OK...feeling VERY stupid to ask this question re: insurance...

momof4girls

I have been debating whether to ask this question for a couple weeks now. I just know I'm going to be laughed at, and I'm afraid of what some people might say to me. :o:o

So...is travel insurance (and remember I have NEVER really traveled before...other than visiting family) something you pay every month for, from the time you purchase it until the time you return from your trip? Or is it a one-time payment...

I have been debating whether to ask this question for a couple weeks now. I just know I'm going to be laughed at, and I'm afraid of what some people might say to me. :o:o

So...is travel insurance (and remember I have NEVER really traveled before...other than visiting family) something you pay every month for, from the time you purchase it until the time you return from your trip? Or is it a one-time payment...

Momof4girls,

No, the travel insurance is a one time payment. It covers you if you have to cancel your cruise or if you get ill while you're away.

Jonathan

First, that is a good question.

Second, you pay the complete premium when you purchase the policy. That policy is written to cover one trip. In your case this would be your Jan 27, 2011 cruise. If you cruise again in the future you would need to purchase another policy.

ok wow...now that I see it's a one-time payment, I don't understand why you wouldn't buy the insurance? Eeek...shouldn't have said that...probably opened up a can of worms. *hiding*

You are a VERY wise MOM. Remember, insurance is like a parachute.... If you don't have it when you need it..... It's too late.

The only question that is stupid is the one that isn't asked. Haave a great cruise. P.S. The kids will have a lot to do, don't worry.

Wow..lots of policies to choose from..Which policy do u recommend buying? i will be travelling w/my family 4 of us..next summer RCCL. I want insurance mostly to cover incase we need to cancel for some crazy reason...any policy u recommned?

lisa

Wow..lots of policies to choose from..Which policy do u recommend buying? i will be travelling w/my family 4 of us..next summer RCCL. I want insurance mostly to cover incase we need to cancel for some crazy reason...any policy u recommned?

lisa

Lisa I know it can be challenging but I recommend that you compare the major policies to see what works best for you.

If you enter the data that is requested on insuremytrip.com and then after it proposes policies you can then utilize the site to do a nice comparison for you.

Keith

I am purchasing my travel insureance thru the same company that I have car and rental insurance thru. They are charging me 26.00 per person...that is half of what I would pay if I were to buy it thru the cruise company.. just thought it might be easier if you were able to call your own company who you trust rather than get it from a internet based company (not saying the internet company isnt good):D

I am purchasing my travel insureance thru the same company that I have car and rental insurance thru. They are charging me 26.00 per person...that is half of what I would pay if I were to buy it thru the cruise company.. just thought it might be easier if you were able to call your own company who you trust rather than get it from a internet based company (not saying the internet company isnt good):D

Just be sure that it covers the same type of things that a travel insurance company would cover. A couple of years ago I looked at a policy from my regular insurance company and it fell short covering all that I needed. So, be sure it covers key items including insurance for the trip, medical insurance, and medical evacuation and all of the other items covered by travel insurance.

Keith

there are many diferences in what is covered in your policy, some just medical, some just cancelation, some both with extras like med air lift etc. most cancelation insurance is just for medical reasons only. to get a policy that will cancel for any reason would cost more. also if you are covering the cost of just the cruise or the cruise and the flight etc. lots to think about:confused:

Just be sure that it covers the same type of things that a travel insurance company would cover. A couple of years ago I looked at a policy from my regular insurance company and it fell short covering all that I needed. So, be sure it covers key items including insurance for the trip, medical insurance, and medical evacuation and all of the other items covered by travel insurance.

Keith

Thanks for bringing up those good points Keith, we are active duty military so I will be sure to call tricare to make sure that any medical would be covered and then I will call USAA back and see if there is any thing not covered. When I called them the only things I ask about were if hubby got deployed or his leave got cancelled and if there were weather problems and the cruise was to be cancelled. Again thanks for the info. :D

ok wow...now that I see it's a one-time payment, I don't understand why you wouldn't buy the insurance? Eeek...shouldn't have said that...probably opened up a can of worms. *hiding*

neither do I momof4girls but plenty do. They spend hundreds or even thousands on their holiday but baulk at the cost of the insurance. Maybe they just think nothing bad will ever happen to them ever or it hasn't happened in the past so it won't happen in the future. It is certainly something I'll never gamble on.

Not sure if they do this in the US or not, but in the UK as well as selling single premium one trip policies, they also sell annual policies that cover multiple trips and automatically renew eeach year (annual payment to bank account or credit card) unless you tell them you don't want to renew. Often here it works out cheaper to buy the annual policy depending on where you are travelling to.

Hello,

As other posters have told you, your question is not a stupid one. It is a very good question. Travel insurance is one of those things you need to buy because travel generally, and especially by cruise ship is not an exact science where everything is going to go exactly as planned.

My late wife and I always bought travel insurance. We never filed a claim until our cruise to South America in April of 2009. Our flight to Buenos Aires was delayed, causing us to spend overnight in Dallas. The travel insurance company reimbursed us for all of our out of pocket costs.

Do not hesitate with your questions, no matter how stupid you think they are. This is all new to you and it is a wise person who asks questions.

If you are purchasing insurance for a single trip, then it is a one time payment. If you are purchasing travel insurance for all your travels for one year, then you can work out a payment schedule.

Just purchased our trip insurance. When checking I look for the following:

- Coverage for pre-existing medical issues (if interested this coverage usually needs to be purchased within 15 to 21 days of trip deposit. Some are 180 prior to trip, others are 60 days.

- Is coverage primary or secondary? Primary means that policy will pay first. Secondary means they wait until any other insurance you have pays..this can cause some delay.

- With someone with a health history, adding extra medical coverage for that person might be warranted.

I think we all buy insurance hoping we will never need it and travel insurance is no different. $400 on a $5000 trip may seem like a lot but if you have to get someone off a ship for a medical emergency you'll be glad you have it.

We had a cruise to Hawaii planned and my son-in-law was in the reserves. He felt comfortable NOT purchasing travel insurance. Less than 30 days prior to leaving on the cruise, he got called up to active duty and couldn't go. He was furious at the cruise line for not refunding 100% of the cost to him. He is still cruising and still refusing to purchase travel insurance in spite of this mess. We purchase the insurance as just that....insurance, in case the worst, never would have thought of, couldn't have anticipated thing happens. As with any vacation, accidents, family emergencies and situations occur that you have no control over. My Mom is on Medicare, which doesn't pay if you are out of the country and need care. The doctor's visit on the ship is very expensive. It's just smart to purchase. It's also very inexpensive if you are young and healthy. Cost is based on age and cost of the trip.

Under most circumstances there is a one-time charge for travel nsurance that covers just the one trip that is covered. You can also get annual travel insurance. This may be cheaper for people that travel multiple times each year. You buy it one time and it covers you for all of your travel for the next year.

This has already been answered, but to keep my response somewhat on topic - it's a one-time payment.

That being said, I'm dismayed at how many posts I've read this morning that start out with something along the lines of, "Please don't yell at me", "Please don't shout at me", "I know this is a stupid question". They vary along those lines.

Are we as Cruise Critic members responding too harshly to a lot of posters - new or otherwise?

Kind of sad to think that people are planning a happy time in their lives (vacations), they come to Cruise Critic for advice and so many new ones are posting that they fear being "flamed", "shouted/yelled at" or thought of as stupid.

Hmmmm...something to think about.

It seems to me that I am in the minority here. I view trip insurance as a waste of money. All the insurance policies that I’ve read have so many exceptions, that it has a very little value to me. Never traveled with one.

If the policy had no exclusions, you would not be able to afford it. Do you have car insurance? Do you have home insurance? Do you have life insurance? Do you have medical insurance? All of these policies have exclusions. If you want to pay more, you can get travel insurance with less exclusions, however, you will not find any insurance policies with no exclusions.

It seems to me that I am in the minority here. I view trip insurance as a waste of money. All the insurance policies that I’ve read have so many exceptions, that it has a very little value to me. Never traveled with one.

Try squaremouth dot com. For the first time I purchased travel insurance as we were flying to Santiago 4 weeks after the earthquake. No matter what the conditions, this policy covered it, less than $182 total for me and my spouse. That being said, we are both healthy, both under 50 and I don't know why but something told me to do it.....10 days before the earthquake. I do not feel it was a waste, more like a pre-emptive strike. Being that far away is serious business when traveling. I know I can cover costs from the Caribbean or Mexico but, can I afford being airlifted out of the Strait of Magellan? Well, probably but, I'd rather have the insurance. I don't buy it all the time but, now that we're getting older, I sure do think about it more..........You may too one day :)

Archived