Question on ports. Key west, Free port, and Nassau

miss tea

I have been to ports where there is nothing to do unless you book an excursion. If you don't need one I won't book one. Can anybody tell me about these ports. Key west, Nassau and Freeport. Is there anything to do close to the ports or in walking distance. We can even take a shot cab ride. We like the beach but we don't snorkel. Not to adventurous just low key. Beach, food, and seeing the area. :cool: Thanks for any advise.

In Key West you will either dock right downtown or at the Navy base. If you dock downtown, you are right in the middle of the action - tons of shops and restaurants right there. If at the Navy base, you are not allowed to walk off, so will take about a 5-10 min shuttle ride into the downtown area. (If you have an early arrival in Key West, you will have to wait for most of the shops to open - learned that the hard way.:p)

Nassau is also walkable. You dock right at the straw market and lots of shops. You can also walk about 15 min to get to Junkanoo Beach. Not much for snorkeling, but a nice view of the ships. There is also the Hilton right there where you can purchase a day pass. http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/bahamas/british-colonial-hilton-nassau-NASHIHH/attractions/cruiseship-info.html

Sorry, can't help you with Freeport. :)

key west has a lot going on. i used to live in florida, so we drove down, so i can't comment on distance from docks, but...

i recommend Mel Fisher museum, shipwreck treasures. http://www.melfisher.org/

the truman whitehouse is lovely. https://www.trumanlittlewhitehouse.com/

i haven't been to but my friends LOVED hemmingway house.

if you are like me and enjoy botanical gardens, the key west botanical garden is very nice. http://www.kwbgs.org/page.asp?p=visit

the Audubon house and gardens is quite lovely as well. http://audubonhouse.com/

and the noaa museum was small but enjoyable aquarium/science exhibits. http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/eco_discovery.html

Edited by vampiress
added links to things.

We just got back from the Dream with this itinerary. In Key West, we went to Ripley's Believe it or Not with the kids and walked the shops. We booked a snorkeling excursion in Freeport at Dead Man's Reef/Paradise Cove. It would've been an amazing experience if the weather was on our side. We did not like Nassau. We didn't book anything there, though. We figured we could just walk around and look at the shops but there wasn't much to see, and the people we encountered weren't very nice. I hear Junkaroo Beach is the place to go in Nassau, so maybe we should've went there! Retrospect. Side note: We booked both of our excursions online and not through Carnival. It was cheaper that way. :) Good luck, and I hope you find something you enjoy!!

Freeport dock is in an industrial area. You can take a cab/shuttle to Port Lucaya (about the only thing to do there). There are shops, a beach, pools, dolphin swim, etc. There used to be a straw market also, but not sure if it is still there.

Key West: Hemingway House, Truman White House, Self-guided walking tour or Old Town Trolley HO/HO tour

Nassau: Self-guided walking tour, Junkanoo Beach

Freeport--Stay on the ship and enjoy the amenities without the crowds.

(I found the self-guided tours via online searching, but a guidebook from your library can also be useful.)

We did this itinerary on the Dream about a year and a half ago. We are beach people too and did not book one excursion through Carnival.

In Key West, we walked down Whitehead (I believe) all the way to The Southernmost point then over to Duval St and back up Duval. We stopped and toured Hemingway's house, saw the little lighthouse, took advantage of photo ops at Southernmost point, mile marker 0, etc. We stopped long enough to dip our feet in the water at their very small "beach" not far from southern most point. We hit several shops along Duval St, stopped for Key Lime Pie on a stick at Kermit's, had a drink at Margaritaville, enjoyed some food at the famous Sloppy Joe's, popped in and had a drink at Garden of Eden bar. They have a clothing optional floor which I had no interest in, but hubby popped into for just a few minutes....long enough to see an old man naked I guess! Yuck! It was a good day....lots of walking. In retrospect, next time I think I would rent bikes near the port for the day. I think they were about $15-20 a day. It was walkable but definitely a lot of it. The worst part was the humidity!

In Nassau, we walked to and hit some shops including the straw market. It was mostly cheap stuff we weren't interested in. Walked down to Junkanoo beach. Decided we weren't interested in spending the day there so took a taxi over to Paradise Island. We entered the public beach on the path beside RUI and hung out at the beach for a couple of hours. Be advised there are groves of folks trying to sell things from tshirts, hats, souvenirs to banana boat rides, jet ski rentals, etc. Hard to relax. If you want some peace, walk far to the right away from most of the people and they will leave you alone for the most part.

In Freeport, we took a taxi to Port Lucaya and paid $20 of $30 each (can't remember) for access to the Grand Lucayan resort. We enjoyed their fabulous pool and spent some time at the beach. Also did some shopping across the street at Port Lucaya. Plenty of shops and places to eat nearby. Should we ever return to Freeport, next time we will try Junkanoo Beach Club. $3 entry fee, $5 beach chair rental and access to food and facilities. Others from our ship seemed to enjoy their day there.

We managed to have a great time at these ports without dropping hundreds of dollars in excursions! Have a great time!!

Edited by CruisinWithDLS

Don't do the glass bottom boat in Key West. It was a waste of time for us. We waited in line for approximately an hour and then saw nothing. I really want to go back to walk the town as it is very pretty and so much to see. Have some key lime pie while you are there, it is the best.

KW is great! No need for excursions unless you want to go on a "water trip"..sailing or skiing, etc.. KW is in Florida, so you phone will work there just fine!

Nassau has lots within walking distance, but Freeport is an industrial port, you will will need to leave the immediate area to find anything to do there. A guidebook on the Bahamas is a great help on planning your time ashore.

Key west - use the hop on/off trolley. Ride to southern most point. If u want u can even get to a beach. But key west is about walking the town, having some pie, shopping and enjoying food and drink.

Nassau - go to Junkanoo beach and have some local conch cerveche. You can take a long walk or catch a cab.

Freeport is the toughest. But get out and take the 20 min cab ride to one of the beach resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Key west - use the hop on/off trolley. Ride to southern most point. If u want u can even get to a beach. But key west is about walking the town, having some pie, shopping and enjoying food and drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was looking at doing the trolley and had couple questions.

How long does it take to ride the whole loop? Is it easy to get on and back on or are the trolleys full? How often do they go by each stop? The good news is we are the only ship scheduled for port the day we are there

Was looking at doing the trolley and had couple questions.

How long does it take to ride the whole loop? Is it easy to get on and back on or are the trolleys full? How often do they go by each stop? The good news is we are the only ship scheduled for port the day we are there

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34345-d560986-Reviews-Old_Town_Trolley_Tours_Key_West-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

We are doing this itinerary this summer and researching as well. From sounds seems like Freeport you must go do an excursion otherwise it sucks which I am assuming is similar to Jamaica

Absolutely not! Grand Bahama Island is beautiful, BUT you have to leave the port area of Freeport itself. We usually rent a car and drive to the many national parks around the island. One of our favorite stops is at Lucayan National Park, where there is Gold Rock Beach; void of crowds, and the beach is absolutely pristine. Also the park has one of the longest underwater cave systems in the world.

Do a Google search about the Eco system and the national park; you will be amazed!

As I posted above, there is a lot to see on Grand Bahama Island; you just have to leave the Freeport area itself. Rent a car and visit the many national parks on the Island. Grand Lucayan National Park has a unique underwater cave system; one of the longest in the world. There you will also find Gold Rock Beach, where the water is so clear and pristine.

Do Google research and you will be impressed.

Don't do the glass bottom boat in Key West. It was a waste of time for us. We waited in line for approximately an hour and then saw nothing. I really want to go back to walk the town as it is very pretty and so much to see. Have some key lime pie while you are there, it is the best.

Yes! I can't believe I forgot to add this. Gotta have Key Lime Pie in Key West! Bucket list item check-off. Haha.. We did. It was delicious. :)

We did this itinerary on the Dream about a year and a half ago. We are beach people too and did not book one excursion through Carnival.

In Key West, we walked down Whitehead (I believe) all the way to The Southernmost point then over to Duval St and back up Duval. We stopped and toured Hemingway's house, saw the little lighthouse, took advantage of photo ops at Southernmost point, mile marker 0, etc. We stopped long enough to dip our feet in the water at their very small "beach" not far from southern most point. We hit several shops along Duval St, stopped for Key Lime Pie on a stick at Kermit's, had a drink at Margaritaville, enjoyed some food at the famous Sloppy Joe's, popped in and had a drink at Garden of Eden bar. They have a clothing optional floor which I had no interest in, but hubby popped into for just a few minutes....long enough to see an old man naked I guess! Yuck! It was a good day....lots of walking. In retrospect, next time I think I would rent bikes near the port for the day. I think they were about $15-20 a day. It was walkable but definitely a lot of it. The worst part was the humidity!

In Nassau, we walked to and hit some shops including the straw market. It was mostly cheap stuff we weren't interested in. (Apparently you didn't se some of the high end shops vvery near the exit, entrance to the dock. I love the Fendi Boutique, Gucci, Little Switzzand I think there is Solomon's mines or someththing like that. :)

)
Walked down to Junkanoo beach. Decided we weren't interested in spending the day there so took a taxi over to Paradise Island. We entered the public beach on the path beside RUI and hung out at the beach for a couple of hours. Be advised there are groves of folks trying to sell things from tshirts, hats, souvenirs to banana boat rides, jet ski rentals, etc. Hard to relax. If you want some peace, walk far to the right away from most of the people and they will leave you alone for the most part.
In Freeport, we took a taxi to Port Lucaya and paid $20 of $30 each (can't remember) for access to the Grand Lucayan resort. We enjoyed their fabulous pool and spent some time at the beach. Also did some shopping across the street at Port Lucaya. Plenty of shops and places to eat nearby. Should we ever return to Freeport, next time we will try Junkanoo Beach Club. $3 entry fee, $5 beach chair rental and access to food and facilities. Others from our ship seemed to enjoy their day there.

We managed to have a great time at these ports without dropping hundreds of dollars in excursions! Have a great time!!

Key West is my favorite port followed by Nassau. The HOHO in Key West is wonderful. You I have done it three times. There is a vendor market at the pier. The locals can be pushy but some cool stuff. You can catch a shuttle from your ship to the market. Out of the market you can catch a taxi for around $5, they are government regulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Key West. My son-in-law was stationed there when my Grandson was born. We've done all the usual tourist spots but when we were there in December on a cruise, we hit all the tourist spots again and had a blast. We hit Sloppy Joe's for lunch and had a side of conch fritters, then of course we had to have Key Lime Pie. We hit a few of the shops. The entire loop probably takes about an hour but we always get off a few times and shop...and EAT. Key West is not a good spot for going to a beach. You can't go wrong with Mel Fisher museum, Hemingway House, Truman House, Botanical Garden, and of course seeing the Southernmost point for a photo op. We walked around on our own in Nassau last time but I might have used a taxi if it had been any later than December. It was HOT and we were walking uphill. I hate walking uphill and I hated my family reminding me that the walk BACK would be downhill.