hints for first time balcony cruiser

oldmedic

I am going to surprise my wife and get a balcony cabin for our next cruise.... looking for hints/tips from persons with previous balcony room experiences... any tips out there? (this will be our 20th cruise, we just have never done a balcony before)

Edited by oldmedic

You'll love it!

Great place for a first glass of champagne to celebrate your cruise and time with your wife. Very romantic.

You sometimes see flying fish. Other ships lit up passing by at night are spectacular. You might want binoculars.

When in port keep the drape drawn...

Don't let the door slam. The door could cut off your finger, hurt your arm, so be careful. It's also loud and annoying to others if it slams.

Don't have the cabin door open when you open the balcony door--everything will be in a whirlwind and go flying!

If you turn on the light, remember to turn it off.

Hard to travel any other way once you have a balcony!

Look at the deck plans of the ship. Don't be like the guy (there is a youtube video) that booked and was upset because of the extended balcony to his right made it an "obstructed view" balcony.

The other thing I like to do is take a look at the itinerary to decide if I should chose port or starboard. I like to be on the side where I will see the land when we are getting near (makes for good photo ops from the comfort of my room).

My cruise last year I had a verandah deck room very near to the bow. It was pretty cool being able to look a floor up and see the people in the bridge who would wave at us in the morning.

The length of your signature indicates you already know a great deal about room selection, so just keep in mind the same problems can happen with a balcony location. Lounges below or pools above are still noisy, etc.

We've found keeping binocular and cameras ready in the room to be handy. We have frequently been able to grab them for a quick shot of rainbows, sunsets, waterspouts, whales, or dolphins. Plus approaching port on your balcony is a great experience.

Room service becomes a better friend to you. Coffee and toast on the balcony in the morning or milk and cookies at night can be very relaxing.

My wife prefers reading her Kindle on her balcony all day over going to the daytime shows, games, or other events.

We have seen flying fish on almost every cruise and occasionally other creatures. It takes a little patience but you may be surprised how much you enjoy just watching the water go by.

Don't forget to look for Pier Runners. Most are calm and without a clue that anyone is waiting but some really put on a show.

We have had our balcony rooms be really hot on occasion, and one way we cooled it off in a hurry was to open both doors and let the cool air from the hallway fill the room and close the doors at the same time.

Sometimes this was a problem for the duration of the cruise, other times it was hot after showers and using the blow dryer.

thanks for the hints, someone had posted something about a magnet sometime back... any ideas why I would need a magnet? and if so, what size?

there is a sensor on the door that turns off the AC when the balcony door is open and some people use a magnet to circumvent this. I would not recommend it

Bring a bungee cord with to prop open the balcony door. The a/c will turn off but you can listen to the sounds of the sea in the cabin.

Door stop for your stateroom door wedged between balcony door and the door jam will do the same thing! :p Binoculars and camera are good advice. Another from me: ENJOY IT ALL!!! :)

Bring a bungee cord with to prop open the balcony door. The a/c will turn off but you can listen to the sounds of the sea in the cabin.

I was told by crew, that a/c is zoned and having balcony door open puts strain on system. (Not all ships does a/c go off.) I am not an engineer, so could be misinformed.

Keep your balcony door locked when not on the balcony. Have heard stories of others missing items and could happen from next door cabin.

I have had 3 balconies for my 11 cruises and frankly think they are over rated. Price just doesn't justify it for me.

Edited by HawkIVette

I absolutely love going out on the balcony in the wee hours of the morning when most everyone has called it a night. Say around 4AM. It is almost as if you have the sea and the sky all to yourself. Wrapping myself up in one of the cabin robes, I have actually fallen asleep listening to the sound of the water. My daughter claims that it is 'spooky' out there late at night, but, she always finds herself back out there.

Don't be the jerk who leaves his light on all night. Only tip that matters ;)

Other people can see you in the reflection on the glass...so sit accordingly if you're wearing a robe. Or doing anything else!

Oh, SOOOOOO true. We had a neighbor on one cruise who did this. Asked the cabin steward to ask him to turn it off when they went to bed, then twice we left nice notes under their door, once we left a note in their "mailbox." On the 2nd to last night we saw them going into their cabin and asked them politely. His response: "it's my balcony and I'll do whatever I want." :mad::mad::mad: NOT nice people! :(

Took us a bunch of cruises to realize this but we could leave the balcony door open a bit at night for ocean sounds, fresh air & bit of a breeze - no bugs! Obviously wouldn't want to do this in hot/humid but really was great sleeping - except when neighbors forgot to turn off their balcony light! :)