Any Bed Bugs In Venice Hotels?

happy 2 b cruising

While looking at Hotels in Venice I noticed a post on the Trip Advisor site about Bed Bugs. Has anyone recently had any problems with these creatures in Venice? They are very easy to pick up in Hotels but very difficult to get rid of :(.

Bed bugs can occur in any hotel, from the diviest "no-tel" to the classiest 5 star hotel, anywhere in the world. Any reputable hotel will have a procedure in place to quickly remove any infestation, if found. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Bed bugs are all over the world (and yes, they even have them in Palm Beach) and there have even been cases of bed bug infestation on cruise ships. We never concern ourselves with this kind of thing since there is nothing we can do and we rather let nice thoughts invade our small mind. That being said, when we return from any trip our luggage does not go anywhere near our bedroom :)

Hank

While looking at Hotels in Venice I noticed a post on the Trip Advisor site about Bed Bugs. Has anyone recently had any problems with these creatures in Venice? They are very easy to pick up in Hotels but very difficult to get rid of :(.

I would not trust all Tripadvisor reviews. It could be someone who has a vendetta against a particular hotel. Bedbugs in particular could be such.

The same with positive reviews. My sister stayed at a relatively new boutique hotel that had great Tripadvisor reviews recently. But there were only seven reviews. I stayed at a different hotel which was much better. (this was for an event) The hotel was not as good as the reviews, not bad but there were some issues that you would think would be mentioned. I read the Tripadvisor reports while there and all them were obviously written by the same person using different accounts.

If the reviewer has a single review posted and it's either very negative or very positive, I don't trust it. If a poster has dozens or even hundreds of reviews and they run from stellar to terrible, I'll be willing to take their word on it.

I have several hundred reviews on tripadvisor that run from one star to five. They are for any number of hotels and attractions in a dozen different countries and I try to be objective. I do have one where I reported live bedbugs in my bed. My biggest gripe wasn't the bugs but rather the response from the hotel management who tried to low me off until that review appeared. Then they wanted to give me the moon to take it down. My reviews can't be bought and it's still there over a year later. Additionally I have been contacted by others who also had bedbugs in their beds in the same hotel.

I have learned the hard way to take Trip Adviser review with a grain of salt. Hotels that got glowing reviews that were one burnt out lightbulb short of a dump, or really REALLY filthy, etc. And I am NOT one of those ultra picky people who go around looking for dirt! So I suggest reading a lot of them for each hotel you are considering and go with the median review.

I was recently looking for a hotel in the small town where my DSIL was just transferred. Every single review for every hotel was so dismal I really don't know what to do--not one good review for any of them! Going to look elsewhere, I guess. . .

I will sum up Tripadvisor in this way. For more then 6 months (it finally ended after we and a few others shamed them with some e-mails) they had the #1 Myrtle Beach Restaurant as "Britts Donuts." Now it turned out that Britts Donuts was located in Carolina Beach, NC more then 120 miles, and in a different state the Myrtle Beach. Yet it took TA more then 6 months to correct their error. And in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (where we live for part of the year) their #1 restaurant for more then a year was an excellent martini bar that did not even serve food! So although we love to read the reviews posted by real people on TA, we totally ignore anything having to do with their ratings.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I will sum up Tripadvisor in this way. For more then 6 months (it finally ended after we and a few others shamed them with some e-mails) they had the #1 Myrtle Beach Restaurant as "Britts Donuts." Now it turned out that Britts Donuts was located in Carolina Beach, NC more then 120 miles, and in a different state the Myrtle Beach. Yet it took TA more then 6 months to correct their error. And in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (where we live for part of the year) their #1 restaurant for more then a year was an excellent martini bar that did not even serve food! So although we love to read the reviews posted by real people on TA, we totally ignore anything having to do with their ratings.

Hank

Better be carefull Hank, Tripadvisor owns Cruise Critic.....LOL

Edited by Charles4515

If the reviewer has a single review posted and it's either very negative or very positive, I don't trust it. If a poster has dozens or even hundreds of reviews and they run from stellar to terrible, I'll be willing to take their word on it.

I have several hundred reviews on tripadvisor that run from one star to five. They are for any number of hotels and attractions in a dozen different countries and I try to be objective. I do have one where I reported live bedbugs in my bed. My biggest gripe wasn't the bugs but rather the response from the hotel management who tried to low me off until that review appeared. Then they wanted to give me the moon to take it down. My reviews can't be bought and it's still there over a year later. Additionally I have been contacted by others who also had bedbugs in their beds in the same hotel.

Hopefully the bugs were not in a Venice Hotel :eek: Appreciate your input.

Thank -you for all your replies :) I will never put my luggage on my bed again when returning from a trip.

Check around your bed for signs of blood. Also behind the headboard for bed bugs. I never had any or found any but that is advice I have been given. Check not only in hotels, check on cruise ships.

Check around your bed for signs of blood. Also behind the headboard for bed bugs. I never had any or found any but that is advice I have been given. Check not only in hotels, check on cruise ships.

I have been doing this for years no matter where we are...just habit now. Have never found any,but if one does the manager is the one to ger ahold of not just a clerk at the desk.they can move you in a heartbeat.If one does run into them the best thing to do when one gets home is to unpack in the garage and then clean verything down that can be washed with hot water and spray the suitcases.Ity will work. DH came back from Panama with bites,but did what I just wrote and never had a problem.

Hank

Planning our next trip was reading reviews of one hotel

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g295424-d301908-Reviews-Moevenpick_Hotel_Apartments_Bur_Dubai-Dubai_Emirate_of_Dubai.html

This hotel has a wonderful housekeeping staff that is continually mentioned by name in all the recent reviews - huh!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g295424-d301908-Reviews-Moevenpick_Hotel_Apartments_Bur_Dubai-Dubai_Emirate_of_Dubai.html

This hotel has a wonderful housekeeping staff that is continually mentioned by name in all the recent reviews - huh!

I cannot speak to the quality of the Movenpick in Dubai, but I have twice stayed at the Movenpick in Amsterdam & once at the Movenpick in Berlin. Both were excellent stays ... large rooms with excellent service. (Bonus ... won the hotels on Priceline's NYOP at much less than the advertised rate. :))

I cannot speak to the quality of the Movenpick in Dubai, but I have twice stayed at the Movenpick in Amsterdam & once at the Movenpick in Berlin. Both were excellent stays ... large rooms with excellent service. (Bonus ... won the hotels on Priceline's NYOP at much less than the advertised rate. :))

Staying at the Deira (Dubai) Moevenpick and about to pull a trigger on the one in Doha - so I don't have a problem with the chain (stayed at one in Beijing airport many years ago and loved it). But the reviews on this one just across the creek in Dubai are really strange - there is one superhuman housekeeping person that continually gets mentioned in reviews.

That is a hilarious review!!! Obviously all planted, same bad language, etc. Very funny--thanks for sharing!

Another thing to remember: not all "bed bugs" reported by someone are the actual bedbugs, but merely "I found a bug in the bed" and the guest immediately assumes bedbugs. I've had this happen twice at hotels I worked at. We did the standard "bedbug" procedure (moving the guest immediately, quarantine the room), and when the room was checked, it was not bedbugs, but another bug crawling across the bed. Bugs happen everywhere - you can't avoid them. Even at Forbes 4-star rated resort hotels ;) If you are squeamish about bugs, don't go to Hawaii - even 5 star hotels will get the occasional gecko in the room!!!

Not sure how good it is, or if it works, but I was shopping for my recent 2 week land trip through the Pacific Northwest, and I saw there is now a "Bed Bug" Product. It's a spray (sort of like flea spray).

I bought a can, as we were staying in National Park cabins, but never had to use it. The cabins were all very clean, linens crisp & white, so no specks of blood or dirt or anything else on the sheets, mattress, or seams.

And no sign of any bugs of any kind either (not even mosquitos).

Did have a couple of flies, but a folded newspaper made short work of them! As others have posted, I usually do check the beds now, and use the luggage rack (not the bed) for suitcase. But I do avoid hotels that have an article about Bed Bugs (just to be on the safe side).

I had the Penn Hotel in NYC booked, when the report of Bed Bugs hit Tripadvisor & the news, I changed my reservation to the Edison Hotel.

Happy travels.

• 4 years later...

I think I will take 8 little decorative, lightweight plastic bowls found at the Dollar Tree. Place wheels in bowl of water. Bed bugs can’t swim. While I find it a nice idea not to worry about it, I am highly allergic to most all bug bites. Mosquitos cause an all-over rash, etc. I would hate for my 16 day Italy trip to be ruined by horrible, itchy rash!

It’s definitely worth a few minutes to inspect for bugs, or evidence of bugs. Then you don’t have to worry about itchy bites spoiling your trip, or taking unwanted hitchhikers onto the ship, or into your house.

Edited by lisiamc

Not sure how good it is, or if it works, but I was shopping for my recent 2 week land trip through the Pacific Northwest, and I saw there is now a "Bed Bug" Product. It's a spray (sort of like flea spray).

I bought a can, as we were staying in National Park cabins, but never had to use it. The cabins were all very clean, linens crisp & white, so no specks of blood or dirt or anything else on the sheets, mattress, or seams.

And no sign of any bugs of any kind either (not even mosquitos).

Did have a couple of flies, but a folded newspaper made short work of them! As others have posted, I usually do check the beds now, and use the luggage rack (not the bed) for suitcase. But I do avoid hotels that have an article about Bed Bugs (just to be on the safe side).

I had the Penn Hotel in NYC booked, when the report of Bed Bugs hit Tripadvisor & the news, I changed my reservation to the Edison Hotel.

Happy travels.

How on earth does one come to resurrect a post which is almost 5 years old :D

How on earth does one come to resurrect a post which is almost 5 years old [emoji3]

They google bedbugs on cruise ships or something like that and the old Cruise Critic threads come up. Cruise Critic threads come up as results when searching google. They don’t pay attention to the dates or they don’t care.....