Rude Karaoke Hostess on Ecstasy

DJSteve552003

The second night of our 4 day cruise on 9/22/15 my wife & I went to Karaoke and put in a song request which was a duet and I gave the Hostess our names. She was typing in the request and then asked," do you have names?" I told her I already gave them to you but it's Nancy & Steve. I thought maybe she was having a bad night and was a little cross. The next night we got there about 10 minutes early and I saw the binders where the song selections are kept. I reached for one of the binders and she said," I'll make an anouncement when the binders are available." I went back and sat at our table. 5 minutes later she comes by our table and slams down one of the binders on our table so forcebly other people in the venu noticed it and said something to us. We promptly walked out and immediately went to guest services to file a complaint. The rep. there seemed concerned and apologized for this persons behavior. I would have thought I would have received a letter or e-mail with a follow-up. I haven't received nothing. I hadn't been on Carnival in over 15 years abd this was my wifes first Carnival cruise. Add to that, they lost one of my wifes bags and it's not likely we will return to Carnival. BTW this was my 24 cruise, 4th on Carnival. :mad:

Steve

Edited by DJSteve552003

The second night of our 4 day cruise on 9/22/15 my wife & I went to Karaoke and put in a song request which was a duet and I gave the Hostess our names. She was typing in the request and then asked," do you have names?" I told her I already gave them to you but it's Nancy & Steve. I thought maybe she was having a bad night and was a little cross. The next night we got there about 10 minutes early and I saw the binders where the song selections are kept. I reached for one of the binders and she said," I'll make an anouncement when the binders are available." I went back and sat at our table. 5 minutes later she comes by our table and slams down one of the binders on our table so forcebly other people in the venu noticed it and said something to us. We promptly walked out and immediately went to guest services to file a complaint. The rep. there seemed concerned and apologized for this persons behavior. I would have thought I would have received a letter or e-mail with a follow-up. I haven't received nothing. I hadn't been on Carnival in over 15 years abd this was my wifes first Carnival cruise. Add to that, they lost one of my wifes bags and it's not likely we will return to Carnival. BTW this was my 24 cruise, 4th on Carnival. :mad:

Steve

Sorry for the problem, doubt you will see anything else though. I think in their mind the apology was given and received, end of story. If you have not been on Carnival for 15 years, it has change quite a bit.

I glad you enjoy Karaoke, myself I actively avoid such things so I would have no idea what was normal for a hostess.I didn't even know there was such a thing!

The lost bag seems the bigger issue! Did they find it?

At any rate, they apologized. Did they say they would follow up? I'm not sure I'd expect a follow up on the karaoke host thing. Besides, "I'm sorry and I'll speak to the X manager" (entertainment?) I'm not sure what else they can/would do. It would be incorrect to follow up with any employment related information (the result to the employee) and if they were going to offer you something, I imagine the appropriate time would've been then. But it sounds like you were already off the ship so not sure what they could appropriately offer you (on the ship, maybe something small like courtesy strawberries to the room or something, but off the ship, not much). I'm kind of confused what follow up makes sense.

Now follow up on that lost bag to look into it! That seems important. Of course, I don't know if CCL or the port lost it.

Wait, I am confused. You have 2 minor incidents with one employee and now you are done with the cruise line? That seems a bit harsh

Regardless of how true the story is, it sounds like Carnival wasn't a big player in their cruise portfolio anyway. If they ticked him off then why go back?

On our last cruise, my husband was spoken to VERY rudely by a crew member. He complained at guest services. That afternoon we received a call from the head of guest services and we were given a free dinner at the steakhouse as an apology.

IMO, crew members are allowed to have bad days, just like everybody else. But to treats guests with such extreme disrespect is just NOT OK.

I'm glad you filed a complaint. How else are they going to know how they are treating passengers unless somebody says something?

(I know my opinion isn't going to be popular, but there it is...:D )

Hi Steve,

I'm about to go on my 4th Carnival cruise and have never had any problems. Did you happen to get the Karaoke hosts name? Emailing Carnival with her name and your cruise details might yield you better results. I would not count Carnival out because of these two (in my opinion) small things. You're not likely to run into that same person ever again.

Steve

Because she asked you for your name?? Maybe she didn't hear it the 1st time?? The lost bag seems more concerning. If Karaoke gets you mad.... that's not good.

I know whenever I have been anywhere that had Karaoke, you would write down the number that corresponds to the song you want (sometimes the song name as well) and then your name. Maybe she could not read your writing (if you wrote it down for her)?

Regardless of how true the story is, it sounds like Carnival wasn't a big player in their cruise portfolio anyway. If they ticked him off then why go back?

Greg, so you're saying I made this story up? You don't have a clue then. I'm not a Carnival hater. Karaoke is somehting my wife & I enjoy very much. We have done it hundreds of times and even won contests for our singing. My point was this woman had no business slamming the book down on our table. I worked in customer service, in fact I used I own a DJ service but I retired 3 years ago.

I thought I would give Carnival another try. It was cheap and 90% of the cruise was ok. BTW, the did find my wife's bag but she had already spent almost $300 on replacing the contents. We did have insurance and my wife filed a claim.

I know whenever I have been anywhere that had Karaoke, you would write down the number that corresponds to the song you want (sometimes the song name as well) and then your name. Maybe she could not read your writing (if you wrote it down for her)?

There were no slips. People just told her the name of the song. There wen't even numbers in the book. I found that strange also because typically you give the name and number.

The lost bag seems the bigger issue! Did they find it?

At any rate, they apologized. Did they say they would follow up? I'm not sure I'd expect a follow up on the karaoke host thing. Besides, "I'm sorry and I'll speak to the X manager" (entertainment?) I'm not sure what else they can/would do. It would be incorrect to follow up with any employment related information (the result to the employee) and if they were going to offer you something, I imagine the appropriate time would've been then. But it sounds like you were already off the ship so not sure what they could appropriately offer you (on the ship, maybe something small like courtesy strawberries to the room or something, but off the ship, not much). I'm kind of confused what follow up makes sense.

Now follow up on that lost bag to look into it! That seems important. Of course, I don't know if CCL or the port lost it.

I'm not sure who lost it because we put it ouside of our cabin with the other bags and it was the only one missing. They did find it and shipped it back. My wife had already bought almost $ 300 of replacement products that were in the bag. She filed a claim with the insurance company.

You complained, guest services showed concern and empathy. Guest services apologized.

Did you request something more?

Please provide an example of what your expectations were.

I would have liked to receive something in writing or e-mail stating they were looking into the matter. I wasn't looking for any freebies or compensation.

Hi Steve,

I'm about to go on my 4th Carnival cruise and have never had any problems. Did you happen to get the Karaoke hosts name? Emailing Carnival with her name and your cruise details might yield you better results. I would not count Carnival out because of these two (in my opinion) small things. You're not likely to run into that same person ever again.

I have been on 24 cruises and not had any problem with staff or luggage. Now the airlines are a different story when it comes to losing luggage.

Certainly not minimizing your experience here, but everyone has bad days. We had a similar "rude" experience with a Russian Craps dealer on Carnival. You could just tell she was tired, having a bad day, andoff her game.

Being the passive aggressive dude that I am, i probably would've chosen "Fight For Your Right To Party" out of the book and commenced to screaming it at the hostess to release the anger I was feeling towards her rudeness.

Because she asked you for your name?? Maybe she didn't hear it the 1st time?? The lost bag seems more concerning. If Karaoke gets you mad.... that's not good.

It was because the host slammed the book down on the table. Do you think this was appropiate behavior for a customer service employee to portray?

On our last cruise, my husband was spoken to VERY rudely by a crew member. He complained at guest services. That afternoon we received a call from the head of guest services and we were given a free dinner at the steakhouse as an apology.

IMO, crew members are allowed to have bad days, just like everybody else. But to treats guests with such extreme disrespect is just NOT OK.

I'm glad you filed a complaint. How else are they going to know how they are treating passengers unless somebody says something?

(I know my opinion isn't going to be popular, but there it is...:D )

I didn't expect any freebies or compensation. It would have been nice to receive something in writing or email.

There were no slips. People just told her the name of the song. There wen't even numbers in the book. I found that strange also because typically you give the name and number.

Sounds like you were witnessing life with the "wonderful" new karaoke system that Carnival has elected to install on all the ships. :mad: More of a PIA than anything else, and perhaps that's why the karaoke hostess was in such a bad mood? ;) Unfortunately, it appears that we're stuck with it, if we plan on sailing Carnival in the future. :eek:

"SKY"

Greg, so you're saying I made this story up? You don't have a clue then.

Whoa there DJQuickdraw. Holster your microphone. I never said such a thing. My point was no matter whether anyone believes you or not, Carnival isn't exactly your go to cruise line henceforth and hitherto, it won't be missed. At ease man.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

what would you consider major?

stealing, cheating, someone telling me to *#(@ off, someone calling me a racist word, someone laying hands on me, someone ignoring me to a ridiculous level, someone purposefully spilling something, etc.

Eye rolling, sighing, or dropping a karaoke book down is minor to me. I would probably not lodge a complaint unless it was repeated intentional behavior. I allow them to have occasional bad days. But you were within your rights to complain if you felt it was warranted.

but there is lots of room between minor and major in my book.

The new system of karaoke (no more slips, they type it in and put you in a queue on the screen) had our hostess a bit frazzled as well because it was difficult for her to type and I am sure loud listening to what people were saying while others were singing and trying to keep up with everything in real time versus being able to read slips after someone submits it.

Edited by bargainsniper

Why do you let this bother you so much? Fill in your after cruise guest survey and move on.

To make others aware of what they may encounter. For everyone that complains, there are many others out there that won't. Perhaps you enjoy rude people and poor service, but when I pay my hard earned money for a vacation I have certain expectations and criteria that need to be met. It's the same reason I won't go on all inclusive land vacations.

Steve