Help me decide...Independence OTS or Carnival Vista?

Trying to decide between the IOTS five nights with stops in Labadee and Falmouth or the new Carnival Vista six nights with 3 stops: Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. We are a family of 6 with 2 kids, 2 adults and 2 grandparents. Have not sailed either line so would love some feedback. Royal has the KSF promo on right now so it's a little cheaper...but want to make sure we pick the best option. Thank you.

Trying to decide between the IOTS five nights with stops in Labadee and Falmouth or the new Carnival Vista six nights with 3 stops: Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. We are a family of 6 with 2 kids, 2 adults and 2 grandparents. Have not sailed either line so would love some feedback. Royal has the KSF promo on right now so it's a little cheaper...but want to make sure we pick the best option. Thank you.

I would pick Carnival Vista. Brand new ship and one day longer itinerary.

For a person with no loyalty to either line, the ports do look better for the Vista. That coming from a guy who has never sailed Carnival and likes to make Carnival jokes. Indy is a Freedom class ship though, my favorite.

Give me about 8 weeks and I can give you more detailed advice :)

I have sailed Indy along with the rest of the Freedom sisters and she is a good ship, no concerns on my part with recommending her.

Trying Vista in July for "something different". There seem to be more attractions on board, its a newer ship, etc., etc.

You noted in your questions that RCI has the KSF promo so "its a little cheaper" ... assuming you mean Indy is a little cheaper than Vista but you could you just mean Indy is a little cheaper than it has been.

If Vista is cheaper I would definitely give it a whirl, extra day, good ports, more on board, newer ship. If it slightly more expensive I think I would still go Vista for the same reasons.

Assuming you are under US booking rules though put down the deposit now and remind me August 1st and I can give you more feedback on Vista then :)

This would be a no brainer for me. IOTS would be on top of list.

1. Mixed family. Kids would love all the activities on the Independence including the flow rider, rock climbing, ice skating, mini golf and full sized basketball/soccer/dodgeball courts.

2. Grandparents would love the live broadway musical, as well as the many other live shows presented on the ship.

3. Parents would love the live entertainment in the various bars on board, with any given night, having several options, and types of live music.

RCCL is a cruise line that actually makes a vacation experience for all generations which is what you are looking for. The ports are important, but Labadee is an awesome private resort area, that the ship docks, so you have easy access to the ship all day.

Remember, part if your trip, which is the majority of your time, is on a ship, and so the ship is also a destination. The freedom class ships, provides that special destination and does it really well.

Wow, I expected a lot more support for Independence. Everyone must have had a more positive experience with Carnival than we had. And Ocho Rios, for that matter. All things being equal, I would pick RCI over Carnival every time. Too bad OP can't do a 7 day or longer cruise.

Basically it comes down to price, cabin size, offers, etc.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

RCL is a more upscale brand than Carnival, and the food budget is higher.

That said, a brand new ship has a lot going for it, and I would try the Vista. Probably pay extra to eat a few meals in the premium restaurants.

I would never return to either of my previous Carnival ships, but would happily sail again on Independence.

My rule of thumb is RCI over Carnival in most situations. Although Vista looks nice, I'd probably still go with Indy.

However, you have to take into account the ports and number of nights. Since you have not sailed either line, I think you'll love either. For me personally, my choice would be the Independence.

I'm a big fan of Indy. But I think I would try Vista if the prices were similar. Longer trip, one more port, brand new ship, if I'm doing an excursion I prefer Ochos Rios to Falmouth. I'd like to try something new.

while we just did a TA on the Indy last month and rebooked it for next year

VISTA

The ship looks great

You get an extra day

Ochi over Falmouth

Edited by jonbgd