Launderette etiquette

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:49 AM.
30 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
On some cruises they have a laundry promotion a bag of 20 items for $40, well worth it and it is amazing how much you can get in one of the laundry bags.

We are Elite on Princess and that is a very worthwhile perk especially when we travelled with the children. As Diamond on Cunard I get 20% discount on laundry but not until all my OBC has been used up.
Boston, MA, USA
201 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
A new use for pillow chocolates

This thread reminded me of a launderette story I heard on board QM2 in January 2016: a lady discovered that someone had removed her things from the dryer, thrown them on the floor and put in their own laundry instead.

She retaliated by putting pillow chocolates in the dryer, which not only ruined their clothes but also ruined the dryer. She was apparently let off at the next port.
New Jersey
9,032 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by Aquaphobic
A new use for pillow chocolates

This thread reminded me of a launderette story I heard on board QM2 in January 2016: a lady discovered that someone had removed her things from the dryer, thrown them on the floor and put in their own laundry instead.

She retaliated by putting pillow chocolates in the dryer, which not only ruined their clothes but also ruined the dryer. She was apparently let off at the next port.
I've heard that story, too. Didn't know she was put off the ship.

Last summer, someone hijacked the dryer I was using. I got back to the launderette, opened the dryer door, and was surprised to find unfamiliar clothing there. I turned, and found my wet stuff in a laundry basket--very wet, they must have made the swap about 5 minutes after I started the dryer. That's so rude! Although I'd heard the chocolate story, I did not retaliate. Tempted, though...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Boston, MA, USA
201 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
I've heard that story, too. Didn't know she was put off the ship.

Last summer, someone hijacked the dryer I was using. I got back to the launderette, opened the dryer door, and was surprised to find unfamiliar clothing there. I turned, and found my wet stuff in a laundry basket--very wet, they must have made the swap about 5 minutes after I started the dryer. That's so rude! Although I'd heard the chocolate story, I did not retaliate. Tempted, though...
I'm glad to know you resisted temptation.
Canada
46 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Here is my question: you finished washing your laundry and the dryer you need has clothes in it and are finished drying.

What do you do?

Being a reasonable person I always take it out and fold the clothes(not perfectly mind you).

I have seen people in the same situation simply throw the clothes on the floor.

While I find it very annoying that people forget to go back for their clothes and thus causing an inconvenience for people waiting, why would someone just throw clean clothes into the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Lincoln UK
220 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by tag1000
Here is my question: you finished washing your laundry and the dryer you need has clothes in it and are finished drying.

What do you do?

Being a reasonable person I always take it out and fold the clothes(not perfectly mind you).

While I find it very annoying that people forget to go back for their clothes and thus causing an inconvenience for people waiting, why would someone just throw clean clothes into the floor?

I too have removed and folded someones clothes that have been left in a dryer and find it inexcusable that others are prepared to throw someones washing on the floor. When I use the launderette I usually stay until it is completed listening to music on my headphones. In the past I have entered the launderette and noticed a dryer full of dry clothes which have not been collected and are still uncollected when I have completed washing and drying mine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pugwash123
Sailing on Fred Olsen Braemar - The Flavour of Spain 31st August 2018
Sailing on Cunard Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Highlights – 6th September 2019
New Jersey
9,032 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by Aquaphobic
I'm glad to know you resisted temptation.
It wasn't easy!

What do you do?

Because, sadly, some people are inconsiderate pigs.

Most people do fold dry clothes they remove from a dryer. On one of our recent crossings, one of the small laundry basket was full of folded clothing. It was there for several days. How can people forget about their laundry for that long???
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Lancashier
262 Posts
Joined Feb 2013

What do you do?

I am sure it would be wrong to put the dry washing on the floor, if you did it, may make the owner of the washing think twice about the next time they use of a dryer.
Blue Mountains
658 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
It wasn't easy!

Most people do fold dry clothes they remove from a dryer. On one of our recent crossings, one of the small laundry basket was full of folded clothing. It was there for several days. How can people forget about their laundry for that long???

I’ve seen that too. Maybe the person passed away so the clothes were no longer required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE - Syd-Kobe Feb 2017

Sea Princess Bris-Syd Jan 2017
Pacific Eden - Papua & New Guinea and Solomon Islands Oct 2016
Celebrity Solstice - Ultimate Alaska Sept 2015
Voyager of the Seas - Sydney to NZ Feb 2015
Carnival Spirit - South Pacific and Fiji - Nov 2014
Radiance of the Seas - Honolulu to Sydney - Sept 2012
Rhapsody of the Seas -South Pacific - Nov 2011