Living on a cruise ship?

goldengirl123

There was ship next to us in San Juan, don't remember the name, but it was all condos. You bought your condo with a full kitchen with doors automatically closing if you burned your toast or had a fire. But, you could also go to the dining room. You paid a million PLUS for the condo. And the owners decided where to cruise to. You could also rent your condo for however long you wanted.

Anyone know about this ship and its name?

Have you met anyone or considered living on a cruise ship? (or for at least for 6 months a year?)

Have dined with "Super Mario"

Also, read an article wher there is a Lady from New York who rents out her Penthouse, which more than covers her costs to live full time on one of the Regent (or was it Crystal) Ships, and retaining ownership of the property.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
predictive

There's a ship called The World which goes from port to port, never staying anywhere long enough to be subject to any tax legislation. I saw it in port somewhere (probably Europe), and the balconies were enormous.

Didn't manage to get onboard for a closer look - pity!

We saw the World in Haines. We were taking an independent kayaking excursion from Skagway. The bus we rode on from the dock in Haines to Chilkoot Lake also had some passengers from the World who were doing an ATV excursion. They talked the bus driver into stopping for doughnuts on the way. Apparently food was extra on board.

Crystal Cruises planned to have some residences on its new ships, but the company scrapped that idea earlier this year. The ships were supposed to have been launched this year, but now they're postponed until 2022.

The World of Residensea is the full name. Eastbound in the Panama Canal 10/30/2017

https://www.ship-technology.com/projects/world/

enhance

enhance

enhance

There is a poster on the Celebrity board who moves from ship to ship (Celebrity ships) in the Caribbean during the winter, escaping the cold of Canada. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

There was ship next to us in San Juan, don't remember the name, but it was all condos. You bought your condo with a full kitchen with doors automatically closing if you burned your toast or had a fire. But, you could also go to the dining room. You paid a million PLUS for the condo. And the owners decided where to cruise to. You could also rent your condo for however long you wanted.

http://aboardtheworld.com/

The World of Residensea is the full name. Eastbound in the Panama Canal 10/30/2017

enhance

enhance

enhance

There is a poster on the Celebrity board who moves from ship to ship (Celebrity ships) in the Caribbean during the winter, escaping the cold of Canada. EM

Interesting that if you look closely at the top photo there is just the 1 yellow roof lifeboat on the starboard side and probably another on the port side.

This would be indicative of how exclusive this ship is and of how few people and suites there are.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks for the pics.

I have certainly considered it, but I think it would only financially be worthwhile if there was virtually no home on land -- perhaps a tiny bachelor apartment. Then I considered doing multiple back-to-back cruises for several months, but I think I'd miss cooking (but I wouldn't miss cleaning). That, though, sounds the most appealing, and I could use a stop in Vancouver as a "back in Canada" day to recharge my health insurance.

It may sound wonderful, but we have to say the wanting is greater than the having.

The ship carries a crew of 280 and 150 to 200 Guest and or owners so under 500 total people. I believe the ship is required to have space for 125% of the total people on the ship. But tenders and inflatables and other things on the ship count towards the 125%.

I also believe cruise ships are required to carry lifeboats on both sides vs other large ships (cargo, Etc) which seem to carry them off the stern which seems to allow for better deportment. ( May another member knows more?)

Interesting that if you look closely at the top photo there is just the 1 yellow roof lifeboat on the starboard side and probably another on the port side.

This would be indicative of how exclusive this ship is and of how few people and suites there are.

Actually living on a cruise ship would be very expensive, lonely and rather dismal overall. A low-priced inside cabin would soon feel like a prison cell, so we are talking about a balcony (at least) or suite - meaning AT LEAST $3,000 a week - or over $150,000 per year - for minimal space, no friendships, or access to most normal activities .

Anyone with the assets to afford a comfortable permanent shipboard home could do so much better with a bit of imaginative planning.

I would like the idea of a world cruise - perhaps 120 days to escape winter (just once, as there are plenty of ways to do that) but living on a cruise ship --- NO!

I have certainly considered it, but I think it would only financially be worthwhile if there was virtually no home on land -- perhaps a tiny bachelor apartment. Then I considered doing multiple back-to-back cruises for several months, but I think I'd miss cooking (but I wouldn't miss cleaning). That, though, sounds the most appealing, and I could use a stop in Vancouver as a "back in Canada" day to recharge my health insurance.

If you opted for anything other than a studio, you could have a kitchen. The largest units even have a gourmet kitchen. EM

Actually living on a cruise ship would be very expensive, lonely and rather dismal overall. A low-priced inside cabin would soon feel like a prison cell, so we are talking about a balcony (at least) or suite - meaning AT LEAST $3,000 a week - or over $150,000 per year - for minimal space, no friendships, or access to most normal activities.
From reports, the people who have lived on ships enjoyed it. They can have friends come on board for a cruise or two. They can meet new people every cruise. Plus the staff dotes on them. I'm fine with an inside cabin as long as I'm able to get out and about. We had one on our 12-day British isles cruise last year and have booked one for our upcoming 15-day trans-Atlantic.

There's 2 in that picture. Just forward of that lifeboat is a larger tender/lifeboat. On the port side, there are 3 lifeboats, including another of the larger tenders.