Living on a cruise ship?

goldengirl123

There is a thread active now on the Crystal board about Mama Lee, who lives on the Crystal Serenity. That thread links to a Forbes article about her. Rest assured she is not lonely or without friendships. She is doing what she loves, dancing every day.

Of course this lifestyle suits very few. It's a choice made by those with substantial means. They could choose to live in a condo in Florida, a ranch in Wyoming, a farm in Kentucky, a hacienda in Arizona, etc. etc. etc. but they prefer to live on a cruise ship. If they didn't love it, they wouldn't do it.

Actually living on a cruise ship would be very expensive, lonely and rather dismal overall. A low-priced inside cabin would soon feel like a prison cell, so we are talking about a balcony (at least) or suite - meaning AT LEAST $3,000 a week - or over $150,000 per year - for minimal space, no friendships, or access to most normal activities .

Anyone with the assets to afford a comfortable permanent shipboard home could do so much better with a bit of imaginative planning.

I would like the idea of a world cruise - perhaps 120 days to escape winter (just once, as there are plenty of ways to do that) but living on a cruise ship --- NO!

I am not sure anyone said it was cheap, but the ones I have met have had lots of friendships and as for activities, perhaps they are not normal for you but the cruise ones they do are normal for them. The crew become like family, and of course they are doted on and get lots of perks due to being familiar as well as being big loyalty guests.

The crew become like family, and of course they are doted on and get lots of perks due to being familiar as well as being big loyalty guests.

That's a bit of a misnomer because they are bought friends. You see frequent cruisers fall for this all the time. They think they are so loved by certain staff members when in fact, it is a purchased friendship and those staff are just doing their jobs.

Nothing against the people who do live on ships, but I could never do it.

That's a bit of a misnomer because they are bought friends. You see frequent cruisers fall for this all the time. They think they are so loved by certain staff members when in fact, it is a purchased friendship and those staff are just doing their jobs.

I suppose there would be some of that, but then some people are fine with that.

Actually living on a cruise ship would be very expensive, lonely and rather dismal overall.

I don't think it would be any lonelier than on land, if you had few local friends and family......and you can still easily keep in long distance contact with distant friends and family. Many people end up moving to a retirement community where they know no one and don't build friendships with their neighbours. It might be sad, but it's true for many. As for expensive, I believe that it could be done for about the same price as a well-appointed retirement community (about $5000 - $8000 a month). As for an interior cabin, I agree that's kind of dismal, but not if there was a porthole. They're really not much smaller than most people's bedrooms.

If you opted for anything other than a studio, you could have a kitchen. The largest units even have a gourmet kitchen. EM

I was actually speaking about a traditional cruise ship, not the World. I know some people who have a condo on that ship, and, they way they describe it, their resident rules are not to my taste.

Have you met anyone or considered living on a cruise ship? (or for at least for 6 months a year?)

Don't know that I've met anyone who's living on cruise ships. I've met several people who cruise frequently, but not always on the same ship.

Biggest issue - medical care. Once you're sick, chances are you're going to be put ashore as cruise ship medical facilities are not a long term care facility, only a stabilization facility.

Also, seems a bit isolated for me. You don't have the same neighbors (they change out every week or so). And, having to use the atrium as my living room - can't sit around in my PJs watching TV. Just staying in my room - that's a pretty small room. I have a fairly large master bedroom at my home, and I wouldn't want that to be the total area that I "live" in.

I do not believe it would be lonely or really even costly. On many lines you should be able to live on a budget of a $100 per day or about $37,000 year. So in fact maybe less than living on land. You get to meet new people every few weeks and have lots of things to do. Seems to me living in a senior center or in a small land apartment would be more isolated than a cruise cabin.

Also you need to remember within a short period of time you would have a high level within the cruise line system so extra stuff would be coming your way. I have spoken to a few people living on ships and they seem very happy.

The only real red flag would be as others have said medical, so you would need to have a good medical plan and Emergency Evacuation Protection.

I read about a new boat that’s selling condos on their ship, believe it was called storylines. Sounds fantastic, even has a shared kitchen where you can cook your own meals if you choose, and your healthcare is included. However, after a little more digging I discovered that they charge an extra 10k ish per month per “condo” and quickly lost interest.. too rich for my blood!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good point - anyone who thinks that ship's staff who serve their meals, clean their toilets, pour their drinks, etc. do so because they like them - and think of them as friends, because those are the only people with whom they have contact, have pretty hollow lives.

I do not believe it would be lonely or really even costly. On many lines you should be able to live on a budget of a $100 per day or about $37,000 year.

Do a little arithmetic: think about what you would get for that $100 per day. For a cabin to run $100 per day - SINGLE OCCUPANCY, because that is what we are talking about, you are looking at a fare of $50 per day because cabins are priced for double occupancy. What sort of cabin have you ever seen advertised for $350 per week? A bare-bones, cell-like inside - and that is before adding the $10 per day service charge --- which if you removed it you sure as hell would not be able to consider the people serving you as your friends.

I doubt you could get any ocean view cabin for under $1,500 per week as a single - then add a minimum of $70 service charge. That's $81,640 per year for just a porthole.

If you take the time to think - about the real, minimal cost, and the dismal life-style - living on a cruise ship starts to pale.

I doubt you could get any ocean view cabin for under $1,500 per week as a single - then add a minimum of $70 service charge. That's $81,640 per year for just a porthole.

If you take the time to think - about the real, minimal cost, and the dismal life-style - living on a cruise ship starts to pale.

Yup, but $81,000 a year isn't that far off from what living in an average retirement community costs in many places, but this one comes with travel (and usually better weather). And a 120 sq ft room with a porthole sounds horrible, but that's really just the equivalent of their bedroom, not their entire living space.

As for dismal? Well, as I've said, it depends on what you're comparing it to. I've seen how many people live in their later years, and they aren't surrounded by friends and family, growing prize petunias or working in the woodshop building toys for kids. Sure, they do things with friendly acquaintances, but those people aren't friends. The only "dismal" thing might be that you couldn't have a pet.

Do a little arithmetic: think about what you would get for that $100 per day. For a cabin to run $100 per day - SINGLE OCCUPANCY, because that is what we are talking about, you are looking at a fare of $50 per day because cabins are priced for double occupancy. What sort of cabin have you ever seen advertised for $350 per week? A bare-bones, cell-like inside - and that is before adding the $10 per day service charge --- which if you removed it you sure as hell would not be able to consider the people serving you as your friends.

Well Super Mario (Name removed as per site policy) is RCCL top cruiser 20 years and about 50 weeks per year on the ships. He stays in a mini suite and his own interviews say it cost him about $70,000 dollars a year (2017). So the proof is on the web in his interviews You said "I doubt you could get any ocean view cabin for under $1,500 per week as a single" Not just a ocean view but a mini suite for less than your estimate. I still believe my numbers are correct for a standard cabin. And you assumed single which I know in my case is not correct.

You said "I doubt you could get any ocean view cabin for under $1,500 per week as a single" Not just a ocean view but a mini suite for less than your estimate.

I would like you to cite ANY upcoming sailing where a single could book a mini suite for under $1,500 a week.

Well Super Mario (Name removed as per site policy) is RCCL top cruiser 20 years and about 50 weeks per year on the ships. He stays in a mini suite and his own interviews say it cost him about $70,000 dollars a year (2017). So the proof is on the web in his interviews You said "I doubt you could get any ocean view cabin for under $1,500 per week as a single" Not just a ocean view but a mini suite for less than your estimate. I still believe my numbers are correct for a standard cabin. And you assumed single which I know in my case is not correct.

How he stays in a Junior Suite as a single for only $70k/yr is beyond me. Just the gratuities alone are around $6000. Maybe he's got some sort of deal cut with RCI.

Already did 70,000 / 50 is $1400. Read any of the interviews he has given.

That would mean the Junior Suite is priced at $700/wk....something I have never seen on RCI. The single supplement on RCI is 200%.

Already did 70,000 / 50 is $1400. Read any of the interviews he has given.

"Already did 70,000/50 is $1400".

What in the world does this mean?

I repeat my question: please cite ANY upcoming sailing on which a single could get a mini suite for $1,500 a week.

Referring to what unidentified other people may or may not have said about anything is simply pointless.

That would mean the Junior Suite is priced at $700/wk....something I have never seen on RCI. The single supplement on RCI is 200%.

The single supplement reduces with number of loyalty/cruise days sailed.

The single supplement reduces with number of loyalty/cruise days sailed.

Exactly A member who understands that after a very short period of time your loyalty program would have many benefits. With RCCL and other lines the single surcharge is greatly cut, free cruises, upgrades, so the price would come down greatly within the first few months.

Just did some checking - Carnival Glory (one of the least expensive) has a June sailing to the Caribbean with a suite priced at $1,290 - with a bargain rate for a solo at $2,582 for a suite for a week. Just a tad over $1,500, wouldn't you say ?

You can’t compare the price you get for a week to someone who negotiates 50 weeks a year. Apples and oranges on pricing.

What about the other two weeks of the year, is that when the passenger goes into dry dock? Have their hull scrubbed perhaps? :p

I believe the 50 weeks is being quoted because I posted about Super Mario. If you read the published information about him, he says he spends 50 weeks a year on RCCL ships. The two weeks not on ships for him is flying to and from Europe as he does a trip in Europe each year and a few days at his condo in Miami.

But someone could do 52 weeks on a cruise ship and some do.