Med Evac on Adventure this morning

We were awoken by an announcement at 5 that there was going to be a medical evacuation. A while later we could hear the Coast Guard helicopter outside of our windows.

3e2764ee3f154769aa9aaf79a65ed5e9.jpg

No word on what happened. Hoping all in involved are ok. Hats off to the wonderful Coast Guard for their efforts. It was quite windy and rainy at the time!

We were on the Navigator a few years ago and the first morning I woke up to find the ship had turned around and was heading back to Miami because of a medical evacuation. My husband was on the jogging trail early in the morning on an upper deck and noticed when the ship turned around. There were 2 Coast Guard helicopters circling the ship. It was very windy that day and they tried a few time to land and had to pull back and circle some more. Finally they landed and the med evac person was transported in one helicopter and her family in the other. We learned later that day that the woman was doing well in a hospital in Miami and was grateful for all the help getting her there.

The whole effort was pretty amazing.

Happen's more often then you think. One's I've witnessed they always lowered the basket by the pool, never used the Landing Pad on ships that have them, safer this way. Was on Enchantment, Grandeur, Voyager and Sovereign when Coast Guard lifted a passenger away. Bad enough for patient but always feel for family left behind...

I’m sure you would have heard if there was a problem. Remember how many people are on this ship - including employees. Chances are good it isn’t your relative. But I get why you are worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I mentioned earlier, I have never seen a medevac, but do have a related heartwarming story.

Two years ago on Liberty, on Day 2 I was walking back to my cabin after a morning at the pool to get changed for lunch when an Alpha (medical) call came over the PA for an incident at the FlowRider. My brother, who spends most of the day there boogie boarding, mentioned in conversation that evening that he heard a rumor that a 12-year-old had suffered a heart attack. This scared us a little, and we were hoping the child was okay. We never heard anything until the last day of the cruise when we went to the Captain’s Corner, and Captain James MacDonald presented the Royal Caribbean Hero Award to a deck attendant who happened to be in the right place at the right time and helped this child, possibly saving his/her life. While the rumor was never confirmed that there was a heart attack, the Captain said that if it hadn’t been for the swift actions of this crew member, the child may not have made it, but thanks to him, the child was doing well. This warmed my heart not only to see such heroism, but also to see the crew member being publicly recognized for it. Just another reason to be Loyal to Royal! As far as I know, there was no medevac needed in this case, and needless to say everyone was happy to hear the good news regarding the child’s condition.

Thanks again for sharing, and I hope the person(s) involved is doing well. Have a great rest of your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by CreativeCruiser119

.........also to see the crew member being publicly recognized for it. Just another reason to be Loyal to Royal........

That scenario could have happened on any cruise line.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Let's not forget how hard Royal works the crew members with very little time off and low pay. Definately a reason to be Loyal to Royal. To bad they don't publicly recognize them for this. :rolleyes:

Like I said in other rescue yesterday, interesting they never use the Helipad, all rescues I witnessed always basket and located away from the front...

Most of the helipads are not large enough for the USCG Dauphin helicopters. And anyway, landing a helicopter on a moving ship requires a lot of training for both flight crew and ship's bridge crew, and the cruise ship bridge crew doesn't have this experience. It is far easier for the pilot to let the ship maneuver as needed to keep the decks stable, and then adjust to keep station on the ship from flight, with the attendant greater separation (and more reaction time) than when landing.

As for being away from the "front", the ship is moving forward (forward motion is needed to maintain heading and minimize rolling), so the pilot would be constantly being "chased" by the ship. Much easier for him/her to "chase" the ship than the other way around.

And you will notice that normally when the basket is raised a few feet off the deck, the helicopter moves to place the basket over the water, so that if things go sideways, the person in the basket has a landing in the relatively softer water than the steel of the ship. It also gives more room if winds gust and the basket starts to swing.

There was a mention of this on my local news. I believe they said the person was airlifted to my local hospital here in Wilmington, NC (New Hanover Regional Medical Center). I'm so grateful that we have such a wonderful and prepared Coast Guard to help out in these situations. Kudos to them and all involved, and prayers for the woman involved & her family.

Melissa

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Let's not forget how hard Royal works the crew members with very little time off and low pay. Definately a reason to be Loyal to Royal. To bad they don't publicly recognize them for this. :rolleyes:

And did you do sea duty? Looking at your sig block.

How many hours did the sailors work? For how much pay?

And they did not have even a shared cabin, but a shared BUNK.

If the pay is so bad, why does anyone work for them?

• 2 weeks later...
Like I said in other rescue yesterday, interesting they never use the Helipad, all rescues I witnessed always basket and located away from the front...

On the July 13th sailing of AOS we had 2 medevacs. The first one took place on our way down to Port Canaveral. We were diverted closer to the SC coast so the coast guard could pick up the passenger. It took place on the helipad and not the pool deck. The 2nd medevac took place while in port in Nassau. We had just left and were only 5 minutes into our sailing and the ship backed into port. An ambulance met the passenger on the dock.

On the July 13th sailing of AOS we had 2 medevacs. The first one took place on our way down to Port Canaveral. We were diverted closer to the SC coast so the coast guard could pick up the passenger. It took place on the helipad and not the pool deck. The 2nd medevac took place while in port in Nassau. We had just left and were only 5 minutes into our sailing and the ship backed into port. An ambulance met the passenger on the dock.

This last incident resulted in some good luck for one passenger. He had initially missed the ship in Nassau and was able to board when the ship came back.