What to do with the Art Galleries?

bepsf

Now that the Park West swindlers have been successfully driven off the HAL ships....

http://www.free-press-release.com/news/200903/1236802831.html

http://www.hagens-berman.com/parkwest

...what should HAL do with the revenue-generating Art Gallery space aboard their 14 ships?

IMO, this would be the perfect opportunity for HAL to sell their own artwork, similar to how Cunard does aboard their ships: When we were at the Eurodam christening in Rotterdam, they had reproductions of historical travel posters - They could sell these as well as signed prints of Captain Card's beautiful paintings, copies of black and white photography from the line's history and perhaps even quality reproductions of other artwork found aboard the ships.

I agree Brian....this is a great idea!

There was nothing wrong with the art "auctions" on the ships in terms of product...it was/is the way the company was so misleading in its sales scams.

HAL could put the space to good profit making use....sell "art" that would be of interest to cruisers and collectors alike.

You guys, I suggested the same dam thing last week! I can't recall the thread; probably the one that announced the eventual departure of Park West from HAL. I suggested that the space be used for a classy HAL theme shop: real ship model kits and models, Captain Card prints, HAL history and art books, REAL gold logo jewelry, etc.

Oh well. My voice doesn't carry in a crowd, either. I'm going back to work now.

Mrs Muir (invisible, like Captain Gregg)

and they could have it decorated with HAL posters and art that the bartenders could take orders for and they could be shipped to you or delivered the last day like the DF liquor. Or expand the liquor dept from the shops.

You guys, I suggested the same dam thing last week! I can't recall the thread; probably the one that announced the eventual departure of Park West from HAL. I suggested that the space be used for a classy HAL theme shop: real ship model kits and models, Captain Card prints, HAL history and art books, REAL gold logo jewelry, etc.

I saw your post Mrs. Muir...So you are not completely invisible..This is the URL:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=946033&page=5

& it's post no. 85 everyone....Its a wonderful idea..

Cheers from Betty, who is often invisible, unless I do something wrong or my posts are screwed up, so join the crowd..LOL:)

Let's work on this.

On the R and S class ships -- the art gallery isn't that large of a space -- it is on the Promenade Deck -- just across from the Front Office and shore Excursion Desk. There isn't much space there to show a lot of paintings like Brian suggests.

The Wine Bar area is a waste if you ask me -- rarely is there anyone there!!! So maybe they can tear out the wine bar and extend the art gallery for Brian's idea.

But on the Vista and Signature class ships -- there is lots of space.

My hat's off to both Mrs. Muir and Brian, for a top-notch and creative concept. The art auctions have gotten a reallllllllllllly bad rap (deservedly, imho!) as exploitative, manipulative, deceptive, and intrusive. A gallery or shop with top-quality HAL-themed memorabilia offered for purchase (NOT competitively, to the highest bidder) would attract my interest. A couple of suggestions (both for men): how about a set of blazer buttons in gold with the HAL logo? or gold cufflinks and matching studs for the tux?

Great Idea. I would like to see more Capt Card work on the ship anyway. I would guarentee that it would be a winner.

Cheers from Betty, who is often invisible, unless I do something wrong or my posts are screwed up, so join the crowd..LOL:)

Betty, you are getting really good on your quotes now, we are pround of you:D

John

PS: glad all of your like the idea of buying more paintings. I myself would think something better could be created. What that is I don't have a clue yet, but give me the weekend:rolleyes:

John

Sorry guys but management already have other ideas. The art gallery will now be run by the same company that runs the Princess Fine Art Gallery.

Haven't been on Princess in years.

Tell us more about their "Fine Art Gallery" -- is it just another art gallery run by a different company doing the same thing as Park West?

Sorry guys but management already have other ideas. The art gallery will now be run by the same company that runs the Princess Fine Art Gallery.

Oh.... OK then, guess I won't have to think of any great ideas this weekend:o (lol)

as signed prints of Captain Card's beautiful paintings

Not a bad idea, these paintings & prints would definitely look great on the HAL ships, but how about bringing the old Java bar back with 'free' espresso's etc.

We've been collecting Holland America Line memorabilia off and on for over a dozen years.

What I'd really like to see is those giclee framed canvas prints of ships that they used to provide to travel agents. We have a couple and it's so hard to find more that aren't very faded.

(Also maybe some higher end 'Logo' stuff you can't get in the shops, like the beautiful Rosenthall china.)

EDIT - I see Petronillus was working this idea the same time I was. LOL.

Betty, you are getting really good on your quotes now, we are pround of you:D

John

PS: glad all of your like the idea of buying more paintings. I myself would think something better could be created. What that is I don't have a clue yet, but give me the weekend:rolleyes:

John

Thanks John I needed that! Cheers..:)Betty.

Oh No!...Can't we persuade the Powers to be to at least try Mrs. Muirs & Brians suggestion in some small corner..Please don't tell DH...He will kill me if I buy more Stuff...He keeps saying we have to get rid of some stuff..

LOL

Cheers..:)Betty

Archived