Update of explorer sewer smell

antsnanny

Today I got a call from the Executive Office at RCCL in response to an email I sent to Royal Caribbean regarding the sewer smell on the Explorer that has been reported on the boards. She assured me that they have been working on the problem and that there have been no complaints from either passengers or crew members since Feb. 1. Hopefully its over and we can all look forward to our upcoming cruises on the Explorer.

When we were on the Oasis in December of 2010, some friends of ours ended up having to switch from deck 14 to deck 10. I can't recall but there was a problem with the original one. Anyhow, the smell of sewage was so bad in cabin #2, that they had to call maintenance several times. They even took the panel off the wall in the hallway to look at the pipes. I believe the end was keeping a moist washcloth or towel over the drain in the shower when it wasn't in use. I went into the cabin one day (early in the week), it was bad. It did improve with the item over the drain.

I'm just throwing this out there to make it clear that this CAN and does happen on many ships, not just the Explorer. I think it's a fleet wide issue that the cruise lines in general haven't figured out how to resolve.

When we were on the Oasis in December of 2010, some friends of ours ended up having to switch from deck 14 to deck 10. I can't recall but there was a problem with the original one. Anyhow, the smell of sewage was so bad in cabin #2, that they had to call maintenance several times. They even took the panel off the wall in the hallway to look at the pipes. I believe the end was keeping a moist washcloth or towel over the drain in the shower when it wasn't in use. I went into the cabin one day (early in the week), it was bad. It did improve with the item over the drain.

I'm just throwing this out there to make it clear that this CAN and does happen on many ships, not just the Explorer. I think it's a fleet wide issue that the cruise lines in general haven't figured out how to resolve.

You can get the rubber stoppers in the dollar store to cover the shower drain. DH said that there are no traps in the drains so the odor seeps through.

Just off the Explorer last Friday. No sewer smell whatsoever anywhere.

I was also on this sailing and I completely agree...almost. I did not smell sewer anywhere inside but on a couple of occasions out on the balcony in the evening I could smell it a little, but not bad at all and it was definitely not every night.:)

Maybe you can ask them exactly what they did to fix it.

I bet you would not get a response..

Not true, I also sent an email and received a call last week and I asked specifically what was being done and was told they were adding additional ventilation to the sewage ventilation system so the smell goes where it is supposed too instead of into rooms. Its not different then if the stack on your home toilet got constricted. You either have to clean it out or increase the air flow to solve it. I was also told they have long term plans to clean the system but the ventilation is going to help for the short term. There was no denial they had a problem and they are trying to fix it. Does that satisfy you?:rolleyes:

I don't own stock and am not a RCCL cheerleader just giving them the benefit of the doubt in this case. I will be on it in several weeks and will let you know if any issues develop.

My wife and I were on the Explorer in October'11. We were in a cabin on deck 8. Although we had no smell in our cabin the oder was very strong during embarkation an on a couple of the nights we could smell it on several decks. Was never bad enough to stop us from going this November 4th, 2012.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=vtcountrytrader&date=11-4-2012&text=&ship=Explorer of the Seas

Not true, I also sent an email and received a call last week and I asked specifically what was being done and was told they were adding additional ventilation to the sewage ventilation system so the smell goes where it is supposed too instead of into rooms. Its not different then if the stack on your home toilet got constricted. You either have to clean it out or increase the air flow to solve it. I was also told they have long term plans to clean the system but the ventilation is going to help for the short term. There was no denial they had a problem and they are trying to fix it. Does that satisfy you?:rolleyes:

I don't own stock and am not a RCCL cheerleader just giving them the benefit of the doubt in this case. I will be on it in several weeks and will let you know if any issues develop.

Will be sailing on EOS in November. When is this modification taking place?

MARAPRINCE

Maybe you can ask them exactly what they did to fix it.

I bet you would not get a response..

I doubt I would have understood even if they told me. Im clueless about things like that. Hopefully, we won't see any more complaints for everyone's sake.

Archived