Carnival Conquest Deli

mimxmom

I am wondering if the deli on The Conquest has the premade sandwiches or are they made to order? I like to change it up a little and not sure they would do that if it’s prepare.

on any ship, you can order the sandwich the way you want, if they say no, try this,,,

i wanted tuna on rye, was told only the reuben came with rye, so i said ok, give me a reuben, take off everything, throw it away, and put tuna, lettuce and tomato on it,,,,looking shocked the 2 guys in the sandwich station did as instructed, and the next time i ordered my tuna on rye, unbelievably a loaf of rye bread had appeared!;p

I don't understand the benefits of premaking a sandwich.

Less labor. You can have 1 employee man the station vs 2. They have less downtime because they use that to make more sandwhiches when no one is present.

How did you find them? Were they willing to make to order?

not quite sure on what you mean by how did you find them? They will reluctantly make sandwiches to order. I asked the cook if he like this way of pre made or the old way. he said everyone likes the old way better as everyone wants different condiments. To me' date=' a turkey with mustard is gross, pastrami should not be served with a tomato sauce, Cuban sandwiches need to be pressed, meatball sandwiches should not be served with Ricotta on a roll, really weird, and don't tell the guests what they want condiments they want on the sandwiches. When I asked for a hot pastrami on bread, he looked confused.

"Less labor. You can have 1 employee man the station vs 2. They have less downtime because they use that to make more sandwhiches when no one is present."

not really, there were always 2 or 3 people in the deli. The new method is so inefficient, completely backfired on Carnival. The toaster ovens take twice as long as the panini presses.

When we were on the Conquest in April they were pre-made. I did not see/hear anyone asking for a custom build so I don't know what the reaction would have been. They stayed so slammed so custom builds would have def impacted their "efficiency." I am NOT a fan of premade for many of the reasons listed above. Dietary restrictions and personal combination preferences can make premades a culinary nightmare for some patrons.

not quite sure on what you mean by how did you find them? They will reluctantly make sandwiches to order. I asked the cook if he like this way of pre made or the old way. he said everyone likes the old way better as everyone wants different condiments. To me, a turkey with mustard is gross, pastrami should not be served with a tomato sauce, Cuban sandwiches need to be pressed, meatball sandwiches should not be served with Ricotta on a roll, really weird, and don't tell the guests what they want condiments they want on the sandwiches. When I asked for a hot pastrami on bread, he looked confused.

"Less labor. You can have 1 employee man the station vs 2. They have less downtime because they use that to make more sandwhiches when no one is present."

not really, there were always 2 or 3 people in the deli. The new method is so inefficient, completely backfired on Carnival. The toaster ovens take twice as long as the panini presses.

Meant the quality of the sandwiches. Wonder when they will admit this does not work and go back to the old way.

Will be on the Conquest in October and hope that happens by than

I've found that they will gladly modify sandwiches for people who aren't barking orders at them. Be courteous and more than likely they will be willing to get you what you want as long as it's not that far outside of the available menu options, I.e. No sauce/different sauce etc. Also, if you're going to make a special request, don't go during peak hours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am wondering if the deli on The Conquest has the premade sandwiches or are they made to order? I like to change it up a little and not sure they would do that if it’s prepare.

The old deli which is much better.

Great for the cruiseline pretty bad for passengers who are used to getting it their way

We're always pretty quick to imagining the worst-case scenario. I'd bet you'd be surprised how many people are fine with a premade and don't say a word.

:'):')

on any ship, you can order the sandwich the way you want, if they say no, try this,,,

i wanted tuna on rye, was told only the reuben came with rye, so i said ok, give me a reuben, take off everything, throw it away, and put tuna, lettuce and tomato on it,,,,looking shocked the 2 guys in the sandwich station did as instructed, and the next time i ordered my tuna on rye, unbelievably a loaf of rye bread had appeared!;p

We're always pretty quick to imagining the worst-case scenario. I'd bet you'd be surprised how many people are fine with a premade and don't say a word.

As a restaurateur, there is an old restaurant adage, people don't complain, they just don't return. Obviously the ship is different, but generally people are afraid to complain. I have heard so much on this board about people afraid to speak up.

Been on about 40 cruises with Carnival and used to have it made to order and how I like it. One size fits all can work for some people but not for me.

If you like mustard with turkey and pastrami would you be happy with say ketchup?

As a restaurateur, there is an old restaurant adage, people don't complain, they just don't return. Obviously the ship is different, but generally people are afraid to complain. I have heard so much on this board about people afraid to speak up.

You nailed it. People seem to accept so much from Carnival as they think it will keep pricing low.

Been on about 40 cruises with Carnival and used to have it made to order and how I like it. One size fits all can work for some people but not for me.

If you like mustard with turkey and pastrami would you be happy with say ketchup?

A cruise isn't very long. There are plenty of dining options and it won't kill you to go without your ideal sandwich for say' date=' 7 days. I, for one, love the new deli. Give me one of those buffalo chicken sandwiches any day because that is not something I can easily make at home. I was just on the Miracle and was disappointed that they still had the old deli, complete with the long lines, indecisive people, and boring bread choices.

A cruise isn't very long. There are plenty of dining options and it won't kill you to go without your ideal sandwich for say, 7 days. I, for one, love the new deli. Give me one of those buffalo chicken sandwiches any day because that is not something I can easily make at home. I was just on the Miracle and was disappointed that they still had the old deli, complete with the long lines, indecisive people, and boring bread choices.

It will not kill me not to have the sandwich made my way but seems like a very unneccessary cutback that doesnt even same them anything.

Your buffalo chicken sandwich would taste even better freshly made than sitting around for who knows how long

It will not kill me not to have the sandwich made my way but seems like a very unneccessary cutback that doesnt even same them anything.

Your buffalo chicken sandwich would taste even better freshly made than sitting around for who knows how long

If you've ever worked in an average restaurant you would know that most things are not made to order' date=' including pieces of fried chicken for sandwiches. If you have the proper equipment to store the premade food, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The only thing is that people are able to "see" some of the premade things behind the counter instead of it being hidden out of view.

restaurant owner here, unless you are talking about fast food or Golden Corral, you are very wrong. There is no good way to hold any fried food, fresh out of the fryer is the only way to serve. We cook everything to order.

That is true, but let's not pretend like premade is the only wild card here. Some people are turned off by waiting in lines, prices, and choice to name a few. You'll never make everyone happy. People mentioned choice in this thread like the condiment is the only variable. The new menu is bigger, and offers more options. I always enjoyed a good pastrami/corned beef from the old menu. Other than that, it was a pretty bland selection. The new one still has that and now meatball, buffalo chicken, blt, cuban, hot dogs, southwest chicken wrap, and even potato salad/fries. Now I have not yet tried the new menu yet, but I am excited to.

And guess what? If you don't like the standard fare, ask them to make something for you. Carnival employees rarely say no. The amount of complaining from "Regulars" gets annoying. I wonder if a new cruiser would get more excited for the new or old menu?

That is true, but let's not pretend like premade is the only wild card here. Some people are turned off by waiting in lines, prices, and choice to name a few. You'll never make everyone happy. People mentioned choice in this thread like the condiment is the only variable. The new menu is bigger, and offers more options. I always enjoyed a good pastrami/corned beef from the old menu. Other than that, it was a pretty bland selection. The new one still has that and now meatball, buffalo chicken, blt, cuban, hot dogs, southwest chicken wrap, and even potato salad/fries. Now I have not yet tried the new menu yet, but I am excited to.

And guess what? If you don't like the standard fare, ask them to make something for you. Carnival employees rarely say no. The amount of complaining from "Regulars" gets annoying. I wonder if a new cruiser would get more excited for the new or old menu?

This diamond member will certainly give it a try in October and form my own opinion.