Explanation of Breakaway Internet rates?

DaisyGoldberg

Need some handholding here -- for some reason the Breakaway sells their time plans in MB -- so 300 MB = $59, 1000 MB = $125.

I haven't the slightest clue how much email/Facebook time that's going to get me. Not going to watch videos or anything fancy -- just literally check in with family at home to assure them I'm fine and they're the same. Maybe scan a news site or two if something's going on.

I get 30 mins free for being Platinum and that has been sufficient for me on a 7 day cruise, but this is a 12 day and I wondered how much extra I'd actually get for $59.

I believe it's cheaper to buy pre-cruise, otherwise I'd just ask the internet manager. I can also opt to wait until I've used the 30 mins and then see what "remainder of cruise" deals are offered. But I'm curious if the $59 would be worth it.

If you are very careful to set your phone properly, and log in/out carefully, you can make the 300MB plus platinum last. But we are also on a 12 day (this Sunday - same as you?) and I will get the 1000MB plan because both my daughter and I will be using it. And trying NOT to use it too much and hoping I don't need to buy more.

You save the activation fee by buying ahead.

The trick is this: Make sure you turn off all applications that don't need to run. Set your email so it does not poll for new mail every minute. There are more tricks. See the Internet Cafe manager to learn what to do with your phone so it doesn't consume data without you knowing. Set facebook so it does not start videos without you clicking. Avoid video like the plague. Watch out for news sites on that. I am a news hound and it's tough to get news without video. Consider using the messenger app to stay in touch - text only. Good luck!

Thanks - I'm so paranoid I feel safer just going to the internet cafe and using their computers (if they even have them any more. I know the Dawn still does). It keeps me disciplined - drop by, log in, send/read required messages, log out, phone stays safely in safe the whole time.

If they don't have that option I guess I'll stop by and let them configure my phone accordingly! (You are right about auto play videos on news sites)

If you are not watching video, or posting pictures, but simply reading websites, CC, and e-mail, 1000 MB is a lot of data. If you start watching videos or have them load automatically from web sites it will go quick.

Most importantly, whether you are using an Android tablet, phablet or smartphone, or iPad/iPhone, make sure you know or get someone to help you (pre-cruise) to turn off background update (apps & system) as well as iCloud or Google Drive uploads (they run "transparently") in the background, saving your settings & backing up photos & videos.

Be careful that very often, these settings are set to do this while on WiFi (yes, in the case, paid WiFi ... unlike at home or at work) vs. using cellular data. Roaming data should also be off.

For the Breakaway, the 300MB plan should be sufficient for the light user, video streaming & Youtube, etc. are blocked & you might find news video disabled as well - since the ship's satellite bandwidth is finite & shared among 6,000 pax & crew. From my actual experience last year & earlier this month on the BA, each minute of "live" airtime is consuming about 1 MB worth of data, less if it's mostly text with graphics turned off/videos disabled - more than 1 MB per minute if it is graphics intensive, like uploading images (which is usually faster than downloading)

Go see the iCafe manager on day 1 or day 2 - if you decided on the 300 MB plan, have him merge or combine the 30 minutes/30 MB data together, so you will have 330 MB or about 330 minutes to use over 12 days or whatever. Keep in mind that you must sign-out after each use and only sign-in each time to use the inTERnet, with the log-in you created & password protected. Minutes are rounded up and it take sometimes more than 10 or 15 seconds to connect & disconnect, while the usage "Meter" continue to run.

There is a written printout/guide at the iCafe for all users to explain & show how to do it, etc. - pick one up and it's fairly simple once you get the hang of it.

I recommend using Facetime AUDIO calling instead of video as it is less bandwidth intensive & will work better. For news, I use "AP Mobile" on our Androids, with "photos" turned off with the App's settings, that reduced data use and faster to load, scroll & read on major events around the world ... unless I needed to zoom to a local news channel's App, as they tend to be use video clips & run ads, slowing things down.

I answered someone else's question about WiFi on the Gem this morning - most of the info is relevant & useful. BA's network or SSiD is "NCL_Internet_Breakaway" and that's what you want to connect to.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54647586&postcount=6

While you are trying to figure these geek talk - you might as well download & install the free NCL App, "iConcierge" from the Play Store (or, have someone help you) before cruising, it's useful to keep track of dining reservaations, booking shows and Onboard charges posted to your account, etc.

Most importantly, whether you are using an Android tablet, phablet or smartphone, or iPad/iPhone, make sure you know or get someone to help you (pre-cruise) to turn off background update (apps & system) as well as iCloud or Google Drive uploads (they run "transparently") in the background, saving your settings & backing up photos & videos.

Be careful that very often, these settings are set to do this while on WiFi (yes, in the case, paid WiFi ... unlike at home or at work) vs. using cellular data. Roaming data should also be off.

For the Breakaway, the 300MB plan should be sufficient for the light user, video streaming & Youtube, etc. are blocked & you might find news video disabled as well - since the ship's satellite bandwidth is finite & shared among 6,000 pax & crew. From my actual experience last year & earlier this month on the BA, each minute of "live" airtime is consuming about 1 MB worth of data, less if it's mostly text with graphics turned off/videos disabled - more than 1 MB per minute if it is graphics intensive, like uploading images (which is usually faster than downloading)

Go see the iCafe manager on day 1 or day 2 - if you decided on the 300 MB plan, have him merge or combine the 30 minutes/30 MB data together, so you will have 330 MB or about 330 minutes to use over 12 days or whatever. Keep in mind that you must sign-out after each use and only sign-in each time to use the inTERnet, with the log-in you created & password protected. Minutes are rounded up and it take sometimes more than 10 or 15 seconds to connect & disconnect, while the usage "Meter" continue to run.

There is a written printout/guide at the iCafe for all users to explain & show how to do it, etc. - pick one up and it's fairly simple once you get the hang of it.

I recommend using Facetime AUDIO calling instead of video as it is less bandwidth intensive & will work better. For news, I use "AP Mobile" on our Androids, with "photos" turned off with the App's settings, that reduced data use and faster to load, scroll & read on major events around the world ... unless I needed to zoom to a local news channel's App, as they tend to be use video clips & run ads, slowing things down.

I answered someone else's question about WiFi on the Gem this morning - most of the info is relevant & useful. BA's network or SSiD is "NCL_Internet_Breakaway" and that's what you want to connect to.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54647586&postcount=6

While you are trying to figure these geek talk - you might as well download & install the free NCL App, "iConcierge" from the Play Store (or, have someone help you) before cruising, it's useful to keep track of dining reservaations, booking shows and Onboard charges posted to your account, etc.

Yikes!!! I sure hope there is someone in the Internet Cafe who can help me with all of this. I have no idea what you are talking about and I am computer savy.....but not real good using my IPHone. Not a cell phone user much so trying to figure out all the settings gives me a headache. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 300MB plan and my wife used it checking work emails, it was 80% gone in two days loading 200 emails.

Zero videos, zero pictures and only ten minutes of searching eBay/Amazon for prices of the TAG I bought and a painting they had for sale which turned out to be 1200% overpriced. (The TAG was priced slightly better than on land)

Is the Breakaway the only NCL ship that charges by data used? ...
As far as I know, BA is the only ship in the fleet crediting the 250 minutes "free" promo deal as 1 GB or 1,000 MB (since 2015-16) and most recently, put the offer in writing/digital form to upgrade to UNLIMITED at a "reasonable" price, for X number of days.

I have not sailed on other NCL ships lately, except the GEM (and we did not find an identical deal/bundled offer) - and, cannot affirm yes/no for other ships. Read my last BA review on the details, how many minutes we got out of the promo package without upgrading (which is a fair way of using one's OBC, if available - should one find it necessary for work, family & other urgent/emergency situations)

Under my SIGNature link below, I've also updated the iConcierge App info, with screenshots & tips on how to get the most out of using paid satellite WiFi at sea with NCL (and, it is still slow compared to RCL's Voom) The fleetwide trial - rollout announced this Spring did NOT happen.

Keep in mind that optimized hardware used, whether it's iOS and/or Android based, also affect the end user's experience - as it is, somewhat, subjective.

Another related point - if you travel international on a "regular" basis and/or cruise a lot, consider looking at your home carrier's options and global travel package ... while in foreign ports as we are captives on high seas due to the satellites. Spend money wisely and enjoy the open water, know your options ... just don't burn money just to keep up with that Facebook or Facetime "addiction". :halo:

We just got from the pearl last week. I had the 250 free minutes go art of our package) then I had my 30 minutes for platinum and my husbands 30 minutes. I used my iPad for everything. Well after a few days it popped up I was out of MB, but plenty of actual minutes remaining. I ask the Internet guy and he said " you are good to go, some of the larger ship use MB" well that was unsettling if I would of ran out of MB that fast but for this cruise I was ok.

I only checked and deleted emails, did 3 calls thru FaceTime,posted on Facebook.

You can type all your messages on messenger while offline. Oh yes, I checked the weather daily.

For minutes I was good with my total 310. Had I been on MB, no way.

Followup - I am just back from our 12 day Breakaway.

My daughter and I made a 1000MB plan last (+20MB lattitudes benefit added.)

We had 2 ports with North America included so we used our data plans in Mexico and Port Canaveral of course. The rest of the days we rationed and were careful.

I did a 10-15 minute check in for weather, news and email.

My daughter got 20-30 minutes a day being careful to avoid video and image heavy pages. So about 100MB a day carefully rationed.