PVP Capabilities

Life_Traveler

I have never used a PVP and not sure if i even have one assigned to me. However, I am now thinking of taking a B2B2B2B on the Legend next fall. I want to take the last Alaska cruise, Then take it to Hawaii, then on to Sydney and then take the first cruise in Sydney. However, part way through this cruise it switches from a Regular Carnival cruise to an Australia cruise and as everyone knows this is a different web page. So i am trying to figure out if its time to use a PVP so that i can try and get the same room on all 4 cruises. So what i guess i am asking is if the carnival PVP can book both US and Australia cruises or am i forced to use a TA for this. I dont want to use a TA if at all possible as it will take away my abilities to deal with Carnival on any issues in the future. Also does anyone know if Carnival can actually link cruises between the two.

If you do a quick Google for Carnival, you should get an 800 number you can call and ask for a PVP. I am sure most will be able to accommodate your concerns.

Definitely ask for a PVP, not a regular call center employee. A PVP will work with you much better and be able to help you much more.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but I don't think you'll be able to do the Alaska leg and also the Hawaii leg because of the PVSA law. Usually at the end of the Alaska season the last cruise will start in Seattle and end in Vancouver BC. Then Vancouver BC to Hawaii and even though this is 2 separate cruises I believe it is considered 1 cruise from Seattle to Honolulu from the PVSA perspective. And since it's transporting you from 1 us port to another US port without visiting a distant foreign port I believe it isn't allowed . Canada isn't considered a distant foreign port only a foreign port.

I believe the Honolulu to Sydney leg and then also the Australia leg are both handled via Carnival Australia. The leg from Vancouver to Hawaii would be Carnival USA.

... since it's transporting you from 1 us port to another US port without visiting a distant foreign port I believe it isn't allowed . Canada isn't considered a distant foreign port only a foreign port.

Journeys to Hawaii from Long Beach nip into Ensenada as a foreign port to comply with the Jones Act. It is not that distant from the US. Is Vancouver BC somehow different?

This 1920 law was originally passed to ensure US Merchant Marines were employed on ships moving between US ports. This law has long outlived its usefulness as it has made shipping between US ports very expensive. Puerto Rico and Hawaii are hardest hit. Islanders pay more for everything from gasoline to clothing because of this law. Hawaiian ranchers sometimes actually fly cattle to the mainland because it is more expensive by ocean.

The reason they can do the Hawaii trips from Long Beach is that they are considered "closed loop" because it's to and from the same port . They go roundtrip to and from Long Beach and the Ensenada stop is the foreign port. With the Seattle, Alaska, Vancouver, Hawaii scenario they are not going to and from the same port so it's not closed loop and then violates the PVSA since you are technically going from Seattle to Hawaii. Even though it's two separate cruises it's considered 1 cruise per the PVSA. If you took a different ship to Alaska and then boarded the Legend for the remaining 3 legs it would be ok but you'd need to find a different ship with a schedule similar to the Legend itinerary to Alaska in order to make that work time wise.

Having a PVP has helped us. We used our PVP for the last two cruises and in both cases we got a better deal than what was published on the Carnival site. In addition the deal gave us $50 each on ship credited each time.

That said, there is minor annoyance I have. I stay signed in on carnival's website and I am regularly on there just looking around. I'm not really looking to book a cruise, just seeing what is available. However, when I do look at something on there, I am almost guaranteed to get a call from our PVP within 12-24 hours of visiting the site. I always let it go to voicemail and It always our PVP saying he has a "special going that is not published on the site".

That said, we have decided to use our PVP anytime we book from now on and since using him, the deals have been so good we have never had to use the price match guarantee unlike every cruise we have booked on the website.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but I don't think you'll be able to do the Alaska leg and also the Hawaii leg because of the PVSA law. Usually at the end of the Alaska season the last cruise will start in Seattle and end in Vancouver BC. Then Vancouver BC to Hawaii and even though this is 2 separate cruises I believe it is considered 1 cruise from Seattle to Honolulu from the PVSA perspective. And since it's transporting you from 1 us port to another US port without visiting a distant foreign port I believe it isn't allowed . Canada isn't considered a distant foreign port only a foreign port.

I believe the Honolulu to Sydney leg and then also the Australia leg are both handled via Carnival Australia. The leg from Vancouver to Hawaii would be Carnival USA.

worse case we just wouldn't do the Alaska leg. We have been there and it wouldn't be a big deal to miss that cruise. I am more concern with can my PVP do both US and Australia cruises so I can get the same cabin on all legs. I also wonder if Carnival Fly2Fun can be used since its with both systems. I only use this when i fly outside the US.

I have never used a PVP and not sure if i even have one assigned to me. However, I am now thinking of taking a B2B2B2B on the Legend next fall. I want to take the last Alaska cruise, Then take it to Hawaii, then on to Sydney and then take the first cruise in Sydney. However, part way through this cruise it switches from a Regular Carnival cruise to an Australia cruise and as everyone knows this is a different web page. So i am trying to figure out if its time to use a PVP so that i can try and get the same room on all 4 cruises. So what i guess i am asking is if the carnival PVP can book both US and Australia cruises or am i forced to use a TA for this. I dont want to use a TA if at all possible as it will take away my abilities to deal with Carnival on any issues in the future. Also does anyone know if Carnival can actually link cruises between the two.

I don't know about experiences others have had with a PVP but I was contacted after my second cruise several times with offers to help. I had an offer via email which I booked without thinking about the PVP. When I had a problem with the website and contacted him, he essentially said you didn't use me to book so you are on your own. I have booked three more cruises online without contacting him and have not heard from him since.

Well i just contacted a PVP a friend of ours uses. She told me that they are not allowed to book Carnival Australia. Therefore i would have to contact them directly for those bookings. That being the case i may as well do this myself as there is no easy way to make sure i get the same room. She also told me that they are not able to link the cruises together so was not sure how the B2B would work on the switch over.

May be the first time i use a TA as then they can handle the hassle of both companies and getting me the same room on all of them.

I'm not understanding some of this. Seems to me neither of the first two would technically be closed loop since they start and finish in different ports. Couldn't I book as separate cruises? Say today I book one that sails from Seattle to Alaska and finishes in Vancouver, then tomorrow I book a cruise that sails from Vancouver and finishes in Hawaii but just happens to leave the same day I return from the first cruise. If I disembark the first cruise (Alaska) and then check in for the second cruise (Hawaii) how can that be considered one cruise? Then wouldn't the cruise from Hawaii to Australia be a repositioning cruise and hence be a third cruise.

Not saying anyone is wrong. Just wondering, if I can book any one of these cruises separately what difference does it make what day I embark on the second or third cruise and how does that violate the PVSA? All I've done is book multiple cruises that just happen to be on adjacent days. Doesn't make sense to me.