Useful or not?

NewSalt

We've sailed on other cruise lines but not RSS. Two things we found handy were a retractable lanyard ID case for a sea pass card and luggage tag holders.

A friend has just her first cruise ever and it's on RSS. I'd like to get her a small bin voyage gift. Are these items things that would be useful on RSS?

First, welcome to the Regent board:D

It it's so nice that you want to give your friend a gift! Unfortunately no one on Regent wears or uses lanyards so it may be a little out of place. There are some great, inexpensive travel accessories on Amazon.com.

One very useful item would be a power strip. There are never enough U.S. plugs on the ship. They run about $10-15 and are small and lightweight. Many of them have USB ports so you can charge your cell phone, tablet, etc.

Hope that this helps.

These are great ideas. I never seen a small light weight power strip. I have two in my home and both are big and heavy.

Where do you plug in the nightlight. On most ships I see a plug in bathroom that says for shaver only.

Thanks

On other forums here, any suggestion of bringing power strips onboard for use in your suite/cabin will also come along with reminders that they should not be the types which also act as surge protectors. I am not an expert (at all), but apparently the surge protection in the power strip can play havoc with the ship's electrical system. So, it is recommended if you bring a small power strip to use onboard, make sure it doesn't have a surge protector.

We don't take power strips so I don't have any personal experience, just passing along others' suggestion.

Another suggestion might be a small LED nightlight for the bathroom. We usually take one with us...if I don’t forget to pack it.

I haven't been on my first Regent cruise yet but my only experience so far is that the cabins are pitch black at night. To my mind a small torch or light of some kind is essential for getting to the bathroom without disturbing your partner.

These are great ideas. I never seen a small light weight power strip. I have two in my home and both are big and heavy.

Where do you plug in the nightlight. On most ships I see a plug in bathroom that says for shaver only.

Thanks

The outlet that is labeled for "shavers" in a low current outlet. That said an LED night light uses less current that a shaver. I have one that will work on 220 or 120 volts.

I use the round far candles that are battery powered in the bathroom and anywhere else in the suite that might need illumination during the night. They are very light and easy to pack.

We do the same thing, best of all the crew like them so we leave them after the cruise.

Nice nice light. Was just thinking that if the TS want to spend a bit less money, on the same page as the power strip is a set of plug adapters for only $7.99. This is also very useful and enables people on the ship to use additional outlets.

Just a side note ; it is bothersome to me that 1- most of Regents passengers are from the US yet most of the outlets are European ? 2- they place the 2 US outlets next to each other making them in most cases usable for only one connection. example- US-US-Euro. I would suggest -US Euro. US. But hay it's just me !

Note: these are the only US outlets in a standard suite except the Shaver in the bathroom.

Just a side note ; it is bothersome to me that 1- most of Regents passengers are from the US yet most of the outlets are European ? 2- they place the 2 US outlets next to each other making them in most cases usable for only one connection. example- US-US-Euro. I would suggest -US Euro. US. But hay it's just me !

Note: these are the only US outlets in a standard suite except the Shaver in the bathroom.

Agree with you 100%. We need more U.S. outlets! BTW, after taking the small power strip on our last cruise, we purchased another one for our cruise next month - just to make sure we have enough outlets.

no one uses lanyards on Regent? I always lose my cards on cruises without a lanyard.....what are your secrets?

No secrets, just haven't seen a lanyard on Regent (or Silversea). Actually, IMO, it is a good thing - especially when ashore where a lanyard would identify you as a tourist. Keycards easily fit in a pocket. Many women have very small handbags with shoulder straps. The only time I've misplaced my keycard was in my suite.

We've sailed on other cruise lines but not RSS. Two things we found handy were a retractable lanyard ID case for a sea pass card and luggage tag holders.

A friend has just her first cruise ever and it's on RSS. I'd like to get her a small bin voyage gift. Are these items things that would be useful on RSS?

There have been so many great little gift ideas mentioned on this thread and your first idea of a lanyard/clip is great also. I see people on all different cruise lines using them. Looking like tourists is part of the game..

Lanyards are common on mainstream cruise lines - almost everyone wears one. They are less common on premium and luxury cruise lines. There have been many discussions about this on a general board.

My point about looking like a tourist is that in some ports, this makes you a target (looking like a tourist - not wearing a lanyard). I can think of some ports where this could be a problem.

My suggestion against the lanyard gift was simply so that the person receiving the gift would likely not use it when they saw that no one else was. OTOH, the person would likely appreciate and use one of the other items suggested.

On main lines I used lanyard because of using my card often for signing for things but never on regent. You just don't use it that often so easy to put it away until using it...leaving ship or returning, entering room...that's about it.

Lanyards are common on mainstream cruise lines - almost everyone wears one. They are less common on premium and luxury cruise lines. There have been many discussions about this on a general board.

Maybe those mainstream cruiseline people could teach us luxury cruisers a thing or two! There is a photo of our former president at a pro sports event last weekend wearing a lanyard. Husbands don't like to carry little purses. :rolleyes:

Maybe those mainstream cruiseline people could teach us luxury cruisers a thing or two! There is a photo of our former president at a pro sports event last weekend wearing a lanyard. Husbands don't like to carry little purses. :rolleyes:

And, luxury cruisers could teach mainstream cruisers many things - not sure what the point is. I don't know what your DH wears but all of my DH's clothes (shorts, jeans, slacks - even most shirts) have pockets. Not sure why you are arguing. We are trying to help the TS by letting them know what is typical on Regent and what is not. Hoping we can keep this thread civil as, IMO, there is really nothing to argue about.

I am quite surprised how many people,feel the need to bring one or more extra plug sockets?

We have never felt that we required any extra sockets on board . Also are these deemed safe for use with multiple appliances plugged in? Jean.

You likely do not need extra plug sockets because, as brought up by another poster, there are more international plugs than plugs for the U.S. and Canada - even though most passengers are from the U.S./Canada. If someone wants to plug in a hairdryer, hot rollers or curling iron while charging a device that does not use USB (electric toothbrushes for example), there are clearly not enough plugs in regular suites.

In terms of safety, they absolutely are deemed safe for use with multiple appliances. The one that I recommended only gives you one extra plug but three USB ports (which is why I have two of them). There are several slightly larger and heavier units that can accommodate 3-4 plugs (possibly more) as well as USB ports. We just prefer the lightness of this particular unit. Apparently the one thing that one must pay attention to is that they do not have a surge protector.