Rum Runners, Water Bottles, Mouthwash bottles

Hi all this is my DH and I first time cruising and I have heard stories from my grandmother who has been cruising since the 90's my aunt who cruises once a year on how to smuggle liquor. They have used water bottles to get their contraband on board. I am wondering how do u get it past TSA? I am so afraid of being caught. I wanted to buy the alcohol in Miami when I get there and out vodka in my lotion bottles. Is that a smart idea. I have a ton of those or should I do the rum runners any one have any ideas that have workedicon5.gif for them?

Best of luck..The RCI has gotten wise to all the creative ways we used to smuggle...;)...Enjoy your cruise !!!! Even if you have an excursion to the "Naughty Room"...:eek:...DH made that trip...he actually found it interesting....LOL ! LOL !:D:D

As far as TSA goes...their pretty good at their job !!!!

The TSA has NOTHING to do with the ship...the airlines don't care if you pack liquids in your checked bags....

The ship DOES care if you pack alcohol....and they do check water bottles and mouthwash bottles (not sure I'd want my Vodka to taste like Scope!)

Just put small bottles in your checked, LOCKED luggage...if it makes it...great. If it doesn't, they'll hold it for you and give it back on the last night, as long as it's in an original bottle. Put it in something else, and they dump it.

I just cant picture putting any good alcohol in a mouthwash bottle,much less a lotion:eek::eek: bottle...........I cant see how you can possibly get all the scent out of the bottle........

I know, that's absolutely disgusting.

Any bottle has the capacity to leak, but alcohol transfered to another bottle has more chance of leaking, I'd say. I've had all kinds of leaks in my own luggage, not from alcohol but from hair products, lotions, sunblock, etc.

If you must smuggle, please double Zip Lock your bottles. I don't want your alcohol on/in my suitcase. Thanks.

airport security/tsa does not care if you have liquor in your luggage.

the cruise line cares. either use rum runners, a plastic flask or orig bottle. don't bother with anything else. really.

it'll make it or it won't. if it's liquor you value (Crown Royal, in my case), use original container to ensure it's return to you.

Hi all this is my DH and I first time cruising and I have heard stories from my grandmother who has been cruising since the 90's my aunt who cruises once a year on how to smuggle liquor. They have used water bottles to get their contraband on board. I am wondering how do u get it past TSA? I am so afraid of being caught. I wanted to buy the alcohol in Miami when I get there and out vodka in my lotion bottles. Is that a smart idea. I have a ton of those or should I do the rum runners any one have any ideas that have workedicon5.gif for them?

Don't mess with TSA or you may not even get close enough to the ship to worry about smuggling your liquor on board. As for the ship, rum runners in checked bags amongst the luggage hardware work best.

I just cant picture putting any good alcohol in a mouthwash bottle,much less a lotion:eek::eek: bottle...........I cant see how you can possibly get all the scent out of the bottle........

I should have stressed empty never used lotion bottles the kind you can get from the store to take with you when you travel with the white top. But I think I would be better just getting the liquor when I get to Miami and putting it into the rum runners. I am flying into FT Laud. Then my best friend who lives there is taking us to the port in Miami. So I figured I could place the alcohol into my bags then I do not have to worry about TSA. But how do the rum runners pass thru?

If they see a suspicious container in your bag when you check it onto the ship they will hold it for a look. A bunch of filled bottles may raise eyebrows or may not.

I once was on a spring break cruise where the carry-on security agent offered mock wonderment at why so many people needed huge, full bottles of mouthwash for such a short cruise (as they were confiscated).

For those of you who don't fly often these are the rules for liquids:

1) Carry on bags (i.e., your purse or a bag that is 21 inches or smaller that you "carry on" to the plane yourself) NO LIQUIDs. Don't pack alcohol, rum runners, or any liquids or gels (unless its 3.4 oz or less and fits into a quart sized zip lock bag).

2) Checked bags (i.e. the suitcase you give the reception desk when you check in to put underneath the plane, which you collect in baggage claim at your destination when you arrive). You are allowed to bring 5 liters of alcohol per person, in the US (by the TSA)... this may be different on international flights (not sure). This is from the TSA website:

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

If you try to smuggle alcohol in your carry on bags, you are a real jerk and asking for trouble. You will make the rest of us trying to get to our gate wait, and I hope you get arrested.

If you are trying to smuggle alcohol on your checked bags, NO Problem. It is only actually considered smuggling by RCI, not TSA. Happy cruising to you.

I know, that's absolutely disgusting.

Any bottle has the capacity to leak, but alcohol transfered to another bottle has more chance of leaking, I'd say. I've had all kinds of leaks in my own luggage, not from alcohol but from hair products, lotions, sunblock, etc.

If you must smuggle, please double Zip Lock your bottles. I don't want your alcohol on/in my suitcase. Thanks.

Glad Press N Seal is the best invention ever for travelling. Even if it leaks it is contained in the press n seal. Amazing stuff. We wrap everything that can leak in it.

The consenus on the boards goes for Rum Runners. There a tons of thread regarding the best way to get alcohol on board (just do a quick search). Some threads are funny, some are downright flaming. That being said, what I have discovered: Rum Runners are great, once you get them, test them with water to be sure there are no leaks, once you fill them in Ft. Lauderdale put the rum runner in a couple of ziplock bags, (One poster also suggested wrapping a baby diaper around it - for leakage!), place the rum runner in amongst your clothing - not all in one spot, and away from anything that might 'poke' it causing a leak. Best to do 1 rum runner per suitcase.

How do they work? I believe (from what I've read) is that since they are all made of plastic -and the shape of them(like a bladder) doesn't really show up on the ships screening machine.

I too, was thinking about using a mouthwash bottle, but everyone says the 'flavor' of mouthwash taints the alcohol...YUCK!

If you do decide to put the alcohol in your suitcases at home, do as the others have said ... DO NOT PUT IN YOUR CARRYON. YOu can put any amount of liquid in your checked luggage. TSA (at security) will confiscate anything over 3 oz. It makes no difference if you have a 5 oz container 1/2 full. It is GONE! Granted, some have made it through , but don't attempt it. That will give them further reason to do a complete carryon bag search. Also, many have said that even with the minatures in carryon/checked luggage at the ship - they get those too!

Many have also said they have had no trouble putting in the original bottle in checked luggage and the ships scanners do not find it. Luck of the draw I guess.

Thank you to all who have had some great and not so great influence. I ordered the rum runners. I also called TSA ans a rep stated that alcohol can be placed in your checked bag but not in rum runners rules state that it must be in orginal packaging. So I plan on buying the alcohol in FL. Then fliining up thr rum runners. IS there any location I should place them into I have one 32 oz and my hubby has one for his bag. Or should I put it into my carry one with my extra shoes and cothes? Thanks

Thank you to all who have had some great and not so great influence. I ordered the rum runners. I also called TSA ans a rep stated that alcohol can be placed in your checked bag but not in rum runners rules state that it must be in orginal packaging. So I plan on buying the alcohol in FL. Then fliining up thr rum runners. IS there any location I should place them into I have one 32 oz and my hubby has one for his bag. Or should I put it into my carry one with my extra shoes and cothes? Thanks

I have been putting my wine in rum runners and then packing it in checked luggage and never had a problem when flying in. Does that mean that even the TSA scanners can't pick it up? Maybe I've just been lucky.

Thanks for the heads up on this because it is just as easy to put the box of wine in the suitcase and then change it out before boarding since we always go in a day early.

Tucker in Texas

Rum runners - only penalty is having it taken from you. This last trip I just tossed a pint of rum into my toiletry kit. I don't believe it's TSA doing the scanning at the port.

Me too - love ziploc bags. Also -if you're *really* worried about a leak from say the big rum runners - put a diaper in the ziploc with it - if it leaks it will absorb it all.

Glad Press N Seal is the best invention ever for travelling. Even if it leaks it is contained in the press n seal. Amazing stuff. We wrap everything that can leak in it.

I should have stressed empty never used lotion bottles the kind you can get from the store to take with you when you travel with the white top. But I think I would be better just getting the liquor when I get to Miami and putting it into the rum runners. I am flying into FT Laud. Then my best friend who lives there is taking us to the port in Miami. So I figured I could place the alcohol into my bags then I do not have to worry about TSA. But how do the rum runners pass thru?

Another reason not to use those "lotion bottles" = they simply are not food grade plastic. don't ruin your liquor!

Our Rum Runner's made it onboard just fine, my good bottle of scotch did not. So while in port we bought some more vodka and Gatoraide, poured out half the Gatoraide and added the vodka. Walked back onboard the ship with our pre-mixed cocktails. They did open one bottle and sniff since we had 4 large bottles, no prob. Now I get to have my scotch!

Kevin

You all are great smugglers !! Thanks for the info.....hopefully no one will have to walk the plank !! As I mentioned earlier most of the drinks are overpriced and then add the gratuity as well. I prefer to tip for good service. Personally I purchased a wine package for dinners and will order some drinks but my favorite is rum and pineapple juice. Nothin better than smuggled Rum with their pineapple juice. We booked 7 months ago and it was a fair price. After all the hype it went up $700-$800 pp. RCL makes plenty without bending us over !!

Archived