NCL Gem 2017-11-11 Cancelled

bronzey214

For everyone on the canceled 11/11/2017 NCL Gem Cruise out of Manhattan, save all your receipts for any and ever thing you pay for out of your pocket. Meals, lodging, transportation, air fare, parking fees, etc. With out the receipts to copy and turn in, there is no hope for any kind of a refund. We were on the NCL Pride of America delayed from dry dock out of San Francisco, back to Hawaii in March 2016. NCL told us up front they were only going to pay for certain things. But things changed. Write them a personal letter explaining the reason for all your receipts. That is what we did. Everything was handled on an individual cabin by cabin basis, though. No receipts - no refunds. It took NCL months to settle up, but they came through. NCL doesn't want a "ship load" of unhappy cruisers. I hate to say this, but this would have been a good cruise to have invested in a travel insurance policy.

It seems fair to me. The best thing about half off a future cruise is you can be less price sensitive. I usually look for the cheaper weeks but with that you could book a more expensive week or a higher category and get more back than if it had been a fixed dollar amount.

It seems fair to me. The best thing about half off a future cruise is you can be less price sensitive. I usually look for the cheaper weeks but with that you could book a more expensive week or a higher category and get more back than if it had been a fixed dollar amount.

I think by what it says on the letter it is half off what they paid for the 11th cruise so it is a set amount not half off the cruise they pick

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think by what it says on the letter it is half off what they paid for the 11th cruise so it is a set amount not half off the cruise they pick

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is correct. And it must be on a new booking - it can not be applied to an existing future booking without cancelling and re-booking. NCL should absolutely provide the credit to those on the Nov. 11th sailing who rebooked for this weekend. Submit a claim form via the web site asking for the credit to be refunded to your credit card.

Edited by herdingdogmom

I was booked on this cruise also. Called last evening and was told the perks would not carry over. I am losing my double points for booking more than 9 months out. Very disappointed about this. Working on rescheduling to a new date.

I don't necessarily have an issue with the level of compensation they've offered but their refusal to grant people the same perks as their original cruise is terrible. I agree with the previous poster who noted that these perks don't cost much to NCL, and since this is their mechanical issue they should be willing to help the people affected.

And also, there are people who sail from NY to avoid flying with kids, and this would be a nightmare if you weren't prepared to fly (we bring plane toys, and iPads to keep our kids happy)

I called NCL to rearrange to take the breakaway for this Sunday and the only thing they had was the gty balcony. You lose out of all the perks, like the UBP and specialty dining with the gty. The UBP is another $1,500 for the week plus gratuity at 18% and the special dining. May have to plan for a different week. This was my 50th birthday cruise. So I'm pretty bummed out.

:cool:

The 50% off is 50% of what you paid for this cruise which if you booked last minute is 50% of not much and I very much doubt it includes the port charges/taxes as they do not go to the cruise line.

I booked a solo OV for a client yesterday afternoon for under $700...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's a good thing for most people since the cancelled cruise is a long cruise which might cost more than a shorter cruise. If I had paid $10000 for the cruise and got a $5000 credit for my next cruise I should think that was a good compensation.

Of course it´s not as good for someone who has paid $700 for the Cruise.

Give me a break.

Do you really think a BBB complaint means anything?

Nope.

You've a lot to learn. I got exactly what I asked for and thensome not 3 hours after I filed the complaint and nothing for hours before that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Edited by ProblemCruiser

Thanks. I was pretty much attacked and told to suck it up by the myriad retirees on here who don't care about changing travel plans because they don't work. Cancelling your bingo game is a hell of a lot easier than rescheduling time off of work.

I was also told to think about the millions that NCL will lose. I searched my pockets for all the ****s and couldn't find them. They did 2 billion in q1 of this year. Sorry. Not sorry at all.

<snip>

I'm one of those myriad retirees. Bingo isn't my game, though. :) Every time my least favorite airline manages to take off about 3-4 hours late I get a LITTLE snippet of what all the people who are booked on this cruise must be experiencing. I believe most people don't cruise off for a week+ anywhere without making lots of arrangements and doing some planning. For me, lots of planning, but I do enjoy that. And, if they are like me, they have expectations (warranted or not) of having a good time. I know I would be disappointed and no doubt a little angry at that situation.

Your post reminds me that telling someone to suck it up when they are upset, isn't particularly helpful. Particularly when it is done through the cold medium of typing in a public community board. Recently, when a friend died, another acquaintance told me to get over it...it must be God's will. I wanted him to meet his maker right then although I resisted saying it or doing anything that would have resulted in non-recreational handcuffs.

I hope NCL can make this right for everyone. I am sorry for everyone who has been affected by the Gem's issue.

Thank you for understanding. It's hard for us working stiffs to get time ;-)

No one checks the BBB before they book with a multi billion dollar company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did not check before, but I certainly checked after I got screwed and filed a complaint. It worked out for me with this company and many others.

I don't think that's what people said or meant, I know I didn't.

I'm sorry for you but compared to the trouble this is causing for people having to fly to New York for the cruise your problems are small.

Do I understand it right that you will get all money back and your next NCL cruise for half the price? That sounds like a good deal to me.

I understand that you should prefer to be able to go on the cruise but when that's not an option, half price on next cruise really isn't too bad.

No. We get 1/2 the cruise price we paid on the Canceled cruise. I'm sorry you don't get that we have one vacation a year together or that to get this precious little time that we had to plan months (almost a year) in advance with our employers and plan childcare. If you think it's impressive to be refunded on a service or product that has not been provided, you need legal assistance. At the end of the day, you're clearly not bound by the same time restraints. We cannot simply book just any old time.

Sitting in a hotel in Niagra Falls enjoying holiday, looking forward to going to New York tomorrow. Just heard the Gems cancelled so looks like I'm spending time and money on my mobile tomorrow calling my UK tour op.

Wonder how long until we get our money back from NCL!!

FEEL SICK

Either Friday or Monday. If you need NYC advice, let me know. I've got the inside track ;-)

They may not be able to fly back without a passport. When you do your online booking, when you choose birth certificate another box pops up that states there would be a problem getting back into the US. Wwo, I am at a loss for words....(rarely happens)!

What's up: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-to-do-if-you-lose-your-passport-abroad-2015-10

That said, I would contact the airport and see if they'll let it slide. It's rare, but sometimes they do and this is especially if you have global entry or precheck.

What's up: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-to-do-if-you-lose-your-passport-abroad-2015-10

That said, I would contact the airport and see if they'll let it slide. It's rare, but sometimes they do and this is especially if you have global entry or precheck.

This is a slightly different situation these people chose not to have a passport not that they lost or had one stolen. If they had one they would like the rest of us travel with it... it comes up on these boards all

the time people who say they don't need one and don't intend to pay the money for a passport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone else feel like a full refund, 50% off a future cruise (base fare only and not including any admin fees etc. , I'm sure) and a $300.00 airline credit p/p (if you booked airfare) simply isn't enough? My wife and I get one vacation per year where we can go at the same time and booked this 11-day timeshare presentation with food, taking 7 days off of work in the process each. I've staffed, delegated and prepared all of my employees for all contingencies/issues and my wife has done the same. The only options now after they told us 5 days before the cruise is one 9 day leaving out of New Orleans which has flights totaling around $2,500+ total and we'd still have to do hotels and connections in order to make it work (there's a Hawaii one but I don't even want to think about the costs for that one). It just seems to me like they should offer more like additional airline credit so we can take another vacation to make up for the one we planned many months ago. That pathetic sales presentation in the end of the "sorry, not sorry" note really pissed me off, too. They should just be giving the "free at sea" over this. I also noticed they sent the notice out at 5PM right when Guest Services (the people who issue the 50% off) closes and don't think that was by accident at all.

amazing, I was just waiting for someone to say:"I WANT MORE" What would you have liked? Of course people are disappointed for good reason, but there are worse things in life. When something like this happenes, we have to make the best of it and find an alternative. I think what was offered is quite generous. No, nothing will cover all expenses, but make another plan, don't let this ruin your vacation and understand there are many people that are being affected. Most of them will be just fine, a few will continue to complain. good luck. As for the announcement being made just prior to closing, I think you are right, it wasn't an accident, but it was a pretty smart move for everyone.It gave those affected time to somewhat adjust and it gave the gurst services time to prepare for the influx of calls that they will need to handle.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I don't necessarily have an issue with the level of compensation they've offered but their refusal to grant people the same perks as their original cruise is terrible. I agree with the previous poster who noted that these perks don't cost much to NCL, and since this is their mechanical issue they should be willing to help the people affected.

And also, there are people who sail from NY to avoid flying with kids, and this would be a nightmare if you weren't prepared to fly (we bring plane toys, and iPads to keep our kids happy)

I agree. I also keep wondering why all their statements throw in the marketing lines about the promotions. Some people had better promos when they booked vs. what is being offered now.

And it is a "Technical" issue not "Mechanical" so maybe that means it is software related not actual moving parts but who knows.

The other thing is they are staying at Barbados. I'm thinking that is so they can find a near drydock but I'm only guessing.

I think that's a good thing for most people since the cancelled cruise is a long cruise which might cost more than a shorter cruise. If I had paid $10000 for the cruise and got a $5000 credit for my next cruise I should think that was a good compensation.

Of course it´s not as good for someone who has paid $700 for the Cruise.

Based on past experience, it is 50% of what you paid for the cruise excluding the ancillary charges like port fees and taxes.

No. We get 1/2 the cruise price we paid on the Canceled cruise. I'm sorry you don't get that we have one vacation a year together or that to get this precious little time that we had to plan months (almost a year) in advance with our employers and plan childcare. If you think it's impressive to be refunded on a service or product that has not been provided, you need legal assistance. At the end of the day, you're clearly not bound by the same time restraints. We cannot simply book just any old time.

Are you saying that you only get half your money back? If that´s correct I really agree with you that it´s too little. I thought that you got everything back + 50 % as a credit for a future cruise.

One vacation a year together can be great even if you can't go on the planned cruise.

I never said that you don´t have reasons to be disappointed that your cruise is cancelled but I still think that compared to people who has to travel long to get to the cruise your problems are smaller.

If the cruise had been from Stockholm instead of from New York, your problems should have been bigger than mine.

I´m sorry for you but you haven´t booked any airline tickets and probably not a hotelroom either so it could have been worse.

How. How on earth do they charge $1,500 on a UBP for a 1 week cruise? That's $214 a day and debarkation day hardly counts! The rep had to have been wrong.

That amount was correct. For a 7 day cruise for 2, the UBP package is $89/pp per day plus 18% gratuity., You do the math - it comes out to $1,500 on top of the cruise cost itself. They definitely should have transferred those perks over but this is not how it works. It's considered a new booking. If they transferred them over I would have booked for the breakaway for Sunday. Still pretty upset about missing a nice 10-day vacation.

I agree. I also keep wondering why all their statements throw in the marketing lines about the promotions. Some people had better promos when they booked vs. what is being offered now.

And it is a "Technical" issue not "Mechanical" so maybe that means it is software related not actual moving parts but who knows.

The other thing is they are staying at Barbados. I'm thinking that is so they can find a near drydock but I'm only guessing.

I'm guessing is more Mechanical than any type of software issue. Azipod propulsion is wonderful, however in large and small ships and boats it can also be a nightmare. Its much more complicated and has many more moving parts compared to a straight shaft.