Don't be late! Don't miss the ship!

LMaxwell

Be on time. Double and triple check. Leave yourself enough time to get back! And if your kids are onboard leave another 30 minute buffer over what you think is okay.

IN ADDITION: Your daily paper will have the NAME and CONTACT INFORMATION of the PORT AGENT. If you are trying to get back to the ship and are running late, CALL THE PORT AGENT. If they know you are on your way you at least have a chance of them waiting. If you are late and no one knows where you are or what you are doing ALL BETS ARE OFF.

Edited by LMaxwell

I really hope they were with other family and not in kids care while the parents left the ship for the day.

We left our toddlers on the boat in Cozumel and got back hours before leaving time because having the ship leave without us was my biggest fear.

It was our first cruise and I had read some review about someone missing the ship and his experience right before we left. Every port I took extra phone chargers, my own passport, credit cards and had a photo of the local contact just in case. I'm not an overly cautious person in everyday life but was so scared about that situation happening in a foreign place!

What ship and port is this?

The video description says it was Breakaway and it was Nassau. Video was posted yesterday.

I saw a family miss the Disney Wonder. They were standing in line to get through the port security. I heard the port people frequently ask if anyone is on the Wonder. After a while some guy pipes up. The port people said they had been announcing for a while. He ended up getting the little tugboat to take them. I saw the Wonder stop and turn and I'm assuming it waited.

Not sure why this lady couldn't have done that? Or maybe she eventually did. She just seemed to sit there on her knees and break down. Me, I'd be immediately over talking to the port people and getting them to call the ship.

Sounds like she left her kids with the kids club for the port play. Ouch. Hope everything turned out OK for her.

I am always on the ship an hour before unless i am on an NCL excursion then i don't worry. I have seen this once, some people just go on wondering and don't watch the time. :mad::mad:

this falls into the category, "You have only yourself to blame" :-(

Edited by qtaromar1970

With the limited information given, I have to believe that the woman was at fault for missing the ship.

(...waiting for more info...)

IN ADDITION: Your daily paper will have the NAME and CONTACT INFORMATION of the PORT AGENT. If you are trying to get back to the ship and are running late, CALL THE PORT AGENT. If they know you are on your way you at least have a chance of them waiting. If you are late and no one knows where you are or what you are doing ALL BETS ARE OFF.

of course she is at fault. It is not hard to read the Daily's and see this information clearly published. All aboard times (which are earlier than set sail times) are clearly published in the dailies AND at the gangway.

Even in extreme circumstances where delays can occur this is a situation which can still be mitigated.

If the staff KNOWS the kids are onboard and the parents aren't (and they DO know) they will be paging the parents, but without any communication from them how long do they hold a ship? 5 minutes? 20? 2 hours? Then people learn the ship will just wait and you end up with this sort of stuff every single port stop.

I have empathy; this was, at minimum, an expensive mistake to make and I am sure the parents feel awful. But I will not be surprised to learn they were at a beach or a bar and just not paying attention.

... She just seemed to sit there on her knees and break down. Me, I'd be immediately over talking to the port people and getting them to call the ship. ...

You know to do that. Not everyone does. Whenever there is a thread like this, we all remind ourselves to know who the port agent is, and that it's listed on the dailies - but those people are probably not on Cruise Critic. If there are new people reading the thread, now they know. Otherwise, they may even see the port agent listed on the daily and not know why.

If I watched a ship sail away with my child on it, I would be adding up the minibar and room service costs (my son is almost 30), so I would be breaking down, as well.

Call me a cynic but how do we know she wasn't yelling that thinking the ship and the other 4000 passengers would care enough to wait longer for her?

Well it's the ultimate decision of one person onboard and exactly zero of the guests....

We watched the entire event. The ship was due to leave at 5:30 but waited until 6:20. The husband dropped the children off and went back outside to wait for his wife. He was in discussion with the deck guy in the golf caddy. You could see he was trying to call her on a cell phone.

Finally the ship had to leave and started to back up. That was when the wife showed up but it was too late.

Yes, it was tragic. Everyone felt terrible for them and concerned for the kids who were left behind. One gentleman ran in and used an emergency phone to call 911 but it was too late. The ship waited an additional 50 minutes. I don't fault the captain....of course I feel sick for the family....but for whatever reason, she was late. It was her fault.

The captain had to make the call. I don't know how the ships work; perhaps it is not possible to pull back in once he had started moving. And there may be fees associated when they remain at the pier longer than their arranged time.

I hope we eventually find out what the outcome was and if there was family on the ship to take care of the children.

I'm guessing the couple would have to fly from Nassau to New York and wait for the Breakaway's return. When we went to Nassau, all we had was our picture ID and a small amount a cash. It would be difficult to purchase food, flights, hotels etc.

I agree with all the previous posts. Pay attention to what time you must be back on the ship.

We watched the entire event. The ship was due to leave at 5:30 but waited until 6:20. The husband dropped the children off and went back outside to wait for his wife. He was in discussion with the deck guy in the golf caddy. You could see he was trying to call her on a cell phone.

Thanks for the update. Hope it all works out for the children and that there were other family members on board to take care of the children.