Kahului Maui to Lahaina by your own

Anna201213

Is it easy to grab a taxi from the port to Lahaina? POA have a transfer for Lahaina on your own but it is really expansive for 2 people. Does someone know how much it could cost by cab. I read that nothing to do in Kahului it is an industrial city

I checked with the Pacific Whale Foundation about pickup at the port and they said they do not do pick ups at the port and did recommend that we rent a car. If my memory serves me correct it was over $160 return for a taxi for the 2 of us (Lahaina Taxi Service).

We ended up renting a car for the day for $41.26 + gas and are splitting that with another couple for our upcoming cruise in Feb.

Edited by D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL

I also remember a quote of 160$ return taxi.

We had a rented car and it was a very straight and easy drive from the port to OLL.

But, then, we were lucky, because we parked overnight at the Mall without "dire consequences".

NOW, when renting a car, there is the added "complication" of where to park for the night... and how do u get back to ship.

I think that for 2 couples splitting the fare, it is worth the 160$ just for the peace of mind :)

• 1 month later...

Was the car rental agency within walking distance of the port? Which agency did you rent from and how far in advance did you have to make the arrangements? Was it easy driving there? Thanks. Been many places but never Hawaii so have lots of questions :)

Was the car rental agency within walking distance of the port? Which agency did you rent from and how far in advance did you have to make the arrangements? Was it easy driving there? Thanks. Been many places but never Hawaii so have lots of questions :)

The post you are replying to appears to imply the being docked at the Kahalui side of Maui. But there is also the Lahaina side, where you tender ashore. The rental car situations are different at each side.

As discussed here frequently, at Kahalui, you must shuttle to the main Maui airport, a short ride, not a walk. At Lahaina, you either taxi/shuttle 2/3s of the way to the West Maui airport, or all the way to the airport, depending on brand of rental. Definitely no walking. Much further.

The post you are replying to appears to imply the being docked at the Kahalui side of Maui. But there is also the Lahaina side, where you tender ashore. The rental car situations are different at each side.

As discussed here frequently, at Kahalui, you must shuttle to the main Maui airport, a short ride, not a walk. At Lahaina, you either taxi/shuttle 2/3s of the way to the West Maui airport, or all the way to the airport, depending on brand of rental. Definitely no walking. Much further.

We will be arriving in Lahaina on a Celebrity cruise with overnight in Maui. Are there any car rental agencies near to the port?

We will be arriving in Lahaina on a Celebrity cruise with overnight in Maui. Are there any car rental agencies near to the port?

As I mentioned in the post you quoted, no nearby rental agencies. The closest rental car agencies are about 10-15 minutes drive from where you come ashore.

There is a bus.

In Lahaina you get the bus by the cinema.

In Kahalui think by Whaler's Village but don't

remember for sure.

Just search on internet.

Before anyone does a search, do note that Whaler's Village is in Lahaina and not Kahului. In Kahului you can pick up the public bus at Queen Ka'ahumanu Center (check the County bus schedules for times).