Royal/Regal interior sideways v regular

antsp

I have mixed feelings. I booked the sideways on Royal based on feedback on cruise Critics but normally I like a hallway at an entryway before entering my living quarters. But since everyone says the sideways cabin is roomier I'm taking a chance with it.

I really think you are going to be happy with your choice. Please let us know. When you get back.

Good luck and have a great cruise!!!

Tony

Twin configuration in a quad cabin on the Ruby which should be similar on the Royal & Regal:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35870916&postcount=3

Royal/Regal twin beds inside cabin twin occupancy:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ed/01/e8/ed01e887c63d097157a54f6a5709db1b.jpg

Thanks, seeing a pic really helps. We wouldn't book a quad. But, for a sideways cabin (in twin configuration), one bed would really be right next to the door.

I am also looking at these cabins on Royal and am wondering about the bed alongside the wall by the entry door. Wouldn't they hear a lot of hallway noise? Or I guess just put the heavier sleeper there. They do look roomier than the regular interiors. We would have three in one of the cabins so would need to have the bunks.

Thanks, seeing a pic really helps. We wouldn't book a quad. But, for a sideways cabin (in twin configuration), one bed would really be right next to the door.

The picture looked like a regular cabin, but suffice to say the one bed is not "right next to the door".

Found this pic. Good view of the door and the twin set-up.

y5y2uryd.jpg

When we had a sideways cabin on a Grand Class ship the desk was where you show the bed that is near the door.

Picture below shows the cabin with a queen size setup, but the desk is next to the door, a small part of which is at the left of the photo.

101_1767EmeraldPrincessCabinR515_zpsb0788c2e.jpg

Do any of the sideway cabins on the Royal/Regal have the extra beds come out of the ceiling instead of being mounted on the wall?

Probably not because none of the numerous discussions about this type of cabin has said the extra beds were recessed in the ceiling. I did see a photo of a Royal/Regal standard balcony cabin that had one bed recessed into the ceiling.

Probably not because none of the numerous discussions about this type of cabin has said the extra beds were recessed in the ceiling. I did see a photo of a Royal/Regal standard balcony cabin that had one bed recessed into the ceiling.

Thank you for your input.

Do any of the sideway cabins on the Royal/Regal have the extra beds come out of the ceiling instead of being mounted on the wall?

My wife's friend always books a sideway cabin on the Royal for her and the kids. she said no.

Tony

My buddy has strong view :) I see it differently. I leave the cabin early each mornng. My wife sleeps late. I dislike that once I open the door, shes seen by all who pass lying in bed. That bothers me. Yes the room is a little larger. Would I pass up a free balcony upgrade for one? Never ..... My children at home don't have open access to our bedroom, why would it be ok on a cruise.

To each his own.....id rather not have one....IMHO.

I agree. DH and I keep very different early morning and late evening hours. There is nothing in the layout or few extra square feet of space that offset the lack of privacy and additional noise from being so close to the corridor. I would not choose a sideways cabin and would book a guarantee cabin only as a last resort.

When we had a sideways cabin on a Grand Class ship the desk was where you show the bed that is near the door.

Picture below shows the cabin with a queen size setup, but the desk is next to the door, a small part of which is at the left of the photo.

101_1767EmeraldPrincessCabinR515_zpsb0788c2e.jpg

Interesting. I like this set-up!

I agree. DH and I keep very different early morning and late evening hours. There is nothing in the layout or few extra square feet of space that offset the lack of privacy and additional noise from being so close to the corridor. I would not choose a sideways cabin and would book a guarantee cabin only as a last resort.

Thanks PescadoAmarillo! Always glad to read your comments!

Noises bother me and I am a light sleeper. So, anytime I hear about "additional noise," I take notice. If anyone says noise is a problem, I probably will have the same experience. Maybe I should go with my gut and just stick to a regular inside.

Thinking about it, another thing to consider is that sideways cabins the bed Is orientated in the same direction as a balcony cabin bed, whereas a a regular inside cabin the bed is oriented facing where the balcony would be.

This might effect enjoyment of the "rocking motion" of the ship,

Thinking about it, another thing to consider is that sideways cabins the bed Is orientated in the same direction as a balcony cabin bed, whereas a a regular inside cabin the bed is oriented facing where the balcony would be.

This might effect enjoyment of the "rocking motion" of the ship,

Interesting thought!

I still can't decide between a regular inside or sideways on Royal. Due to possible noise factors in a sideways, I would have to go with a regular inside. We would have the beds in a twin set-up and one bed would be really close to the door and hallway. Plus, is it really worth $180 more to go with a sideways? I mean, it is still an inside and the $180 could be used elsewhere.

I still can't decide between a regular inside or sideways on Royal. Due to possible noise factors in a sideways, I would have to go with a regular inside. We would have the beds in a twin set-up and one bed would be really close to the door and hallway. Plus, is it really worth $180 more to go with a sideways? I mean, it is still an inside and the $180 could be used elsewhere.

Only you can make that decision. ;)

I booked a sideways Royal cabin during the 3 for Free promotion & thus paid for the least expensive inside cabin & got the midship IA category sideways cabin. So I'm not paying anything extra for that location but not sure if I'd pay $180 for it.

Once I paid $249/pp for an upsell offer on a 17-day TA cruise. That moved us from a sideways IA inside to a deluxe balcony & since we had already had a cheap fare the total cost was worthwhile for us but may not for anyone else.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Only you can make that decision. ;)

I booked a sideways Royal cabin during the 3 for Free promotion & thus paid for the least expensive inside cabin & got the midship IA category sideways cabin. So I'm not paying anything extra for that location but not sure if I'd pay $180 for it.

Once I paid $249/pp for an upsell offer on a 17-day TA cruise. That moved us from a sideways IA inside to a deluxe balcony & since we had already had a cheap fare the total cost was worthwhile for us but may not for anyone else.

Thank you for your response. We are trying to go with the least expensive inside (I wish Regal/Royal had window cabins!!) and I really don't want to pay $180 more for another inside even if it is a sideways. But, most people seem to rave about the sideways and that it is confusing me and I am wondering if I am missing out. Guess I am cheap, but $180 would pay for parking or something else.

Thank you for your response. We are trying to go with the least expensive inside (I wish Regal/Royal had window cabins!!) and I really don't want to pay $180 more for another inside even if it is a sideways. But, most people seem to rave about the sideways and that it is confusing me and I am wondering if I am missing out. Guess I am cheap, but $180 would pay for parking or something else.

I like the sideways for its extra space. But I will not pay $180 additional from an inside regular for a 7-day sailing.

I've booked a sideways inside twice on the Royal & Regal but both times accepted a reasonably priced upsell to a deluxe balcony cabin. Looking at our fall cruise it's selling well so we don't expect to get a reasonably priced balcony upsell so will be able to form my opinion about sideways vs. standard inside cabins.

Hopefully Princess designed those cabins with sufficient sound protection for a bed closest to the hallway. I rarely hear noise through the interior wall dividing our cabin from adjacent cabins. So I'm not overly concerned about hallway noise in a sideways cabin. But if I'm wrong, I'll take that side of the bed & have foam ear plugs which worked well during my flying career. ;)

I don't recall reading the length of your cruise & guessing that's $180 for 2 passengers.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hopefully Princess designed those cabins with sufficient sound protection for a bed closest to the hallway. I rarely hear noise through the interior wall dividing our cabin from adjacent cabins. So I'm not overly concerned about hallway noise in a sideways cabin.

Noise through the walls should not be a problem.

However noise might filter in via the small space under the door to the hall.

I've booked a sideways inside twice on the Royal & Regal but both times accepted a reasonably priced upsell to a deluxe balcony cabin. Looking at our fall cruise it's selling well so we don't expect to get a reasonably priced balcony upsell so will be able to form my opinion about sideways vs. standard inside cabins.

Hopefully Princess designed those cabins with sufficient sound protection for a bed closest to the hallway. I rarely hear noise through the interior wall dividing our cabin from adjacent cabins. So I'm not overly concerned about hallway noise in a sideways cabin. But if I'm wrong, I'll take that side of the bed & have foam ear plugs which worked well during my flying career. ;)

I don't recall reading the length of your cruise & guessing that's $180 for 2 passengers.

I have stayed in a sideways cabin on three cruises. I never heard any noise coming from the hallway or from the cabins next to us. When and if I book a inside cabin again. It will be a sideways cabin If available.

Tony