Danube River Cruise with Viking

NH_Traveler

Hi we are from also, we are doing the Romantic Danube cruise leaving from Budapest, would you be on the same boat?:):):)

BucketlistOrBust,

We are considering this cruise as well. Sounds like an interesting itinerary,

Just wondering, where is also?

Regards.

I don't know which cruise you are on, but there are specific threads for every itinerary if you look for your cruise. There are maps at the reception desk you are welcome to take, but are not handed out.

Free time is “free time” and you are not told what to see. That being said, if you attend the daily pre-dinner briefing in the lounge and read the daily newsletter, there are listed highlights. You also can speak with the Program Director and/or concierge for advice. Also check the website for videos of top sights.

For someone who has been on this itinerary starting in Nuremburg - What time did you depart from Vienna. I am trying to plan the afternoon but it would help if I knew what time the boat set off for Budapest. Thanks,

For someone who has been on this itinerary starting in Nuremburg - What time did you depart from Vienna. I am trying to plan the afternoon but it would help if I knew what time the boat set off for Budapest. Thanks,

Schedules change for most any river cruise, even from trip to trip on the same ship. The rivers are so crowded now, and with the locks on the Danube and other rivers, the captains have to work with the master of the locks on scheduling. Add to that the influence of high/low water levels and it is best to be flexible on a river cruise. Even so, it is a most enjoyable way to travel and we loved our Budapest to Nuremburg trip.

This will be our first river cruise and I have a question. After the "included" tour are we given maps of the city we're visiting and suggested sites to see on our free time?

Thank you.

The front desk has maps of every port stop.

If you want more information, the concierge desk across the hall is a great place for help. Ours booked us bypass the ticket line tickets for Amsterdam museums. My 1st cruise I was clueless about these excellent services.

Do not be THAT GUY who forgets to turn in their ship passes upon returning and they delay departure looking for you. :)

On our 1st river cruise we waited over half an hour past departure while that couple ignored the every few minutes increasingly frantic paging as Viking searched for them before departing.

We did this itinerary last year and enjoyed it. It was our first river cruise. We hate to fly that far for just 7 days so we researched and booked Bucharest to Budapest prior to this one. We added a private precruise in Transylvania which turned out to be fabulous. We had an extra day in Budapest on our own which was great in addition to the three days there with the two cruises. So much to do there!

Favorite ports were Durnstein and the included trip to Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic from one of the Austrian ports. Family members didn't want to take the long day tour and paid to make bread or something like that. I didn't tell them they missed the very best included excursion on the itinerary!

If this is your first cruise, you have the advantage of not comparing it to ocean cruises. We have done many ocean cruises but last year was our first river cruise. River cruising is a lot more active than ocean cruising. Most included tours are walking tours and distances can be long.

We booked "aquarium class" on the lower deck. Family members paid more for the French balcony. You are gone during the day every day and return in time to get ready for dinner. By the time the presentation and dinner are over, it is usually dark. In ports ships are usually lashed together, making balconies of any kind pretty much unusable.

We also had a nice shelf in front of our high window which was great for storage and drying clothes I had to wash out.

I'd say follow the advice of several posters, and extend your holiday, whether it be on your own (use Trip Advisor to find out what your must-sees are) or the cruise line extensions.

Enjoy!

We did this itinerary last year and enjoyed it. It was our first river cruise. We hate to fly that far for just 7 days so we researched and booked Bucharest to Budapest prior to this one. We added a private precruise in Transylvania which turned out to be fabulous. We had an extra day in Budapest on our own which was great in addition to the three days there with the two cruises. So much to do there!

Favorite ports were Durnstein and the included trip to Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic from one of the Austrian ports. Family members didn't want to take the long day tour and paid to make bread or something like that. I didn't tell them they missed the very best included excursion on the itinerary!

If this is your first cruise, you have the advantage of not comparing it to ocean cruises. We have done many ocean cruises but last year was our first river cruise. River cruising is a lot more active than ocean cruising. Most included tours are walking tours and distances can be long.

We booked "aquarium class" on the lower deck. Family members paid more for the French balcony. You are gone during the day every day and return in time to get ready for dinner. By the time the presentation and dinner are over, it is usually dark. In ports ships are usually lashed together, making balconies of any kind pretty much unusable.

We also had a nice shelf in front of our high window which was great for storage and drying clothes I had to wash out.

I'd say follow the advice of several posters, and extend your holiday, whether it be on your own (use Trip Advisor to find out what your must-sees are) or the cruise line extensions.

Enjoy!

Nice report.

We are considering Viking for our first river cruise. Thinking of the 15 day cruise.

Re: Aquarium class cabin.:

Are you at or below the water line?

Is the cabin smaller than a balcony or French balcony cabin?

How do you look out the window? Can you stand on a chair, or on your.bed?

Thank you.

window was right at eye level for Mrs and me ... with no standing on the bed

she is 5'6" and I 6'

(on a 'longship')

the bottom of the window is pretty close to waterline .... or in other words, ducks and swans could easily peek in so close those curtains!!!!!

The aquarium and veranda rooms are the same square footage. The French balconies are smaller.

Are you sure about that? VR's UK site lists Longship cabin sizes as:

French Balcony 135 sq ft

Aquarium 150 sq ft

Veranda 205 sq ft

Veranda Suite 275 sq ft

Explorer Suite 445 sq ft

I think if you check the veranda square footages include the balcony. When you subtract it out, they and the aquarium end up being the same size. At least that is what I remember (but could definitely be wrong) from my research before our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second most everything the PPers have suggested. Here are a couple of other thoughts;

Look into booking your own hotel at either end - we saved significant dollars by doing so. We did the opposite direction from you so we spent a few days in Salzburg and then took the train to Passau. (We wanted to spend the time in Munich but there was a HUGE convention going on and hotels were crazy priced - like $500 a night for a bad hotel!). At the end of the cruise, we stayed in a beautiful hotel in Budapest for a few days again at a significant savings over what Viking offered with their extension. The difference at both ends was that we had to arrange our own transportation to and from the airport/boat. Finding the boat in Passau was easy....I might have some concerns doing so in Budapest as there are sooooo many boats there. But I am sure some others will come along that can advise you on that.

We enjoyed the cruise and my biggest complaint was Viking's refusal/inability to provide a better idea of times in ports or to even follow the general times they do provide before the cruise. We were traveling with another couple so the four of us each took two ports and researched options for our free time there. I had some town along the way where the Viking info said we would arrive after lunch, have our included city tour, then dinner on board with departure late that evening "allowing time to explore after dinner on board". So I researched and found TripAdvisor's best dessert, plotted a route from the dock to the dessertry taking us by a couple of historic places....well don't cha know, we arrived before breakfast, had our tour and left while we were having lunch! Viking says it is due to the uncertainties of the locks and such...but I don't buy it, not being half a day off! LOL For a planner like me, not being able to plan was a disappointment.

While in Vienna, the conceirge announced a previously unmentioned trip to the market with the chef - it was free, you just had to pay for the subway ticket, which she bought and added to our on board account - 3 euros as I recall. It was a great afternoon! LOTS of tastings and very enjoyable. At the end, you could ride back with her and the chef or do as we did and explore some more and take the subway back by yourself, which was very easy.

In Budapest, I HIGHLY (can do so enough) recommend going to the Market. We arranged a market tour and cooking class which we really enjoyed. We also had a great meal in Budapest one evening at a TripAdvisor recommedation. The day we departed the ship, we went to the turkish baths and had a great soak.

Have a great time!

Was you trip to the Market in Budapest the optional Viking excursion (currently $49 pp) or did you go on your own? Also, in Vienna sounds like this was an impromptu excursion by Viking. Are the markets similar? thanks.

We did the market in Budapest as a combined market tour and cooking class privately. If you’d like info and contact info drop me an email to BigNCBear@aol.com

The market visit in Vienna was not publicized until the night before. We quickly signed up for this free excursion (with the exception of the subway ticket).

Both were great days during our cruise and I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice report.

We are considering Viking for our first river cruise. Thinking of the 15 day cruise.

Re: Aquarium class cabin.:

Are you at or below the water line?

Is the cabin smaller than a balcony or French balcony cabin?

How do you look out the window? Can you stand on a chair, or on your.bed?

Thank you.

We could always see daylight but it seemed like the ducks were swimming above us. You can stand on a chair and look out but I have to be really careful if I do that. I believe it is smaller...that should be on the website I'd think.

You will enjoy either cabin....just not in it long enough to justify the extra expense for us.

Was you trip to the Market in Budapest the optional Viking excursion (currently $49 pp) or did you go on your own? Also, in Vienna sounds like this was an impromptu excursion by Viking. Are the markets similar? thanks.

On the Bucharest to Budapest cruise, the market is part of the included city tour. It was not on our Budapest to Passau city tour nor was it offered as an excursion. We enjoyed our time there but I wouldn't call it a highlight of Budapest in my opinion only. The Jewish Quarter tour was #1 for me...learned so much. Szentendre was good. We did the baths but I wouldn't do that one again. The Hungarian horse farm/show was included on the first route and an optional excursion on Budapest to Passau. I'd rate it second to the Jewish tour. A different Szentendre tour was offered on the Budapest to Passau segment than on the first one so it's hard to rate that one for you. We didn't see markets in Vienna...not offered. Vienna was very crowded when we were there and my least favorite stop. That surprised me as it was one I was really looking forward to.

HokiePoq,

interesting that you went to Szentendre. I was under the assumption that Viking does not offer this. I enjoyed Szentendre, it is touristy but nevertheless feels still authentic. I recommend it if part of a tour with Viking.

I did not enjoy Vienna as much as I could have, the coffeeshop waiter had this "remember you are in famous Vienna and you are only a tourist" - attitude about him. My tour had a "German" focus that did not fully satisfy my architectural Vienna tour idea. But worst was the stench and the liquid I had to endure walking past the horses at the cathedral. The carriage horses in York, England, seemed to be better trained, there was no stench there. But Vienna is certainly fascinating, it is just that in my heart it will never ever gain a place. Budapest already has me wanting to come back...

NH_Traveler,

have a great cruise.

notamermaid

My wife and I are taking an 8 day Viking River Cruise on the Danube River departing from Budapest (1.5 days here before departure) and traveling on the Danube with a stop in the Slovak Republic, 3 stops in Austria (Vienna, Melk, and Linz) , and a final destination of Passua Germany. We travel in 2018 starting on May 29th flying out of Boston on Lufthansa. My wife and I are both retired and this will be our first trip to Europe and our first river cruise (actually our first aboard ship cruise). In the past, we have traveled frequently to Bermuda, the Caribbean, and Florida.

There are shore excursions at each stop and we have signed up for most of those available. We are wondering if others have taken this particular cruise and what your experience was like...both aboard ship (food, staff, accommodations, etc.), the land excursions (likes, dislikes and why), and reports of any issues with transfers. And certainly we would appreciate any other comments and suggestions about your experience with Viking and this particular cruise.

Thank you in advance to all who may respond.

Want to post on the 2018 Danube Waltz Roll Call? We have many posting there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2540491

HokiePoq,

interesting that you went to Szentendre. I was under the assumption that Viking does not offer this. I enjoyed Szentendre, it is touristy but nevertheless feels still authentic. I recommend it if part of a tour with Viking.

I did not enjoy Vienna as much as I could have, the coffeeshop waiter had this "remember you are in famous Vienna and you are only a tourist" - attitude about him. My tour had a "German" focus that did not fully satisfy my architectural Vienna tour idea. But worst was the stench and the liquid I had to endure walking past the horses at the cathedral. The carriage horses in York, England, seemed to be better trained, there was no stench there. But Vienna is certainly fascinating, it is just that in my heart it will never ever gain a place. Budapest already has me wanting to come back...

NH_Traveler,

have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Yes, Szentenre (never can get that spelling correctly) was offered on both of the cruises as an optional excursion. My Hungarian friend had told me not to miss it and that I could use our free day to do it with public transportation. I wasn't that brave so we took the optional excursion on the included hotel day in Budapest.

HokiePoq,

interesting that you went to Szentendre. I was under the assumption that Viking does not offer this. I enjoyed Szentendre, it is touristy but nevertheless feels still authentic. I recommend it if part of a tour with Viking...

notamermaid

Viking is offering Szentendre as an optional on the Budapest extension for our cruise.

We could always see daylight but it seemed like the ducks were swimming above us. You can stand on a chair and look out but I have to be really careful if I do that. I believe it is smaller...that should be on the website I'd think.

You will enjoy either cabin....just not in it long enough to justify the extra expense for us.

“Aquarium” level has the best with views of the swans. It’s hallway runs down the middle. As you can see on the website, the halls are off to the side on other levels. The “Aquarium” cabin would be larger than French balcony and smaller than overall Veranda Sq ft. Many, many cruisers live this level for its value. I think the best reason I read was they often get an extra cruise with the savings.