Roatan, Honduras question

beshears

I have never been to Honduras before, but my friend who is planning on going with me, her husband is from there, and she "thought" she might like to visit there.

If you have visited Roatan, Honduras within the past year, would you mind giving me your pros/cons (yes I know this is YOUR opinion) if it was worth visiting. I really don't have any interest in seeing it, but would like other peoples opinions as well.

So is this a port you're visiting on a cruise? In my opinion, Roatan is a small island and you could easily take a cab to West End which is a quirky little town. Then I would take a water taxi to West Bay which is the premiere beach on the island. Have a couple Monkey La La's and maybe lunch at one of the beachfront restaurants. Then take a cab back to your cruise terminal. You could easily make arrangements with a cab to drive you around also for probably $30 or so p/p. IMHO, I wouldn't miss it, however we vacation there every year so I'm biased.

I LOVE ROATAN!!!!!! This is one of my favs and so so much to do there. Ok, so Honduras is third world, but same everywhere Carnival goes somewhat. I agree with Mindy 2. West end is great. Anthonys Key Resort is awesome for snorkeling with Dolphins. Little and Big French Key is doable. I think you will love it!!

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't had a chance to Google it as yet, but we are not into snorkeling, or scuba diving, but sight seeing, etc., would there still be plenty to see there, or is it a very small place?

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't had a chance to Google it as yet, but we are not into snorkeling, or scuba diving, but sight seeing, etc., would there still be plenty to see there, or is it a very small place?

It's not real small, they have a few bars (one with swings;)), a little gift shop, platforms to jump off, a small zoo. Lots of different areas to sit with chairs and loungers. We didn't snorkel there we just hung out and enjoyed the calm clear water and the amazing atmosphere.

For sight seeing, go with Bodden, everyone raves about him. Gumbalimba Park is also a popular nature park. Little French Key has a small zoo and some decent food. Maya Key is another nice spot to enjoy some water views with lunch. West Bay town has some quaint restaurants and shops. You can do any of these in a 1/2 day tour. I would recommend getting out and about in the morning, and stopping for lunch by noon or 1PM. You may not want to be out in the afternoon sun.

Almost anything is better than staying in Carnival's shopping corral right at the port, including staying on the ship. If you were beach people or snorkelers, I'd have other suggestions, but for sightseeing go with Bodden.

One name to know Victor Bodden. His tour company will do very affordable custom tour packages. In 2015 it was $80 for 2 people for up to 8 hours of private tour service. Any attractions or activities you pick will need to be paid for separately but most are very reasonable priced. Even though there is a list of "recommended" places and things to do if you research and find something not on the list they will work with you to fulfill doing that activity or seeing a particular sight.

I also use victor Bodden every time we are in Roatan. His company is hands down the best. They will give you a customized private tour of the island and take you anywhere you want to go. They can also make suggestions based on your interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my, I was not planning on getting on the computer this morning before I left for my "Saturday" shopping, but I'm so glad I did.:)

After seeing "everyone's different suggestions, makes me want to visit Roatan as well.

Renooz (?) mention about bars there, and we are not into bars especially, but the word "SWINGS" caught my eye. I am a senior, but most people think I am 10 years younger than what I look, and believe it or not, I love, love, love to swing. What type of swing are you referring to? Is it like you would find in the local park, only smaller, or a glider swing, etc.? You have my curiosity up on this.

I appreciate the suggestions on tour guides as well, as that helps too, especially if other people have used them, and are happy with them.

Renooz (?) mention about bars there, and we are not into bars especially, but the word "SWINGS" caught my eye. I am a senior, but most people think I am 10 years younger than what I look, and believe it or not, I love, love, love to swing. What type of swing are you referring to? Is it like you would find in the local park, only smaller, or a glider swing, etc.? You have my curiosity up on this.

I appreciate the suggestions on tour guides as well, as that helps too, especially if other people have used them, and are happy with them.

I don't believe this is the type of "swing" that you are looking for when you say "glider".

They have a rope, that is located on a 2 story deck, that you hold on to and jump off the deck and swing out over the water and let go into the water. It's a rope swing. They have two decks for this.

At the bar they have some swings that are just wood hanging from ropes and it's in the water (so not really swinging).

P2240532%20copy-M.jpg

Then they have the same thing (one that I noticed last time) that is under an eve of the house and located by the restrooms up by the main house on the land.

P2240609%20copy-M.jpg

I rented a moped for $40 and had it for the entire day. Drove the entire island and really enjoyed myself! I like doing things at my leisure and seeing what I want to see. I will return in two weeks.

Mitsugirly, thanks for your reply. I wouldn't want to do the rope that swings out into the water, but even a swing that is IN the water, I might do. I think that would be different, so I may have to check into this. :)

Mitsugirly, thanks for your reply. I wouldn't want to do the rope that swings out into the water, but even a swing that is IN the water, I might do. I think that would be different, so I may have to check into this. :)

You are very welcome. We have been there 3 times. I have done complete and extensive reviews each time and they are very picture heavy. If you are interested in seeing the entire place to see if this fits your needs, click expand on my signature line and go to Roatan and look beside it for the Little French Key (or LFK) link and click. :)

We just got back from our cruise Oct 21-28. We loved Roatan. We booked through Pirates of the Caribbean zipline and they took us to Little French Key afterwards. It was great the zip line was awesome we zipped from platform to platform only a few steps and the gal that drove us was great. She was waiting for us at the port and took us to LFK when we were done zipping and was there at the agreed time to take us back to the port. I would highly recommend them!!

LukyLori, thank you for your posting about who you used in Roatan, Honduras. We are not into zip lining, but they may still have other things to take us to, or show us as well, if we use them.

It was our first time zip lining. The 4 of us range from 54-72 years old and it was amazing. I’m scared of heights but it was really fun!!

For sight seeing, go with Bodden, everyone raves about him. Gumbalimba Park is also a popular nature park. Little French Key has a small zoo and some decent food. Maya Key is another nice spot to enjoy some water views with lunch. West Bay town has some quaint restaurants and shops. You can do any of these in a 1/2 day tour. I would recommend getting out and about in the morning, and stopping for lunch by noon or 1PM. You may not want to be out in the afternoon sun.

Almost anything is better than staying in Carnival's shopping corral right at the port, including staying on the ship. If you were beach people or snorkelers, I'd have other suggestions, but for sightseeing go with Bodden.

Carnival, Princess and Holland America dock at Mahogany Bay. Carnival owns the beach in Mahogany Bay which is a 10 minute walk from the dock. You also can get a all day chairlift pass for $9.00 that goes to the beach. It is just like a private Island, 1000's of free lounges and the best beach in the Caribbean. Outstanding snorkeling on the left side of the Beach.

Thanks for your replies to what we can see/do, if we don't snorkel, etc. As I posted just recently on another post, my friend and I just decided tonight to go this direction, and we both are getting anxious, but it will be a few months until March. Any suggestions one way or another about this area is appreciated.

LuckyLori, zip lining sounds like fun, but I will tell you the REAL reason why I won't do it. I am a PICTURE taking person. I cannot take pictures while zip lining. I know some people have worn a cap/hat on their head with the camera in front, but that is not me.

• 4 weeks later...
I have never been to Honduras before, but my friend who is planning on going with me, her husband is from there, and she "thought" she might like to visit there.

If you have visited Roatan, Honduras within the past year, would you mind giving me your pros/cons

I visited Roatan on the NCL Dawn earlier this year, March 2017. This was my 3rd time visiting the island, and I have had mixed experiences here. It has come a long way, but still has a lot of development to go, and has lots of potential if done right. Roatan is an isolated island, and not representative of Honduras as a whole. The Garifuna / African slave heritage is the dominant culture on the island. You may like that, but I did not.

Good things: I love the mountains and jungles of this island. They are great to explore. Prices for most things are reasonable. There are lots of handicrafts to shop for here, and lots of tropical wildlife to see up close. It is authentic, and not an artificially planned cruise tourist destination.

Bad things: Poverty is everywhere, and everyone you encounter is rude and begging for tips & money! Giving them a one-time hand out will not help these folks. Corruption appears to be the way of life for these folks, like Haiti. The island is very primitive, which can also be good. But when you are looking for a restroom or restaurant, it's not so good. The native cuisine is still a bit of a mystery to me. There is no sit-down restaurant near the NCL Coxen Hole dock. I don't know about the Carnival dock. Each has their own shopping complex built up near the cruise dock, but as you walk a few blocks from the dock, it can get scary.

I'll be visiting there this coming March too, aboard the NCL Getaway.

If you like taking pictures, a bus tour or nature park visit might be a good excursion choice.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll be glad to help!