Don't be late! Don't miss the ship!

LMaxwell

As FYI to those who are defending this irresponsible woman, she was loaded down with shopping bags which she dropped when she saw the ship leaving. The video doesn't capture that but I witnessed it. Bad judgement on her part.

One of the cruises I was on, I saw two of our group of 75 being left behind. They, too, had shopping bags, but no kids onboard. They lost the last three days of the cruise because we only had Labadee and two sea days left. They had to fly back into winter wearing summer clothes. We stayed on ships time, they must have been on local time. Important for everyone to know whether the ship is going to change time or not and NEVER use your cell phone, as that switches to local time.

I feel very badly for the kids left behind. That must be very scary for them. And I am sure the parents are frantic, as I would be.

Doesn't the kids' club have a rule about having 1 parent or guardian remain on board if kids are left in the club on port days? I thought that I read that somewhere.

They did in the past. I don't know if they still do. It seems like common sense 101 to not leave a child on the ship without a family member, but ... :rolleyes:

Doesn't the kids' club have a rule about having 1 parent or guardian remain on board if kids are left in the club on port days? I thought that I read that somewhere.

Not according to teir FAQ unless your child has special needs or is in diapers

If not, that should be a rule. Things happen and no child should be on the ship without at least one parent, because you never know if there will be an accident, a shore excursion doesn't get back in time, etc.

Be on time. Double and triple check. Leave yourself enough time to get back! And if your kids are onboard leave another 30 minute buffer over what you think is okay.

IN ADDITION: Your daily paper will have the NAME and CONTACT INFORMATION of the PORT AGENT. If you are trying to get back to the ship and are running late, CALL THE PORT AGENT. If they know you are on your way you at least have a chance of them waiting. If you are late and no one knows where you are or what you are doing ALL BETS ARE OFF.

I have seen other youtube videos of people missing the boat as well, but none as dramatic as this. But you are right about keeping track of time because the ship most likely WILL NOT WAIT FOR YOU. My question is - what happened with the kids? We've seen the runners who just make it before the ship pulls away, we have sat on our deck and watched them literally running and making it with seconds to spare. We have also vowed that will not be us, and we make a point of being back onboard at least an hour before the ship sets sail. Yes that's a little less time in port, but we are happy being safe, not sorry. Cheers!

I stumbled across a very good post about one man's experience on missing a ship. I am sorry but I do not know how to paste the link using my iPad. Maybe someone else can help out here to make it easier for all.

It can be found in "Cruise Discussions" under "Saving Money on your cruise-tips & advice". The thread is posted by poutanen and is titled "Klfhngr's story: I missed the boat in Nassau!"

Originally posted on Oct 2014 but latest post was this month so thread is still on page one.

I am rarely late for anything but still really appreciated this post for a sense of what to expect/ things to think about when going on shore. A very good read.

I stumbled across a very good post about one man's experience on missing a ship. I am sorry but I do not know how to paste the link using my iPad. Maybe someone else can help out here to make it easier for all.

It can be found in "Cruise Discussions" under "Saving Money on your cruise-tips & advice". The thread is posted by poutanen and is titled "Klfhngr's story: I missed the boat in Nassau!"

Originally posted on Oct 2014 but latest post was this month so thread is still on page one.

I am rarely late for anything but still really appreciated this post for a sense of what to expect/ things to think about when going on shore. A very good read.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2121215&highlight=klfhngr+s+story

As FYI to those who are defending this irresponsible woman, she was loaded down with shopping bags which she dropped when she saw the ship leaving. The video doesn't capture that but I witnessed it. Bad judgement on her part.

I think I've read every post in this thread and I don't recall anyone saying they even feel sorry for her. No worries about anyone actually defending her! LOL.

For those that think my opinion is based on me not having any children are wrong. I have four children. And yes I understand how toddlers moods change. That's why I keep my kids with me on a cruise ship when I go ashore instead of leaving them behind. Maybe y'all just have ill mannered children that u don't want to spend time with. We as a family sit down and look at all the excursions available long before we cruise and select those excursions that we can participate as a family. In my 33 years of marriage and children ranging in ages from 31 to 12. We have always included our children in all of our vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was on the ship....word on the street was the three children were being housed in the captains quarters which would lead me to believe they were younger with no other family...but with over 4000 passengers odds are there were lots of stories .....

$10 says the parents sue the cruise line and/or go caterwauling to the media about how they were victimized.

I'm another one lacking sympathy for the parents, although I do sympathize with the kids, since that had to be scary if they were young. (If they were teens, while it might have been unnerving, it's not like teenagers are incapable of feeding themselves or going to guest services for help if they have a problem!)

I was on the ship....word on the street was the three children were being housed in the captains quarters which would lead me to believe they were younger with no other family...but with over 4000 passengers odds are there were lots of stories .....

I heard they were put in the brig and had to work in the kitchen washing dishes for food.

Wow, if this is true, that would indicate the parents had no family or friends aboard to take the kids. When the dad went on the ship, sounds like he either must have put the kids in the kids club or just left them in the room.

This must have been awful for the kids (who were reported to be 10 or younger).

I am sure the parents are going to sue the cruise line. She is going to say that she was there yelling that her kids were on board and they didn't stop for her. She is going to sue for emotional distress, negligence, the works. That's the way this country works... this was completely 100% her fault. Her irresponsibility caused the situation and she is probably going to blame others and try to get some money.

If she was loaded with shopping bags, sounds like she could have stopped at the straw market and said she would just be a few minutes and would catch up. Huge mistake. Husband shouldn't have left her. Husband shouldn't have dumped the kids on board and waited for her. He partly shares at least some of the fault.

For those that think my opinion is based on me not having any children are wrong. I have four children. And yes I understand how toddlers moods change. That's why I keep my kids with me on a cruise ship when I go ashore instead of leaving them behind. Maybe y'all just have ill mannered children that u don't want to spend time with. We as a family sit down and look at all the excursions available long before we cruise and select those excursions that we can participate as a family. In my 33 years of marriage and children ranging in ages from 31 to 12. We have always included our children in all of our vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.6991bc81f700e0cb02378fb71b298e39.jpg

I am in the camp that you know when the ship is leaving, you know when you are required to be onboard. Disregard those times and expect to be left behind. And her poor children!! That father is just as guilty as she is if he went BACK off the ship!!!

As for those leaving their children onboard in the kids clubs while they go off on an excursion - wow! I cannot imagine being in a foreign country, leaving my children on a ship and going off to do whatever. Yes, toddlers are moody, so you plan accordingly, not leave them with strangers while you go off playing. What is the plan if something catastrophic were to happen while you are ashore? If you were injured and unable to return to the ship, what about the kids? The thought sickens me. When my now 9yr old was 3 years old, we planned our shore excursions with him in mind...with one exception. We did do a snorkeling tour in St. Thomas and he stayed behind with my parents, grandparents and my husband's grandparents, so if something had happened that prevented my husband, older son and I from returning to the ship, he was with family. People are careless in my opinion...leading to being left behind, etc.