provided by customer service (one said there wont be any gratuity charges even though our booking online said differently and another person simply could advise us) to I have now had confirmation via a return call from Princess that the gratuity charges will be put on our account when we board. We can then go to the desk and request they be removed and tip as we wish.

I have always done my own tipping and prefer to give cash to the staff we feel have provided the service. I normally tip the room steward when we first arrive and again when we leave. Same with our regular waiter for dinner.

All of our previous cruises have been around Australia hence this is the first time we have experienced this.

Apart from wanting to tip ourselves, approx. $1000 US in tipping is a lot of money for us.

Has anyone else had any experience with having the gratuities removed once on board and would appreciate any comments based on past experience.

Many thanks!

I have always done my own tipping and prefer to give cash to the staff we feel have provided the service. I normally tip the room steward when we first arrive and again when we leave. Same with our regular waiter for dinner.

Many thanks!

The employees must turn in all tips they get in cash into the pool if you remove the tips from your statement. The pool is not only for those who serve your dinner or clean your cabin. They are also for people who cook and clean in the buffet, do the laundry, etc...

If you tip less than the daily requirement of $11.50 per person per day, and that employee turns in whatever you give, this may cause a search of his belongings. Some of them may even have to give up part of their own money to cover the difference.

On Princess if you remove the auto-tip and give cash tips the crewmember does not get to keep the money & it is added to the tip pool shared by many of the hardworking crewmembers.

There are several current discussions about tipping that you could view for additional information.

Edited by Astro Flyer

For Australia and New Zealand residents sailing on Sun, Dawn, and Sea Princess gratuities are included in the quoted cruise fare and not charged to your onboard folio. For all others on those ships, and everyone on all other Princess ships--including children who are often more work than adults--gratuities are charged onboard (presuming you do not choose to prepay, which it appears your booking agent thought you did). When you sail on a ship that uses the American custom of tipping--as all but three Princess ships do--you need to figure it into your budget. Period. And know that should you remove the auto tips, your cabin steward and waiter will be required to turn any cash you give them into the tipping pool where your auto-tips would have gone.

Edited by fishywood

For Australia and New Zealand residents sailing on Sun, Dawn, and Sea Princess gratuities are included in the quoted cruise fare and not charged to your onboard folio. For all others on those ships, and everyone on all other Princess ships--including children who are often more work than adults--gratuities are charged onboard (presuming you do not choose to prepay, which it appears your booking agent thought you did). When you sail on a ship that uses the American custom of tipping--as all but three Princess ships do--you need to figure it into your budget. Period. And know that should you remove the auto tips, your cabin steward and waiter will be required to turn any cash you give them into the tipping pool where your auto-tips would have gone.

Golden And Diamond Princess cruises departing and returning to Australian ports this summer also have the gratuities included in the cruise price

Golden And Diamond Princess cruises departing and returning to Australian ports this summer also have the gratuities included in the cruise price

Slipped my mind about Golden, which is actually on her way to her maiden season in Australia right now. And I concede being unsure about Diamond which has some cruises that begin and end in Australia and some that are open jaw between Australia and Asia. if there are differing fare and gratuity rules between them perhaps my reply to the OP should have been less harsh, though it is his responsibility to be sure of all charges at time of booking. Hopefully whomever he booked with did not purposely omit this information--not that that is an excuse for removing auto tips.

Slipped my mind about Golden, which is actually on her way to her maiden season in Australia right now. And I concede being unsure about Diamond which has some cruises that begin and end in Australia and some that are open jaw between Australia and Asia. if there are differing fare and gratuity rules between them perhaps my reply to the OP should have been less harsh, though it is his responsibility to be sure of all charges at time of booking. Hopefully whomever he booked with did not purposely omit this information--not that that is an excuse for removing auto tips.

The Diamond use to operate on the same rules that all other Princess ships used for tipping and charges on board. However, the Diamond and Golden will be charged in AUS dollars and have tipping included in the price of the fare from the 2015/16 cruise season and onwards.

The Diamond use to operate on the same rules that all other Princess ships used for tipping and charges on board. However, the Diamond and Golden will be charged in AUS dollars and have tipping included in the price of the fare from the 2015/16 cruise season and onwards.

So why is the OP under the impression he is being charged separately and in $US for gratuities on his March 2016 Diamond cruise? Unless the Diamond is going to return to US policies for the Asian summer season beginning with the above Sydney/Singapore repo cruise. (Could he have booked thru a US travel agent without realizing the reason the price is lower is that gratuities are not included? Or are we mistakenly assuming he is from Australia in the first place? Call me stumped :confused:)

I think you will find that the gratuities in relation to the Diamond and Golden are only included in the fare price for cruises which start AND finish in Australia. - in other words round trip from an Australian port.:)

So why is the OP under the impression he is being charged separately and in $US for gratuities on his March 2016 Diamond cruise? Unless the Diamond is going to return to US policies for the Asian summer season beginning with the above Sydney/Singapore repo cruise. (Could he have booked thru a US travel agent without realizing the reason the price is lower is that gratuities are not included? Or are we mistakenly assuming he is from Australia in the first place? Call me stumped :confused:)

I would presume they are paying gratuities separately because the cruise starts in Aus and completion is in Singapore, therefore not a round trip around Australia, with the recommencing of Princess policies starting at the beginning of this cruise. I however could be wrong, but im sure I was informed that the gratuities were included for round trips departing Aus

I would presume they are paying gratuities separately because the cruise starts in Aus and completion is in Singapore, therefore not a round trip around Australia, with the recommencing of Princess policies starting at the beginning of this cruise. I however could be wrong, but im sure I was informed that the gratuities were included for round trips departing Aus

joybrook would be correct that the gratuities would only be included with cruises starting and finishing in Australia so with the Diamond going back to Asia they would have to pay the tips and if they check their personalizer it should state the currency would revert to USD

Hi we are from Australia. We booked directly with Princess cruise line AUS which we have done twice in the past. There was definitely no mention of gratuities or anything in our booking confirmation either. I discovered gratuities on this website for our cruise then looked in our payments and credits to confirm the amounts. I am sorry but if anyone expects most people to spend hours reading over the companies website to troll for any information on other charges that is quite unreasonable. I have a family and my own business - I expect when I am quoted a price for it to be inclusive of most substantial costs.

I love Princess Cruises however I feel when the gratuities is quite a substantial amount (around 12-15% of total booking for us) it should be disclosed in the total package price both in discussion (verbal or email) when booking and on the booking confirmation. Many would see this as quite misleading. The same has occurred with another family travelling on the same cruise who we made aware of the charges so I doubt ours is an isolated case.

I am a little surprised from the replies so far that others have not expressed the same experience or thoughts, but that is what a post is for and I appreciate the comments and insight most have shared.

Hi we are travelling from Sydney to Singapore 23rd March 2016. We noticed gratuity charges of approximately $260 per person including children US dollars in our online booking. We were never made aware of this when making the booking.

After several phone calls and different information provided by customer service (one said there wont be any gratuity charges even though our booking online said differently and another person simply could advise us) to I have now had confirmation via a return call from Princess that the gratuity charges will be put on our account when we board. We can then go to the desk and request they be removed and tip as we wish.

All of our previous cruises have been around Australia hence this is the first time we have experienced this.

Apart from wanting to tip ourselves, approx. $1000 US in tipping is a lot of money for us.

Has anyone else had any experience with having the gratuities removed once on board and would appreciate any comments based on past experience.

Many thanks!

You can easily have the auto tips removed at guest services and tip as you see fit as service is rendered.

Booking from UK passengers follow Princess std gratuities format they say

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. Effective on voyages departing on or after January 1, 2016, the gratuity charge will be $13.95 per guest for mini-suites and suites, and $12.95 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

For your convenience, this gratuity can be pre-paid online via Cruise Personalizer. Alternatively, you may call us at 0843 374 4444 and reference Special Services item number 0591. Pre-payment is available up to 2 days prior to departure.

A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges, dining room wine accounts, and Lotus Spa® services. This is shared amongst the beverage staff, their support staff and Lotus Spa® personnel.

The 15% added to drinks is sometimes forgotten by passengers - especially those who buy a drinks package

It is no problem to get it removed if you want to dish out cash.

If you have freedom or any-time dining then you have to pay all gratuities up front and cant take them off!

When we used to do fixed dining I have seen guests not eat in the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping. There is the story of a waiter who found his non tippers in the Buffet and reminded them loudly that they had forgotten to tip

Alan

Booking from UK passengers follow Princess std gratuities format they say

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. Effective on voyages departing on or after January 1, 2016, the gratuity charge will be $13.95 per guest for mini-suites and suites, and $12.95 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

For your convenience, this gratuity can be pre-paid online via Cruise Personalizer. Alternatively, you may call us at 0843 374 4444 and reference Special Services item number 0591. Pre-payment is available up to 2 days prior to departure.

A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges, dining room wine accounts, and Lotus Spa® services. This is shared amongst the beverage staff, their support staff and Lotus Spa® personnel.

The 15% added to drinks is sometimes forgotten by passengers - especially those who buy a drinks package

It is no problem to get it removed if you want to dish out cash.

If you have freedom or any-time dining then you have to pay all gratuities up front and cant take them off!

When we used to do fixed dining I have seen guests not eat in the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping. There is the story of a waiter who found his non tippers in the Buffet and reminded them loudly that they had forgotten to tip

Alan

If you are on Anytime dining you can if you wish remove your tips

If you are on Any-time dining you can if you wish remove your tips

If I recall with Celebrity if you are whatever they call any time dining the tips are added to your invoice and paid before you embark and cant be removed.

Tipping is a minefield and is often influenced by where you live - generally I tip for exceptional service - above the normal I would expect. I read an old definition of tip as being To ensure Prompt Service, I don't believe its up to me to supplement an employers wage bill.

When we cruise on an all inclusive like Regent I don't tip as the cruise price is high enough to cover staffing costs

Alan

I don't think this is true for people from the U.S.

We're on the Diamond out of Sydney next March and gratuities are not included in our fare. We will be charged once onboard unless we choose to prepay. All onboard charges wil be in Australian dollars

Hi we are from Australia. We booked directly with Princess cruise line AUS which we have done twice in the past. There was definitely no mention of gratuities or anything in our booking confirmation either. I discovered gratuities on this website for our cruise then looked in our payments and credits to confirm the amounts. I am sorry but if anyone expects most people to spend hours reading over the companies website to troll for any information on other charges that is quite unreasonable. I have a family and my own business - I expect when I am quoted a price for it to be inclusive of most substantial costs.

I love Princess Cruises however I feel when the gratuities is quite a substantial amount (around 12-15% of total booking for us) it should be disclosed in the total package price both in discussion (verbal or email) when booking and on the booking confirmation. Many would see this as quite misleading. The same has occurred with another family travelling on the same cruise who we made aware of the charges so I doubt ours is an isolated case.

I am a little surprised from the replies so far that others have not expressed the same experience or thoughts, but that is what a post is for and I appreciate the comments and insight most have shared.

The gratuity is not typically mentioned in the booking confirmation, nor is it part of the contractual agreement. It IS mentioned numerous times on the website and in the pre-planning materials. Since tipping is not the cultural norm for you AND since your previous cruises fell under Australian rules, I certainly understand your surprise and consternation at discovering this added cost. I think anyone in your situation would be surprised, although it is not at all a surprise for those of us who see it as an everyday part of the cruise total cost. But your surprise does not mean you are allowed to ignore it because you felt misled or uninformed or whatever expectation you may have had. You now know that this is an expected expense. You now know tipping is the norm, you have 5 months to prepare for it, and not tipping at the expected rate simply cannot be rationalized away as a misunderstood or poorly communicated expense.

Here is what I see as your options:

1. Decide to absorb the increased cost. Yes, it is quite a bit of expense, but you are still over 5 months from cruising, so perhaps you can adjust your budget.

2. Cancel the cruise. I don't know if this action will result in a penalty or loss of deposit, but it might be your better option if the additional $1000 is a true budget buster. Most of us on this board are not familiar with the terms of the Australian passage contract, but if it is similar to the US one, you are well ahead of final payment and would not be penalized.

Lastly, you might want to consider using a travel agent in the future. Since you feel it is unreasonable to expect you to read the available information on a cruise website, a Travel Agent would have been obligated to explain this to you if you asked about total costs. It is their job to know these details and communicate them to clients. If you book directly, it is your job to read the website.

We're on the Diamond out of Sydney next March and gratuities are not included in our fare. We will be charged once onboard unless we choose to prepay. All onboard charges wil be in Australian dollars

Does your Personalizer have the option for prepayment? When I look at our booking on the Diamond, there is no option to prepay gratuities. But when I look at our other bookings, I do see the drop down box for prepayment. Not having the drop down box or option to pay leads me to believe the gratuities are included in the price. (But JIC, we are prepared to pay them onboard if that happens)

Lastly, you might want to consider using a travel agent in the future. Since you feel it is unreasonable to expect you to read the available information on a cruise website, a Travel Agent would have been obligated to explain this to you if you asked about total costs. It is their job to know these details and communicate them to clients. If you book directly, it is your job to read the website.

Excellent advice.

True. It is only for passengers booking in Australia and New Zealand from what my travel agent has told me

Many thanks!

I have removed the tips without any problems.

The gratuity is not typically mentioned in the booking confirmation, nor is it part of the contractual agreement.

Correct. Here in the USA where the "auto-tip" is in effect, it is not mentioned at all in the booking confirmation.

For the OP, whether booking with a TA or directly with Princess it might not come up in the booking conversation. Only a sharp thinking agent would realize anyone from Australia might not realize what the tipping policy on this cruise is.