Question about Uber?

I have never used uber. However, I was considering using over to get to the port from the airport. How does that work? And at the end of my cruise will I be able to buy an uber back to the airport?

I didn't know if uber would be allowed in to drop me off or pick me up?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never used uber. However, I was considering using over to get to the port from the airport. How does that work? And at the end of my cruise will I be able to buy an uber back to the airport?

You can do all. We have only done drop off st the port, but I asked our driver and he said it was not an issue.

I know that there have been issues in the past with Uber being banned from certain airports. Does anyone have a current status of that? Do all the airports near all US cruise ports now allow Uber?

I know that there have been issues in the past with Uber being banned from certain airports. Does anyone have a current status of that? Do all the airports near all US cruise ports now allow Uber?

All clear now in Broward and Dade counties (Fort Lauderdale and Miami).

Uber is great! Super easy to use and all payment is done through the app so no money needs to change hands.

That being said, uber will assign a particular driver to come pick you up at the port. Although you can message/call each other through the app, it may be hard for you and the driver to find eachother.

When I cruised out of port everglades last year we took an uber to drop us off at the ship, and just grabbed a cab after disembarking to take us to FLL, because of the hundreds of cabs they had waiting and difficulty of finding our one particular driver in the chaos of the port. Cab was $20 flat rate, so we probably paid more than uber would have cost, but it was much easier.

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

We are not Uber users (we are Team #DeleteUber for several reasons) but are avid Lyft users - Lyft is slightly cheaper even than Uber and allows in-app tipping. We found that at Port Everglades, ridesharing companies cannot pick up or drop off in the commercial-vehicles area (where taxis are) unless the driver has a hack license officially known as a chauffeur's registration. Our driver there told us that many rideshare drivers elect to get the certification because they are allowed more places in Florida as a licensed commercial driver. Still many do not so if you are being picked up in Fort Lauderdale it's best to set your pickup in the Personal Vehicles area so that any driver can get you. Port of Miami has no such restriction.

Also, all paid pickups, whether rideshare or cab, have a $2 origination fee tacked onto the bill when leaving from either port, and every ride into or out of the airports have a fee added - $2 for MIA and $3 for FLL.

We've never had an issue finding the "one car" especially now that many Lyft cars have a light-up dashboard beacon that changes to match the color shown in your app, so if we see green on the bottom of the app, we know to look for a green beacon on the car dashboard, plus we always have the make/model/color/plate of the vehicle as well as a photo of the driver in our app. Makes things super easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uber is great! Super easy to use and all payment is done through the app so no money needs to change hands.

That being said, uber will assign a particular driver to come pick you up at the port. Although you can message/call each other through the app, it may be hard for you and the driver to find eachother.

When I cruised out of port everglades last year we took an uber to drop us off at the ship, and just grabbed a cab after disembarking to take us to FLL, because of the hundreds of cabs they had waiting and difficulty of find

ing our one particular driver in the chaos of the port. Cab was $20 flat rate, so we probably paid more than uber would have cost, but it was much easier.

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

FYI All cabs at PE and FLL are metered and there are no flat rates. If your driver tells you it's a flat rate you should just get out and get a legit cab.

Uber is great and easy to sure. As another poster said Lyft is another option.

Just put the app on your phone.

First time users usually get a coupon for a discount.

Next time I would list the port and airport on your post.

Keith

Both Uber and Lyft are similar and competing apps. Both operate in a similar fashion and are easy to use from your phone.

Before riding plug in credit card info. When you are ready to ride enter your pickup info and the app will give you details about your pickup. How soon, type of car, driver info.

No problem using Uber to and from Port Everglades. Be sure you know your cruise terminal, as the driver will not.

Both Uber and Lyft offer first time riders a discount with a code. If you need one, my Uber code is 6y3g9. Both of us get $15 off our next ride.

They are a handy and inexpensive way to get around.

Enjoy.

Neal

I have a question about Uber. Is their fee based on per person or just where you're going. We're having a hard time figuring out how to get from our Orlando hotel to our Cocoa Beach hotel the night before the cruise. Then their is a worry that if we have a driver who's car isn't so big, where will we put all of our luggage. We're a family of 4, so its not like there would be a ton, but we'll have 4 large suitcases and maybe a couple of bags... Anyone used Uber from a Universal Hotel to a Cocoa Beach hotel? If so, how was it? What was the ballpark price you paid for it?

I have a question about Uber. Is their fee based on per person or just where you're going. We're having a hard time figuring out how to get from our Orlando hotel to our Cocoa Beach hotel the night before the cruise. Then their is a worry that if we have a driver who's car isn't so big, where will we put all of our luggage. We're a family of 4, so its not like there would be a ton, but we'll have 4 large suitcases and maybe a couple of bags... Anyone used Uber from a Universal Hotel to a Cocoa Beach hotel? If so, how was it? What was the ballpark price you paid for it?

You'll want to order an UberXL or a Lyft Plus. They are for 6 passengers and are usually SUVs. Plenty of room for you and your luggage. A bit more expensive but you pay by the ride, not by the passenger.

I use this site to get an estimate on my Lyft rides. https://estimatefares.com

You'll want to order an UberXL or a Lyft Plus. They are for 6 passengers and are usually SUVs. Plenty of room for you and your luggage. A bit more expensive but you pay by the ride, not by the passenger.

I use this site to get an estimate on my Lyft rides. https://estimatefares.com

THANKS!! You are a life saver. Is Lyft a pretty reliable company?

THANKS!! You are a life saver. Is Lyft a pretty reliable company?

Very. For most drivers the rideshares are a side hustle and not a main job, but they take it VERY seriously and are fiercely devoted to their ratings (please make sure you rate your driver and ride) and will generally treat their riders very well. We've had drivers who will let us play our own music on their stereos, provide phone chargers, and cold bottled water on rides. When my husband had to fly out of town in sub-freezing temperatures (that our region is NOT used to) one cab company cancelled his ride and a second one wouldn't take his request. A Lyft driver made it into our snowbound neighborhood and got him to his flight. Made a giant tip.

All that said, I hadn't realized how far apart Cocoa Beach and Orlando are - you're looking at a ride of an hour or more. That likely won't be an issue but please inform your driver that you have a long drive planned - if a driver is nearing "quitting time" then it may not be convenient and the driver may ask you to cancel your request and resubmit it. No big deal - I live outside a major city and I get that it's occasionally not easy for a driver to go so far out of his/her way to take me home. I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a new ride.

In your situation a rideshare probably wouldn't be my number one choice - I'd probably stay in Orlando one more night and on cruise day go back to the airport and use a shuttle service like this one: http://www.cbshuttle.com/cocoa-beach-rates.htm that would take us direct to the port.

If you do decide on a rideshare between the two cities, then just be understanding and patient - you will find a driver willing to make the trip sooner rather than later. Many drivers actually like the longer trips because they know for that hour they are getting paid - sometimes a driver can wait for a long time before getting a rider. You can increase your chances of a first-response ride by not going too late in the day, and not too close to the noon hour when some drivers are itching for a meal break.

Riding Lyft has been really fun for me - I've met some interesting drivers, such as a mom trying out working outside the home while her kids are in school, a young man trying to make it in major-league soccer, and a woman running a tech summer day camp for young girls. The drivers are just regular people like you and me and they have cool and fascinating stories to share. Make the most of it!