Kids Programs?

cruisead

Again, as long as you are sailing with your children during the summer or school break, most people do not have a problem when a few children are on board. It is when many of us avoid school holidays and pay a lot of money to have an adults-orientated vacation and then someone takes their kids out of school that I see a problem.

I'm not sure why you apparently assume that parents are pulling their children out of school to go on a cruise. For rxample, different schools have different vacation and holiday schedules, there are year-round schools as well as those on a more traditional schedule.

This summer we have to fly and fully expect to see tons of children at the airport, in the airplane and everywhere else. It is my choice to fly when school is out and, IMO, I have no right to expect children to be quiet, polite or civil. This is their vacation time and I respect it. It would be nice to see the respect be mutual!

I'm not sure what you are saying here... Is it disrepectful for parents to take their kids on cruises during times you don't expect to see children on cruises? As for the rest, kids will be kids, but you've every right to expect kids to be polite and civil.

We did a 3 week cruise a couple of years ago with only one child on the ship. He was about 7 and was really trying to behave. I noticed that no one would sit near them at dinner or when they were by the pool. The only people I saw that were nice to the family were crew members. The last week of the cruise, this sweet child could probably not take it anymore and went down a long hallway - running and screaming at the top of his lungs. I certainly do not blame the child but wonder what his parents were thinking!

It sounds like the behavior of the passengers was awful. Maybe the kid couldn't take the cruelty any longer. I'd guess his parents were thinking that their fellow passengers would treat them and their child with common decency.

In terms of shy or introverted teens, I would want my child to at least have the opportunity to spend some time with others of their age. Sitting and reading and/or playing games all the time does not sound particularly healthy - either from a physical or mental standpoint.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions about "shy or introverted teens", how parents should provide for them, and what is healthy or unhealthy for them when cruising and I'm sure your remarks stem from concern about them. I can assure you that the welfare of our son is very important to us and that we factor that in when making vacation plans. We wouldn't bring him on our upcoming cruise if we felt he wouldn't enjoy it or if we thought his behavior would negatively affect other passengers.

Edited by gbp

He's 16 now, and he is looking forward to his first Oceania cruise and our first visit to the Baltics.

What great memories he will have

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise & make many lasting memories (of the good kind )

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Princess has great children's programs

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%20608_zps232nif24.jpg

Howard

Great suggestion! IMO, it is sad that parents of young children don't "get it" yet. They probably will when their children are grown and they are looking for a quiet vacation. Oceania and luxury cruise lines give the type of atmosphere that we waited for many years. Thankfully, the majority of our cruises have been child-free.

P.S. gbp: The way passengers treat families that are on Oceania and/or luxury ships when school is in session (regardless of what type of school a child goes to, they know when schools in the U.S. and Canada are not in session) is the only way we really can handle the situation without being rude. IMO, ignoring families is not confrontational but hopefully makes a point. There are very few cruise lines that prefer adult passengers when school is in session....... there are many, many, many choices that welcome children all year and, as mentioned previously, they are substantially less expensive than Oceania. I am not trying to be rude or difficult but have waited many years to travel child-free. There are no child-free cruise lines (yet) so we pay the money and cross our fingers.

Note: I have posted several times that it would be so gracious if cruise lines had one or two weeks during the summer that were child-free to enable teachers and child care workers to have a relaxing cruise. While they love children (as do I), even they need a break and are only able to take vacation when school is not in session.

I think this very dislike of children is a Oceania problem. At least people will know where not to go so as to expose them to such hostility. Crystal has a children's program and area on their ships. I have never read of any problems caused by them being onboard.

In terms of shy or introverted teens, I would want my child to at least have the opportunity to spend some time with others of their age. Sitting and reading and/or playing games all the time does not sound particularly healthy - either from a physical or mental standpoint.

Spoken like a true extrovert. ;)

And never the twain shall meet...

Even the best behaved and mannered children will have a bad day, much like adults. The difference is, adults should know better and have better self control. That hasn't stopped some pretty egregious behavior I've seen in adult only situations, so I"m not sure we can always lay the blame on minors.

We shall have to agree to disagree.

OP, I wouldn't worry, since your child's fare is as much as yours they have every right to be there. Until Oceania says no one under a certain age then it's up to the parents to do what they feel is right.

In Europe on the larger ships I always see more children than on the R ships.

Having said all that, yes the Oceania experience is pretty much in no way geared toward children, other than a few Alaska sailings. As long as a person knows that upfront and still decides to go it's their business.

Until the anti-child group are making the rules it's nothing other than their personal preference, just like the ones that don't like smoking, or bands, or trivia in Martinis at night, or whatever their personal peeve is.

I'm fine with a few kids on board. It doesn't effect me any more than anyone else.

I

You are certainly entitled to your opinions about "shy or introverted teens", how parents should provide for them, and what is healthy or unhealthy for them when cruising and I'm sure your remarks stem from concern about them. I can assure you that the welfare of our son is very important to us and that we factor that in when making vacation plans. We wouldn't bring him on our upcoming cruise if we felt he wouldn't enjoy it or if we thought his behavior would negatively affect other passengers.

The real real reason many take their kids on all sorts of adult experiences and places has been long known to psychologists even if the children and their parents haven't figured it out. The real underlying reason is that the adults are really doing it for themselves, even though they may deny it. They subconsciously superimpose their superior, ( in their eyes) wants and needs to their souse, and children.

What a noble and loving idea to be so thoughtful and to be so giving, all the time ignoring that its all really the parent wanting to give his adult values to his non adult children.

Why of course our child will love this..I do, and I just know that they will benefit from this, or I would never take them.. Again, the adult decides this, thinking as an adult and never considering that anyone could find fault with what was my judgment.

Putting anyone adult or child into an environment that they are uncomfortable with or ill-suited for creates withdraw and many other problems down the line. Reading the poor childs emotional withdraw was so sad..he has been forced to be in denial of his childhood and is thrown into this foreign world. In essence a child robbed of his childhood....are you sure you want to take that away from your child... because later, you can never ever give it back.!

That, years later will be remembered... and its seeds may produce not healthy life and relations .That poor child, needs to get into a childs world with childs activities and social interaction.. not what you think as an adult for you . They are not, nor should be thrust into adult things and pressured to behave just like their parents and other adults.. The withdraw / shy is the result of something far larger that needs to be addressed

Kids are pleasers.. and most of the time if you ask if they are happy they will read you and give you an answer that they think will please you. They will be more honest with others and non parents..

Taking a 6 year old or and 11 yearolds judgment as an honest truth is not reality. How many 6 and 11 yearolds do you rely on at work?

So, parents, grandparents should seriously examine their real motivation and the reality of what they are and for WHO. The addict dosen't feel he has a problem and not me... So too, for all of us.. to take a good look at not so much what we are doing but the real reason why and for who.

This applies to not just cruises but any interaction that we as adults rationalize for our children.

I wish you all well... and hope that given the opportunity you wont harm someone you love. They say the road to hell is paved with good intention

The real real reason many take their kids on all sorts of adult experiences and places has been long known to psychologists even if the children and their parents haven't figured it out. The real underlying reason is that the adults are really doing it for themselves, even though they may deny it. They subconsciously superimpose their superior, ( in their eyes) wants and needs to their souse, and children.

What a noble and loving idea to be so thoughtful and to be so giving, all the time ignoring that its all really the parent wanting to give his adult values to his non adult children.

Why of course our child will love this..I do, and I just know that they will benefit from this, or I would never take them.. Again, the adult decides this, thinking as an adult and never considering that anyone could find fault with what was my judgment.

Putting anyone adult or child into an environment that they are uncomfortable with or ill-suited for creates withdraw and many other problems down the line. Reading the poor childs emotional withdraw was so sad..he has been forced to be in denial of his childhood and is thrown into this foreign world. In essence a child robbed of his childhood....are you sure you want to take that away from your child... because later, you can never ever give it back.!

That, years later will be remembered... and its seeds may produce not healthy life and relations .That poor child, needs to get into a childs world with childs activities and social interaction.. not what you think as an adult for you . They are not, nor should be thrust into adult things and pressured to behave just like their parents and other adults.. The withdraw / shy is the result of something far larger that needs to be addressed

Kids are pleasers.. and most of the time if you ask if they are happy they will read you and give you an answer that they think will please you. They will be more honest with others and non parents..

Taking a 6 year old or and 11 yearolds judgment as an honest truth is not reality. How many 6 and 11 yearolds do you rely on at work?

So, parents, grandparents should seriously examine their real motivation and the reality of what they are and for WHO. The addict dosen't feel he has a problem and not me... So too, for all of us.. to take a good look at not so much what we are doing but the real reason why and for who.

This applies to not just cruises but any interaction that we as adults rationalize for our children.

I wish you all well... and hope that given the opportunity you wont harm someone you love. They say the road to hell is paved with good intention

+1 Let children be children..... they will be adults most of their lives. Cruising is a wonderful education and an opportunity see the world. After a day of touring, they deserve to be on a ship where they can act their age -- not the age of their parents.

OP, I wouldn't worry, since your child's fare is as much as yours they have every right to be there. Until Oceania says no one under a certain age then it's up to the parents to do what they feel is right.

In Europe on the larger ships I always see more children than on the R ships.

Having said all that, yes the Oceania experience is pretty much in no way geared toward children, other than a few Alaska sailings. As long as a person knows that upfront and still decides to go it's their business.

Until the anti-child group are making the rules it's nothing other than their personal preference, just like the ones that don't like smoking, or bands, or trivia in Martinis at night, or whatever their personal peeve is.

I'm fine with a few kids on board. It doesn't effect me any more than anyone else.

+1 agree.

Hmmm....just....wow.

After gathering my thoughts:

Of course we, as adults, do what we want. Otherwise every vacation I'd've taken over the last decade would have been spent in the basement of the San Antonio Children's Museum, my kids' favorite spot on the planet when they were young.

Of course we, as adults, impose our adult expectations on our kids. I expect my kids to learn to comport themselves, even in situations that are boring. I hope to instill my love of travel and new experiences in my children. I expect my kids to use the experiences they gain traveling to better inform their view of the world around them. You could also consider this imposing of expectations to be "parenting" though there is certainly more to it, including taking your children's needs into consideration as well.

I'll leave the neurochemical basis of introversion to the neuroscientists, but suffice it to say it does not have to do with never letting your kids talk to other kids.

Edited by ljandgb

What great memories he will have

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise & make many lasting memories (of the good kind )

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Thank you! I know this cruise will make our 25th anniversary even more special. I was fortunate to have parents who instilled in me a love for travel. It's great for my wife and I to see our son also enjoying the thrill of visiting new places.