Safety Issue for Solo Cruiser at Beaches?

My3Cents

I'm worried about looking like a target as a single female on the beach excursion in Costa Maya with Norwegian. And, safety of belongings when in the water? Not a social butterfly but want to be safe. Any single females have the experience and how was it?

Need to do a search for waterproof pouch that's not too cumbersome that I can take in the water with me if I'm at the beach alone. What is the name for that item to google it? I can imagine it, but haven't seen one. Thanks!

http://Www.gripstic.com holds phone passports money and more. 5.5 x 6.75 100% water proof pouch to 32 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would recommend booking with Maya Chan for the Costa Maya day. We have been and loved it there. In fact, so much so we are going again in March when our cruise stops there. It is very safe there, and you will be assigned your own palapa.

You will NOT be the only passenger from your ship there...guaranteed! You don't really need to be worried. You'll know others from your ship by the towels! You don't have to be a 'social butterfly" to say hi to the folks sitting near you....(and believe me, no one is far from another!)...

Need to do a search for waterproof pouch that's not too cumbersome that I can take in the water with me if I'm at the beach alone. What is the name for that item to google it? I can imagine it, but haven't seen one. Thanks!

When I was on the Escape last they sold waterproof pouches for cell phones in the gift shop. Can’t remember the price but I don’t think it was unreasonable.

I cruise solo all the time and I take valuables with me into the water during beach trips, for the most. I have two waterproof pouches... one for my phone and the other for money/card. The only times I've not taken everything with me into the water is when in St. John, USVI during NCL excursions cause I felt it would be fine there on the shore.

When I was on the Escape last they sold waterproof pouches for cell phones in the gift shop. Can’t remember the price but I don’t think it was unreasonable

I got a NCL pouch on the Gem last year and it was $10. It's a nice size. The only drawback is you can't take pictures with it cause the back of it is a solid blue instead of clear, but it kept my non-phone stuff nice and dry. :cool:

:cool:

Edited by Bonobochick
font screw up

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and info! Has anyone been on the NCL excursion called "Beach Getaway"? On the NCL excursion site, there are only negative reviews. Like, really negative. I need to book something via the cruise ship to feel safe. No ruins (been there done that), no snorkeling, party boats, etc, but a relaxing beach day. I may spend this one on the ship based on reviews. That might not be bad either. Anyone do the "Beach Getaway" on NCL at Costa Maya port?:cool:

I think you are asking about being the victim of a crime but I just have to point out a different perspective. Are you planning on just hanging out on the beach or actually going swimming. I would never swim in the ocean if I was traveling alone without a buddy. Too easy to get into trouble without someone knowing you are out there. I would really urge you to make a buddy in your roll call or on an excursion if you plan on swimming at the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sanger727 - in the water just to get wet not really swim. I've wised up over the years because I once swam alone as you described and looked up to see I was very far out and not a person in sight. Never, ever again! I'm simply nervous about being anywhere in Mexico alone and on the beach, it's pretty obvious. I am looking at a NCL shore excursion that I've asked about in a post in this thread. But, if I don't hear someone with a recent good experience, will likely stay on the ship in Costa Maya. I'm much more comfortable in the eastern Caribbean but it's going to be at least a couple of years before they're really ready for tourism.

You will be missing one of the nicest ports if you decide to stay on the ship. Plenty to see in the port area, and a wonderful beach day at Tropicante (google Trip Advisor reviews) if you decide (www.sandalsandskis.com). It’s owned by Steve Uhl, an American. If you email him to reserve a lounge chair, he will give you detailed instructions on how to get there. It’s a short walk outside of the port area to the taxi stand. The walk is safe. I did this many times as a solo cruiser. The taxi cost is $2. You will be met where the taxi drops you off by one of Steve’s employees. There is no charge at Tropicante, but they do expect you to purchase refreshments.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and info! Has anyone been on the NCL excursion called "Beach Getaway"? On the NCL excursion site, there are only negative reviews. Like, really negative. I need to book something via the cruise ship to feel safe. No ruins (been there done that), no snorkeling, party boats, etc, but a relaxing beach day. I may spend this one on the ship based on reviews. That might not be bad either. Anyone do the "Beach Getaway" on NCL at Costa Maya port?:cool:

Don’t take that one. Take the “Party bus & beach getaway.” It goes to Uvero Beach Club. Really nice place. Drinks are included but not food. The bus part isn’t like a wild party just music and drinks. The regular beach getaway used to go to Uvero but now goes to some gross resort.

Don’t take that one. Take the “Party bus & beach getaway.” It goes to Uvero Beach Club. Really nice place. Drinks are included but not food. The bus part isn’t like a wild party just music and drinks. The regular beach getaway used to go to Uvero but now goes to some gross resort.

Thanks. Reviews make it sound pretty gross. I will likely end up staying on the ship. Appreciate the response.

Don’t stay on the ship. Go on YouTube and search for videos about the Costa Maya port area and/ Uvero Beach Club, or the other places people have mentioned here. Seeing it will make it less intimidating.

Watch a bunch of videos so when you get there you won’t feel lost. You really will be missing a lot if you stay on the ship.

You will be missing one of the nicest ports if you decide to stay on the ship. Plenty to see in the port area, and a wonderful beach day at Tropicante (google Trip Advisor reviews) if you decide (www.sandalsandskis.com). It’s owned by Steve Uhl, an American. If you email him to reserve a lounge chair, he will give you detailed instructions on how to get there. It’s a short walk outside of the port area to the taxi stand. The walk is safe. I did this many times as a solo cruiser. The taxi cost is $2. You will be met where the taxi drops you off by one of Steve’s employees. There is no charge at Tropicante, but they do expect you to purchase refreshments.

I second this!

Have been there twice now--second time kind of unplanned, as our ship was supposed to sail Eastern Caribbean, but Fall 2017 hurricanes intervened.

Tropicante is great!

Mexican staff speaks English.

Food is well prepared to order and delicious (I have food allergies, so that is always a concern, but felt comfortable after making this known to Steve and staff).

Owner, Steve is American (Originally from Texas, as I recall). We met an American couple (Steve's friends who live in Mexico) last time we were there too--nice folks!

Older gentleman will meet your taxi/shuttle with your name on a chalk board when you arrive.

On the Jade, NCL was selling one in the photo shop. Actually I just used it, and a good product. I lent my other one and didn't get it back, that always, had a slight "seepage" which required me to load with zip locks.

The NCL one, held up perfectly to rental car keys, and a small device.

I agree with everyone about not missing this port. The port is extreamly clean and safe when you get off the ship and walk the dock. Even when you leave the gate... there are plenty of taxis and security guards right there. To me this was a nicer, safer feeling port area than Tortola, St Thomas, Cozumel, Roatan. There's even a big pool in the center of the port.

I second this!

Have been there twice now--second time kind of unplanned, as our ship was supposed to sail Eastern Caribbean, but Fall 2017 hurricanes intervened.

Tropicante is great!

Mexican staff speaks English.

Food is well prepared to order and delicious (I have food allergies, so that is always a concern, but felt comfortable after making this known to Steve and staff).

Owner, Steve is American (Originally from Texas, as I recall). We met an American couple (Steve's friends who live in Mexico) last time we were there too--nice folks!

Older gentleman will meet your taxi/shuttle with your name on a chalk board when you arrive.

how easy is it to get a cab back to port ? would hate the stress of not being able to get a cab