Poll: Should shorts be allowed in MDR on Casual Nights

Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code

• Yes (I am a man)
    • Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

It's the walking in part that puts me off my feed.

Breakfast and lunch must be traumatic.

You've cruised for some 40 years, do you recall first and second seating for breakfast and lunch; with doors closed! That's a tradition we can all do without:eek:

And again, there are people who want to push the casual to Windjammer. Sorry, we paid full fare too.

And again with people who can't eat by hairy legs, but only at dinner time.

Lot of people spending too much time worrying about other people. Enjoy your meal and leave everyone else alone.

To appease everyone, I wonder if the MDR could be divided up into a shorts and everybody else section?

All the people who want to dress down (and I don't mean from formal nights), can be placed on one level or to one side of the dining room and the rest who "meet" the dress code on the other.

That way everyone is happy. They get to wear what they want, dine in the dining room and no one is offended by what the other people at their table or nearby are wearing.

The shorts/very casual won't be made uncomfortable by the people wearing more clothing than they are at their table and the others won't be upset with the people wearing shorts at their table.

This could work under MTD. The maitre'd can direct traffic to the appropriate section based on the clothing in the party - one pair of shorts in your group and you are placed in the shorts section. You can even book ahead and say you are wearing shorts and your reservation will be in the appropriate section.

Just a thought....totally tongue-in-cheek

I like it. Similar to my suggestion in this (or one of the other dress code threads) for using the 3 level dining room for snobs, slobs, and hell if I care sections

and hell if I care sections

Thats the section I want. :) I may even be there in a tux. Couldnt care less what you or others wear though. Shorts wearing heathens are more than welcome at any table I set at.

Some people here give me the feeling that they do nothing on vacation but worry about what others do and wear. What a sad vacation and life that must be.

Dinner - Please note that swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, ball caps & pool wear are not allowed in the main dining room or specialty restaurants.

I think what's getting confused here, as it often does, is the rules vs suggested attire. What you posted are the rules. The suggested attire, which RCI does define under Smart Casual, etc, says long pants.

Sorry, I just thought I would clarify.

The poll isn't worded as being only for dinner and is in regards to RCI and not X.

Actually, it's quite clear since the poll asks the question: "Poll: Should shorts be allowed in MDR on Casual Night"

Most people would read 'Casual Night' as only being for dinner since dinner is the only meal served at night.

What I find interesting is the poll currently has 4 voting items. Notice how on the "No" answers the male and female votes are equal. Vs the Yes the males outweigh the females. I have realized that as a guy we are at a slight disadvantage. I typically cruise on hot sailings in the Caribbean. Even when I cruise in December after we get out of the port say on day 2 it warms up significantly. I get uncomfortable in pants unless the AC is really cranking. Women have the option to wear shorter dresses or skirts/skorts that look formal but men are forced into pants. We have no option for something shorter than pants given the current attire suggestions by the cruise line.

I think this is why the poll really is lopsided on the YES votes. Less women care about wearing shorts to the MDR because they have other reasonable options that fall within the suggested attire for casual or formal nights that men do not have.

This is why I voted for shorts in the MDR. I need some kind of cooler option. I'll still obey the rules/suggested attire and wear pants into the MDR but it would be nice to have the option of shorts in the MDR. I personally wouldn't wear cutoffs or basketball shorts into the MDR but some nice shorts made by a quality brand with my tommy bahama type shirts.

I think what's getting confused here, as it often does, is the rules vs suggested attire. What you posted are the rules. The suggested attire, which RCI does define under Smart Casual, etc, says long pants.

Not so much confused, I think, as a recent change, because until very recently, "short pants" were included in the "rules" of what is not permitted for evening in the dining room. That seems, at least in some instances, to have disappeared from the list of attire that is not permitted, though there is a statement indicating that shorts are acceptable for lunch in the MDR, leaving only the implication that they are not appropriate for dinner, but no rule against them.

284 out of 499 people do not believe others should be allowed to have, or can be trusted with choice. Of those 284, 143 of them are not affected at all as they have the option every night to wear a dress or skirt that provides as much comfort as shorts would for a man.

So, effectively, 141 out of 499 votes do not want to allow others to enjoy their vacations, yet they think they are the majority.

I've yet to read any reason at all why shorts should not be allowed. When asked for a reason it is dismissed with "Go to the windjammer you white trash slob!" Hardly a convincing argument at all. Then we are told we need to respect the grandeur of the room; the same room that 66% of the time shorts are allowed in. The room with the singing waiters and twirling napkins. Compromise has even been floated, to allow shorts on casual nights, but still hold a higher standard on formal evenings. NEIN! VERBOTEN! Then we are told that if shorts are allowed we are going to show up with gym shorts around our ankles and dirty wife beaters. Sorry, I don't turn into Honey Boo Boo when I change my clothing.

Cruising used to be a great way to meet new people at meal time. Now everyone wants to sit alone so they can judge and make comments about others. That is what is truly sad and pathetic.

Not so much confused, I think, as a recent change, because until very recently, "short pants" were included in the "rules" of what is not permitted for evening in the dining room. That seems, at least in some instances, to have disappeared from the list of attire that is not permitted, though there is a statement indicating that shorts are acceptable for lunch in the MDR, leaving only the implication that they are not appropriate for dinner, but no rule against them.

Are pants acceptable at breakfast or lunch? They aren't mentioned, leaving the implication they are not appropriate for breakfast or lunch, at least by using that logic.

I've yet to read any reason at all why shorts should not be allowed. .

Because hairy legs puts people off their feed! Didnt you read? Only at dinner time though ;)

Nice analysis though. You nailed it.

284 out of 499 people do not believe others should be allowed to have, or can be trusted with choice.

Nope. That's not even remotely close to the question you posed. A poll is very sensitive to the wording of the question, and the question here is "Should shorts be allowed?"; not "Should others be allowed to have, or be trusted with, choice?"

The latter is just your latest attempt to insult those who think differently than you. :cool:

Are pants acceptable at breakfast or lunch? They aren't mentioned, leaving the implication they are not appropriate for breakfast or lunch, at least by using that logic.

Actually, they ARE mentioned as being appropriate for lunch. That's what I stated.

What I find interesting is the poll currently has 4 voting items. Notice how on the "No" answers the male and female votes are equal. Vs the Yes the males outweigh the females. I have realized that as a guy we are at a slight disadvantage. I typically cruise on hot sailings in the Caribbean. Even when I cruise in December after we get out of the port say on day 2 it warms up significantly. I get uncomfortable in pants unless the AC is really cranking. Women have the option to wear shorter dresses or skirts/skorts that look formal but men are forced into pants. We have no option for something shorter than pants given the current attire suggestions by the cruise line.

I think this is why the poll really is lopsided on the YES votes. Less women care about wearing shorts to the MDR because they have other reasonable options that fall within the suggested attire for casual or formal nights that men do not have.

This is why I voted for shorts in the MDR. I need some kind of cooler option. I'll still obey the rules/suggested attire and wear pants into the MDR but it would be nice to have the option of shorts in the MDR. I personally wouldn't wear cutoffs or basketball shorts into the MDR but some nice shorts made by a quality brand with my tommy bahama type shirts.

Nicely stated. We were thinking very similar things at the same time. That is not to dismiss the opinion of women, but it is important to note that they already have an option that is functionally very similar to shorts (dresses and skirts).

284 out of 499 people do not believe others should be allowed to have, or can be trusted with choice. Of those 284, 143 of them are not affected at all as they have the option every night to wear a dress or skirt that provides as much comfort as shorts would for a man.

So, effectively, 141 out of 499 votes do not want to allow others to enjoy their vacations, yet they think they are the majority.

I've yet to read any reason at all why shorts should not be allowed. When asked for a reason it is dismissed with "Go to the windjammer you white trash slob!" Hardly a convincing argument at all. Then we are told we need to respect the grandeur of the room; the same room that 66% of the time shorts are allowed in. The room with the singing waiters and twirling napkins. Compromise has even been floated, to allow shorts on casual nights, but still hold a higher standard on formal evenings. NEIN! VERBOTEN! Then we are told that if shorts are allowed we are going to show up with gym shorts around our ankles and dirty wife beaters. Sorry, I don't turn into Honey Boo Boo when I change my clothing.

Cruising used to be a great way to meet new people at meal time. Now everyone wants to sit alone so they can judge and make comments about others. That is what is truly sad and pathetic.

I don't care if shorts are allowed in the main dining room or not, but would like to point out a couple of things I find wrong with your post.

If you're going to discount the no votes by women then you should also be discounting the yes votes. Turning your numbers to 142 out of 261 voting no to shorts. I think that is a majority.

You state that "cruising use to be a great way to meet new people at meal time". Since nothing has changed, it should still be a great way to meet new people at meal time.

You can beat the system just like the ladies if you like. Wear a kilt. There are no restrictions on them that I know about.

And once again I would like to point out that in a previous post the stated to vote and leave the debate to another thread. Did you state this just for people that don't agree with you or will you finally stop debating on this thread and let everyone have thier opinion be heard without further comment from you trying to sway the vote.

I've yet to read any reason at all why shorts should not be allowed.

I think some people are just trying to hold on to what cruising used to be. I'm a casual type of guy myself, but I can't say I blame others who want to hold on to that evening atmosphere.

Why do you not call them out as well then? Because you must agree with them I suppose. Thats why?

Maybe I missed them. Could you kindly point me to some of the "disgusting comments" that I did not call out, and I'll be happy to oblige you. Certainly no one has called anyone else a "white trash slob" as Maxwell imagined above. I searched the thread for the word "slob" and it only came up in his and one other post, but both were pro-shorts people pretending that others were considering them to be slobs.

Edited by Paul65

I wouldn't mind a shorts option on casual night. But then people would wear all sorts of shorts, maybe 'too' casual if you can say that.

On one cruise we were at a large table and on formal night, 3 of the young adult males came straight from the basketball court in their shorts for dinner. It bothered me because it seemed disrespectful of the other diners. If shorts were allowed, yes, I think we would get more of this.

But overall I think we are moving towards a more casual experience dress-wise, and I don't mind that. You can still look nice if you want to.

These are big ships. There will always be someone annoying onboard.