Considering a HAL cruise...comparison to Princess please!

We are looking for a Western Caribbean cruise in November, and HAL has by far the best itineraries on either the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Eurodam We haven't sailed HAL in ten years (no reason!) and in the meantime have done a lot of Princess (just reached Elite) and some Royal Caribbean. Will be sailing with another couple that has done a few Celebrity recently and love them.

For anyone who also cruises on Princess could you please offer a comparison, keeping in mind the two HAL ships we are considering?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed Princess, you will probably enjoy either of the two HAL ships you mentioned. Cruising in November is a shoulder season, so you might see a few more gray heads in the ship's company.

To my way of thinking, the staterooms on HAL seem to be a little larger, and the mattresses are better. Add the Asian - fusion restaurant to the mix of the usual selection of specialty restaurants. Don't expect a rock climbing wall or outdoor movies. :D

If you enjoyed Princess, you will probably enjoy either of the two HAL ships you mentioned. Cruising in November is a shoulder season, so you might see a few more gray heads in the ship's company.

To my way of thinking, the staterooms on HAL seem to be a little larger, and the mattresses are better. Add the Asian - fusion restaurant to the mix of the usual selection of specialty restaurants. Don't expect a rock climbing wall or outdoor movies. :D

We are late 50's and 60's and I would have a bit of gray if I abandoned hair coloring! I remember HAL cabins being nicer sized and nice layout.

Is the Asian restaurant a surcharge? Do they have sushi?

thanks!

We did Princess Grand/Caribbean and Crown then switched to Hal, we perfer Hal but they are very similar. I found the Caribbean and Crown to crowded had problems getting seats for shows. Food is very similar, another thing I like about Hal is you can byob all the wine you want, just like Princess used to be (18 dollar corkage fee when you drink it in public/resturant) (we are same age 60 and 50 something)

I am Platinum on Princess - you need a mini-suite to get a sitting area on Princess - you get a sofa on a balcony room on HAL - also ocean view above a certain level - that is primarily - why we started sailing on HAL -the Eurodam is one of their larger - but significantly smaller than the Princess east coast ships - we have only been on the Crown for a Canada/NE cruise - but it was too big for us - I think the Lido on HAL is a great improvement over Princess - also most HAL ship's have a covered pool - I know the larger Princess ships do not - we enjoyed Island, Golden, Diamond and Sapphire and would consider Princess for a west coast cruise - but not for Europe or any east coast sailing - we spent 37 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year in the Med and TA - will be sailing on the Euordam in August Fjords/Baltic - so make the jump you will like HAL - they have bread pudding in the Lido at luunch every day - you just need to find it!

Crown Princess was too big for us, crowded, some elevators not working, congestion...., Princess cannot compare to HAL Lido, which is one of the best at sea.

Princess MDR service and food was very good, on par with HAL or a touch better.

Thanks for the help, all! It looks like it will be the Eurodam, based on date and itinerary, so your comments are very helpful. We like to carry on our wine!!

Can anyone please tell me about the Asian restaurant? Surcharge or not? Sushi or not?

Thx!

It has been a while since we were on the Eurodam. I don't recall seeing sushi in the Tamarind, but from time to time they make a few things in the Lido Buffet.

Yes, there is a surcharge for the Tamarind. The last time we tried it the charge was $5.00 pp at lunch and $15.00 pp for dinner. Both were outstanding, probably the best specialty dining bargain in the industry.

The Eurodam would not be my first choice of ships, we prefer the smaller S and R class. That said, I would sail on the Eurodam again just for the Tamarind experience.

I simply don't understand why I can't seem to lose any weight.:D

You will also find sushi in the Lido and sometimes in the Java/specialty coffee place depending on the ship.

Yes, the Tamarind has sushi.

It is in my humble opinion the best specialty restaurant that HAL has.

Not fussy on the lunch as it was 'fixed menu' when we were on - that might have changed now? But the dinner is truly fabulous - they will do it as spicy or less spicy as you like:)

Have sailed Princess twice. Loved it the first time - the second time, I was craving HAL. So we went back.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and I am quite sure you should have a good time:)

We choose by itinerary and price. Our last two cruises were on HAL ships but but we sailed on Princess six times between those cruises and our previous HAL cruise.

I'm the type who can go with the flow. Each one does some things better, but overall they're about the same.

We alternate now pretty much between Princess and HAL........usually based on itinerary. We have been on the Eurodam and think you will enjoy the ship very much. Good choice.

itinerary is what got us to consider HAL for this upcoming cruise. most, maybe all, of Princess 7 day cruises only have two Ports plus the private island, whereas HAL has three full day port stops plus Half Moon Cay, which I remember being far superior to Princess Cay or Royal Caribbeans private island in the Bahamas. And price is good too.

Thanks again for inputs!

We cruised on the Niew Amsterdam earlier this year in March. Last fall our west coastal cruise on the Sapphire Princess (our second time on this ship) left us feeling something was missing. When we discovered a great price and inteniary on the Niew Amsterdam to the Western Caribbean we booked immediately. We LOVED this ship! Everything from the dining options, mattress's (heavenly) to the friendliness of the crew. It was a truly memorable voyage. We have not given up on Princess though, have booked the Coral for Panama next year. Try Holland America, you will not be disappointed.

We are late 50's and 60's and I would have a bit of gray if I abandoned hair coloring! I remember HAL cabins being nicer sized and nice layout.

Is the Asian restaurant a surcharge? Do they have sushi?

thanks!

Tamarind is the best eatery at sea IMHO.

Lunch in Tamarind is Free (its Asian Tea Time, like Dim Sum) multpiule courses, light and tasty lunch.

Dinner $15. Husband gets 25 pieces of sushi for the covercharge. He says its the freshest he's ever had.

Cabanas on Nieuw Amsterdam are amazing.

Cabins are great, and you can get so much more than Princess while being in a standard cabin. Sofas & tubs in obstructed OVand above. Hot MDR room service etc.

Ok...we are now booked as of this morning, along with our friends on the Eurodam. :). All of the positive comments were appreciated!

One more question...how/when can you get reservations for dinner at Tamarind? We are celebrating a special birthday plus we love sushi!

One more question...how/when can you get reservations for dinner at Tamarind? We are celebrating a special birthday plus we love sushi!

Figure out what nights you want the reservation now. As soon as you board the ship either dial 88 for reservations, or go up to the Lido reservations desk. Don't put this off, specialty dinner reservations are the first order of business on any cruise.

Carnival Corporation has a smart marketing model. Carnival is not Princess and Princess is not HAL. Specifics: Plasticware in the Princess Lido (P), china and glass in HAL Lido. Brown industrial paper towels in public bathrooms for Princess, cloth in HAL. Have to eat on the bed for room service in balcony on P, sofa and coffee table on HAL. Motel 6 type cleaning carts all day in the halls of P, no cleaning carts on HAL. Formal nights on P, guests dress up, the dining room does not. HAL has chair covers and candles. Princess chocolates taste like made of cocoa, HAL chocolates are real chocolate. Simple differences, but the total experience is one step below HAL. Worst was the absolutely board- like mattress on Princess, must know the secret to ask for an "egg crate."

Carnival Corporation has not created these lines equal.

I've taken both Princess and Hal cruises this year. The service was MUCH better on Princess in the MDR and also the cabin service. I don't know why Hal struggles so much. I assume that they both have similar staffing. That said Hal feels more like home to me but I wish they could get it together. I love that Princess doesn't have smoking on balconies. I'm not high maintenance so little touches don't register on my radar. I'd rather have good service.

Figure out what nights you want the reservation now. As soon as you board the ship either dial 88 for reservations, or go up to the Lido reservations desk. Don't put this off, specialty dinner reservations are the first order of business on any cruise.

Thanks...thought I read somewhere on the HAL boards that you could make reservations before boarding...we Are especially inteerested in Tamarind dinner!

Thanks...thought I read somewhere on the HAL boards that you could make reservations before boarding...we Are especially inteerested in Tamarind dinner!

You can! You can book it online under your reservation but you do have to pay for it up front. You can also call guest services and book it that way.

You can, that is you can make dinner reservations before boarding. At least for Pinnacle, Tamarind, and Le Cirque you can.

Just go to the HAL website, log in to your reservation, and follow the links to the dinner reservations.

I can't remember all the steps, but I do remember that it was easy the last time I did it! :D

Archived