What is it like on the Viking Sky?

bellemere

It is a great ship.

We found the food good. There was always a choice that I liked and the staff was happy to mix and match!

The staff was professional and very friendly, all very appraochable from the Captain to the deckhand whom I asked what he was using to varnish the wooden handrail!. At the end of our three weeks we were sorry to say goodbye to staff. They seemed to really like each other and enjoy their jobs!!

We are hoping that more of the staff from the SKY will be chosen to open the SUN when we sail with Viking again in January! Some already knew they would be moving to the new ship.

We were on the same cruise with Dee and I have to say it was the best cruise ever. The staff was marvelous, everyone approachable, nobody seemed unhappy...our cabin was good (DV)..bathroom great! Only negative about the cabin is the closet next to the bed was awkward. We thought the food at all venues was really good. We ate at the World Cafe a lot more than we thought we would (so I didn't need as many nice clothes as I packed) as the food there was very good, varied, and several things made to order. We loved Manfredi's and ate there 7 times. The ship was well laid out and very easy to navigate. Explorer's Lounge and the spa pool ended up being our favorites. I did a review a week ago but they haven't notified me that it has been posted yet. We loved it so much that we booked Auckland New Zealand to Bali in 2019. We are cancelling our other trips and saving money for that. Loved it!

What's really amazing and frankly unusual about Viking's ocean ships is how consistent they are. There are three. They, IMHO, are equal in terms of quality of food, service, shore ex, entertainment, etc.

Looking forward to testing out Viking Sky in a few weeks but, honestly, don't expect any differences at all. And that's what is so special about the line.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

What's really amazing and frankly unusual about Viking's ocean ships is how consistent they are. There are three. They, IMHO, are equal in terms of quality of food, service, shore ex, entertainment, etc.

Looking forward to testing out Viking Sky in a few weeks but, honestly, don't expect any differences at all. And that's what is so special about the line.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

One might even say that Viking Ocean is the re-incarnation of the beloved Renaissance Cruises: eight innovative new-build ships, all essentially identical, offering a value price point for the level of service.

One might even say that Viking Ocean is the re-incarnation of the beloved Renaissance Cruises: eight innovative new-build ships, all essentially identical, offering a value price point for the level of service.

Re-incarnated and better than the original..

We were on the same cruise with Dee and I have to say it was the best cruise ever. The staff was marvelous, everyone approachable, nobody seemed unhappy...our cabin was good (DV)..bathroom great! Only negative about the cabin is the closet next to the bed was awkward. We thought the food at all venues was really good. We ate at the World Cafe a lot more than we thought we would (so I didn't need as many nice clothes as I packed) as the food there was very good, varied, and several things made to order. We loved Manfredi's and ate there 7 times. The ship was well laid out and very easy to navigate. Explorer's Lounge and the spa pool ended up being our favorites. I did a review a week ago but they haven't notified me that it has been posted yet. We loved it so much that we booked Auckland New Zealand to Bali in 2019. We are cancelling our other trips and saving money for that. Loved it!

We, too, are looking forward to sailing on the Sky 3/18. We have enjoyed Vikings river cruises and look forward to sailing on the the ocean with them!

Hope you don't mind a few more questions. Did you make your reservations for Manfredis prior to sailing? Did you eat in any other specialty restaurant? Do we have to make resenations for dinner in the main dining room ( there are 6 of us) or is it open seating like on the river cruise? I understand that use of the spa is free- what does that include?

Is the World Cafe buffet style?

I appreciate your help.

We, too, are looking forward to sailing on the Sky 3/18. We have enjoyed Vikings river cruises and look forward to sailing on the the ocean with them!

Hope you don't mind a few more questions. Did you make your reservations for Manfredis prior to sailing? Did you eat in any other specialty restaurant? Do we have to make resenations for dinner in the main dining room ( there are 6 of us) or is it open seating like on the river cruise? I understand that use of the spa is free- what does that include?

Is the World Cafe buffet style?

I appreciate your help.

Manfredi's is very popular so try to make a reservation before you go. Once you board, you can make more reservations. Same goes with Chef's Table, which serves a fixed menu, same menu three nights in a row. Make your reservation(s) in advance and then when you get on board you can check out the menus and make any changes--and book additional nights.

The MDR is not quite open-seating. No assigned seats but the head waiter will seat you. Reservation or no, everyone waits in line to be seated. You may request a specific area or kind of table if available. If you are a couple, you may be asked if you wish a table for two or if you wish to share a table with other couples. Even for a party of 6, reservations in the MDR should not be necessary but can be made, especially if you want a specific kind of table (round vs square) or if you find that you want to work with a specific server. However, if you are a party of 10 who always want to dine together, you will want a standing reservation for one of the 2 tables for 10.

there is usually a minimal wait for a table in the MDR unless a show or port talk finishes just before...the most we ever were told was 15 minutes , so we went to closest bar ordered a cocktail....and the table was ready before we returned!!!

World cafe is open seating and buffet style with separate stations....beverage service at the table.......sometimes crowded at peak lunch and breakfast times.

The spa is nice. It is co-ed. Good size warmish jetted pool.......6 person size hot tub. Large steam sauna and the small snow grotto room that did not have snow falling anytime we were there...rather frozen walls and icy frozen floors (make sure to wear provided rubber sandals so not to slip or freeze the soles of your feet). There is a shower with a bucket on a chain of cold water to dump on your head.

the area is quiet with no natural light. Lounge chairs maybe 10 and 4 stone curved lounging chairs.

The locker rooms men/women have a dry sauna and a cold dip pool and shower area. There are lockers with lovely robes and rubber sandals,towels and net disposable briefs. The lockers can be locked with your room key. If you choose you can wear the robe back to your stateroom and leave it with your dirty towels towels. The women's has a number of hairdryers and lotion etc. There is also an appliance that quickly rings out a wet suit.

off topic but amusing the public lady's restrooms have twittering bird sounds. Every restroom I entered was immaculate!

Dee, I loved the public restrooms! I miss those birds! And the cloth towels to dry your hands....I never saw any sign in a public restroom that anyone had even used it, that's how clean they were!

Dcruisers, to answer your question, no, we did not eat in any other alternative restaurant besides Manfredi's. We were eligible for one reservation online before the cruise, and we made that for the first night with our friends. On the first night we asked the maitre'd when we could come back. We just went with the times that they gave us and checked frequently. You can also make reservations for Manfredi's at the entrance to the World Cafe that is on the port side. It is easier to make a reservation if you have more than 2 people, there are more reservations available for tables of 4 and 6. We did not eat at the Chef's Table as none of the menus appealed to us (we are not seafood eaters).

The World Cafe is buffet style but there are items that are made to order. At lunch I would order chicken breast and they cooked that to order. They also cooked prawns. They had pasta of the day that was cooked to order as well...some days 2 kinds of pasta of the day. This was on the port side of the World Cafe. At breakfast they do omelets and eggs to order, and Eggs Benedict to order, as well as waffles. At dinner you could get a steak cooked to order and some kind of seafood (sorry I don't remember what since I don't eat it, maybe salmon?) You could also go out to the Pool Grill and get a burger or onion rings, etc, and bring them into the World Cafe.

On the Sky right now heading for Helsinki. Everything so far is wonderful,extremely clean. Have been able to make reservations on board either at the reservation desk or using in room TV. Last night there was about a 30 person line for MDR as it was lobster night.

On the Sky right now heading for Helsinki. Everything so far is wonderful,extremely clean. Have been able to make reservations on board either at the reservation desk or using in room TV. Last night there was about a 30 person line for MDR as it was lobster night.

Are you on the Homeland Cruise? Curious about the excursions. Do you have to choose an early or late dinner time in the MDR?

Lobster night sounds like a hit in the MDR.

Seeing I had take out chinese food tonight, think 1950's style chow mein, I will be happy to stand in line for lobster on my upcoming cruise.:D

Are you on the Homeland Cruise? Curious about the excursions. Do you have to choose an early or late dinner time in the MDR?

Yes on Homelands we did the included tour today in Helsinki,it is mostly a bus tour with a couple of stops were you get off the bus. We stayed downtown and took the shuttle back to the Sky. When I booked only afternoon tour was available but we went down for the first morning tour and they were able to let us on. We are doing tours with private companies for St. Petersburg and Tallinn. If any other question I will try to answer.

Yes on Homelands we did the included tour today in Helsinki,it is mostly a bus tour with a couple of stops were you get off the bus. We stayed downtown and took the shuttle back to the Sky. When I booked only afternoon tour was available but we went down for the first morning tour and they were able to let us on. We are doing tours with private companies for St. Petersburg and Tallinn. If any other question I will try to answer.

Thanks for this strategy 'tip'. I just wished it had been posted before our cruise. Helsinki was a bit of a disappointment for us and part of that had to do with the scheduling. Afternoon was all that was left when we could make reservations and due to the docking port, a lot of time was lost in transport back and forth, going to town before excursion and getting back to ship in time for excursion.

Do you have to choose an early or late dinner time in the MDR?

No, there are no seating times in the MDR and reservation are not necessary unless perhaps you want a specific table or specific server. When you are ready for dinner, just head on down. Some nights you will encounter a line and other times not. The MDR vibe is different on each cruise, so it is hard to say when is the best time head down there; it changes from night to night. However, if you are going to the show at 9pm, you should be seated by 7:30 pm so you won't feel rushed during dinner, which is designed to be a leisurely affair.

Thanks for responding! How did you get around in Stockholm? Please share what you did that day and how you did it--if you don't mind. I've been concerned about how to maneuver there since it's hard for my friend to walk long distances.

No, there are no seating times in the MDR and reservation are not necessary unless perhaps you want a specific table or specific server. When you are ready for dinner, just head on down. Some nights you will encounter a line and other times not. The MDR vibe is different on each cruise, so it is hard to say when is the best time head down there; it changes from night to night. However, if you are going to the show at 9pm, you should be seated by 7:30 pm so you won't feel rushed during dinner, which is designed to be a leisurely affair.

Thanks for the good information --especially about getting to dinner with time to enjoy the dinner before the show. I assume you just show up for the show and if the theater is full, you miss the show.

Good to know--I haven't discovered a "must see" there so will just walk around. What about Stockholm --how did you get around, what did you do? I've been concerned about stop since we don't dock there until 9:00 a.m. ( If to take the included tour or go straight to Vasa, etc.)